Author Topic: Finder modifications with ResEdit  (Read 17614 times)

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member (500+ Posts)
  • keep it simple
Finder modifications with ResEdit
« on: January 17, 2016, 11:53:48 AM »

The attached file contains three resources, that can be used combined or alone.

- The "fmn2" adds a "Quit Finder" option to the File menu.
- The "SIZE" increases the memory partition to the finder and greatly improves stability.
- The "PICT" adds a beautiful pict to the "About This Computer" window.

Click on this link to download the ResEdit file:
http://classic.is-great.net/download/file.php?id=38
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 02:27:03 PM by MacTron »
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline dr bu

• Gold Member (200+ Posts)
  • inconsistent soul
Re: Finder modifications with ResEdit
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 02:00:17 PM »
Here is a collection of Resexcellence pages showing basic hacks. I learned how to make personal keyboard shortcuts in Finder from these.
djupsinnig

Offline IIO

• just a number
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 05:35:03 PM »

i used to replace alias with * and copy with - since OS7.

insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member (200+ Posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 02:02:26 AM »
Thank you. That's cool stuff.

- The "SIZE" increases the memory partition to the finder and greatly improves stability.

That reminds me of the sunrise articles.
If it's approved by Mactron i will have to try it 😊
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline mrhappy

• new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 06:49:53 AM »
Yes that looks ;D very cool!!

Offline 9Teen90Nine

• Valued Member (10+ Posts)
  • Year 2K is only moments away!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 07:03:24 PM »
"About this computer" looks fantastic.  The other two mods seem quite helpful to.  Will definitely give this a go on my Wallstreet.
Apple maps, when you need to go somewhere but absolutely can't be there.

Offline darthnVader

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 04:48:06 PM »
I prefer Panels to the Finder.

One of you ResEdit wizards should be able to add the needed resources to Panels so I can replace the Finder in the System Folder.

Offline Mat

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 05:30:13 PM »
MacTron, could you explain this a little bit more in detail? What does this one do exactly? What are the size values that we can see here? What are the original values? Which machine do you recommend it for?  (Shall I try it at my 9600/G4800 as well for example?)

Offline adespoton

• Enthusiast Member (25+ Posts)
  • Crusty Member
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2020, 10:24:39 AM »
MacTron, could you explain this a little bit more in detail? What does this one do exactly? What are the size values that we can see here? What are the original values? Which machine do you recommend it for?  (Shall I try it at my 9600/G4800 as well for example?)

Since there's been no response, I'll add a bit of detail.

Adjusting the SIZE resource adjusts the default memory allocated to the application (in this case, the Finder).  It's the base value you see in a Get Info window.

Increasing this value means that if you have any additions to the Finder that take up more memory, you won't run into out of memory errors.  This can get complicated, as System Extensions sometimes modify Finder resources, and some of that gets stored in the System stack, some in the Finder stack.

I'd recommend this for any machine that has more than 256MB RAM, honestly.

Offline IIO

• just a number
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2020, 10:55:49 AM »
It's the base value you see in a Get Info window.

exactly, it is techically the same thing as the "get info" sizes of APPLs.

I'd recommend this for any machine that has more than 256MB RAM, honestly.

or if you plan to unstuff or rename 5000 files in a folder procedurally while the window is open.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline DesertMac

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2023, 02:00:53 PM »
I prefer Panels to the Finder.

One of you ResEdit wizards should be able to add the needed resources to Panels so I can replace the Finder in the System Folder.

What is "Panels"??

[Welcome to Our Community - Guidelines, News, & Social Posts] Retro Computing Enthusiasts are Masochists by Bolkonskij Today at 02:12:06 AM
[HELP BOARD ! Installing & Troubleshooting the Classic Mac OS] Does Mac OS 9 support the Apple SuperDrive? by GaryN Yesterday at 09:16:06 PM
[Storage] I Test SATA PCI Adapters So You Don't Have To - Mac PCI SATA Card Roundup by refinery Yesterday at 04:10:39 PM
[Hacking the System, Mac OS 9.3, and Beyond !] Boot without the "Mac OS 9 Drivers" by vaccinemedia Yesterday at 02:27:00 PM
[Mac OS 9 on Unsupported Hardware] Installing MacOS9 HDD drivers using terminal in OS X by caver01 Yesterday at 08:00:45 AM
[Sampler Software, Sample CDs, & Sample Libaries] GALLERY software - EOS Browser & EMU FileAssistant by Syn-Fi Yesterday at 05:47:00 AM
[Community Marketplace] Wanted :: Pro tools Hd compatible with Os9 (uk) by Syn-Fi Yesterday at 02:32:53 AM
[Video Cards, Monitors & Displays] Mac Mini G4 - OS 9 & 10.5 Compatible Touch Pannel - Does it Exist? by SabithaSuki March 27, 2024, 08:54:08 PM
[Mac OS 9 on Unsupported Hardware] Mac OS 9 booting on: Mac mini G4 (Detailed Posts) by bamdad March 27, 2024, 08:05:12 PM
[HELP BOARD ! Installing & Troubleshooting the Classic Mac OS] BlueBox in Mac OS X DP2 by zsn0w March 27, 2024, 12:39:08 PM
[Welcome to Our Community - Guidelines, News, & Social Posts] Thoughts on the future of Mac OS 9 Lives by Knezzen March 27, 2024, 08:40:21 AM
[Internet & Communications] Globaltalk (MARCHintosh project) by Bolkonskij March 27, 2024, 06:56:10 AM