Author Topic: "Invalid Btree Header, 0, 0" error...  (Read 37237 times)

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
Re: "Invalid Btree Header, 0, 0" error...
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2021, 12:28:55 AM »
As of this message, I do have 6.0.5 Norton Utilities and I was told that will fix this error under OS 9, or am I missing something ?

That will NOT fix the error AFAIR... you must backup all files and re-initialize the drive

Damn.. That means I will need to format my entire M2 SATA 512GB stick which includes Leopard and OS 9 - wow. If I were to try Norton Disk Doctor 6.0.5, it still won't fix it ?

Actually, if you have Leopard in HD then I recommend Alsoft DiskWarrior 5, it support HFS+ Journaled partitions too. And Alsoft still support G4 and G5 Macs(!) and sell it.

But big warning if you have ruined your disk with Norton then sometimes DiskWarrior cannot help, so order is try Diskwarrior first then Norton, because DiskWarrior tell what it can do, before it do anything.

I have seen older Diskwarrior (maybe version 2) installed on OSX 10.3 live-CD with iMac G3 in action about 15 years ago and it helped make physically broken HD (it made head sound)  readable for backup..it make new directory structure and then about half of files readable and it was last time that HD works when those files backup.

EDIT: It seems that Alsoft still sale older DiskWarrior 4 to G3 Macs too:
" If you have an older Mac running Mac OS X 10.3.9 (Panther) through 10.6 (Snow Leopard), you may consider ordering DiskWarrior 4 which ships on a Mac OS X startup CD or DVD. DiskWarrior 4 requires that you start up in Mac OS X version 10.3.9 (Panther) through 10.10.x (Yosemite). DiskWarrior 4 is not compatible with OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) or later. DiskWarrior 4 can only be obtained by first contacting our Technical Support Department" from https://www.alsoft.com/terms-of-sale

EDIT2: BIG WARNING! older DiskWarrior 3 doesn't support HDs that had been used with OSX 10.5.

EDIT3: little typo at > and.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 12:52:34 AM by teroyk »

Offline macarone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2021, 04:50:41 AM »
>Actually, if you have Leopard in HD then I recommend Alsoft DiskWarrior 5

I agree that DiskWarrior 4.3 is indispensible. It works fine on G4 and G5.

DiskWarrior came out it versions 5.0, 5.1, 5.2 and 5.2 (rel 2). On my G4 or G5, each versions starts the rebuild but freezes, and requires a Force Quit. Sometimes it causes a kernal panic.

Have others actually been able to have DiskWarrior 5.2 complete a rebuild?

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2021, 07:52:50 PM »
Please re-post video with Norton Disk Doctor fix... although I don't recommend disk doctor 6.0.3 on 9.2.2 as it has been known to make some errors on Mac OS 9.2.2 worse :(
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 08:53:03 PM by DieHard »

Offline peeperpc

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2021, 01:54:35 AM »
Please re-post video with Norton Disk Doctor fix...

[youtube]O1kEjT6JCwg[/youtube]

There are two drives with an OS 9 partition on each. Mac1 OS 9 is attached to a Firmtek 1s2 clone PCI card, while Backup OS 9 is connected through an IDE/SATA adapter with JMicron chip.

Here I booted from Backup OS 9 to fix Mac1 OS 9. Norton Disk Doctor could fix the problem. But if I boot from Mac1 OS 9 to fix Backup OS 9, Disk Doctor, be it 6.0.3, 6.0.4, or 6.0.5, won't be able to fix it ("an unknown error occurred..."). The adapter is the culprit (or you may say it's the Disk Doctor that can't operate through it). Because when both drives are connected to the PCI card, they can fix each other.

But having both drives on the card creates other problem. System will hang if I copy files between them. It looks like the card doesn't like current Seagate Barracuda drives.

although I don't recommend disk doctor 6.0.3 on 9.2.2 as it has been known to make some errors on Mac OS 9.2.2 worse :(

Acknowledged.

PS. I think this error, specifically one that is caused by OS X's Spotlight and Time Machine, doesn't need to get fixed. It has not caused any problem to me.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 02:52:36 AM by peeperpc »

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2021, 01:25:16 AM »
First time I get "Invalid Btree Header, 0, 0" error and I done that very fast:
I put new SSD.
I installed MacOS 9 and OSX 10.2 from Recovery DVD.
I little used Mac OS 9 (I made some tests with mLAN and format external Firewire drive with Lacie Silverlining)
Then I install OSX 10.5 to another partition (Yes I know, I should install OSX10.4 or OSX 10.3).
And in first boot of OS X 10.5  Apple logo turns forbidden logo.
Booting to Mac OS 9 and check with Disk First Aid and there it is: "Invalid Btree Header, 0, 0" error in all(!) partitions.
Both Installation Disks was original. OSX was retail 10.5.0.

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2021, 01:35:58 AM »
DiskWarrior came out it versions 5.0, 5.1, 5.2 and 5.2 (rel 2). On my G4 or G5, each versions starts the rebuild but freezes, and requires a Force Quit. Sometimes it causes a kernal panic.
Have others actually been able to have DiskWarrior 5.2 complete a rebuild?

Have you get contacted to Alsoft about that problem? And what they answered?

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2021, 02:40:06 PM »
There are two drives with an OS 9 partition on each.

this is not a general advice how to avid, fix, or ignore b-tree errors, but from my experience you can successfully keep using such partitions for 10 or 15 years without problems even after norton reported such a dramatic total failure error bug kind of thing.

when i an not wrong norton already reports that when you allowed journalling on that volume. (which you should not do when it is mostly used in OS9, but it is also not harmful.)
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2022, 12:45:42 AM »
where to order a working  Firmtek 1s2 clone?
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline Greystash

• Gold Member
  • Too many Macs..
    • Mac Classic, Mac Attic
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2024, 01:33:11 PM »
I've been trying to get an OS9 (separate SSD), 10.4, 10.5 setup on my MDD and have tried both GaryN's approach and Image.Material's.

Mac OS 10.2 (and I assume 10.3) doesn't seem to cause these errors because Spotlight and Time Machine aren't present.

Mac OS 10.4 is fine as long as you install it and disable Spotlight before creating OS9 drives with the following steps:
  1. Launch Terminal and run the following command:

Code: [Select]
sudo nano /etc/hostconfig
  2. Scroll to the bottom with the down arrow key to the following entry:

SPOTLIGHT=-YES-
  3. Change this to:

SPOTLIGHT=-NO-
  4. Save your changes by pressing Control + O, then press the return key.
      Next press the key combination Control + X to close the editor.

5. Next, disable indexing by typing:

sudo mdutil -i off
  • I assume GaryN's approach would work for 10.4, this is how I set it up before I came across this post.

Mac OS 10.5 I had a lot more trouble with, the Invalid Btree Header error would come about just from booting for the first time into Leopard and restarting into OS9. I tried GaryN's solution by excluding the OS9 drives from Spotlight and Time Machine but this install of Leopard seemed to be much more stubborn, it would cause disk errors no matter how I did this.
Image.Material's solution has worked for me in this case. By running the commands below the OS9 drives are set to read-only within OSX, while leaving them writable to OS9.

Here's how I set this up:
  • Install OSX 10.5 on one partition
  • Install OSX 10.4 on another partition
  • Boot into OSX 10.4 and disable Spotlight with the steps above
  • Boot an OS9 installer and format OS9 only drives, then install the system
  • Run Disk First Aid to ensure there are no disk errors
  • Boot OSX 10.4 (with spotlight previously disabled)
Open terminal and run the command below and copy the drive's UUID:
diskutil info /Volumes/yourOS9drivename
Then run the following command, but substitute "Leopard" with your 10.5 drive's name:
sudo nano /Volumes/Leopard/etc/fstab
Add this line to prevent Leopard from writing to the OS9 drive:
UUID=YOURCOPIEDUUID none hfs ro
Press Control + O to save changes, and the Control + X to exit the editor

When you boot into Leopard the drives should be read-only. They will be writable under OS9.

This has been working well for me and has stopped these errors from occurring. Be sure to boot into 10.4 and repeat the above steps again if you erase a drive.

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2024, 03:13:58 PM »
You can also try forensic tool called 'Disk Arbitrator' to prevent mounting or mount drives as read only.

https://github.com/aburgh/Disk-Arbitrator

Version v0.4.0 is the last one containing PPC code.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2024, 06:09:34 PM »
I've been trying to get an OS9 (separate SSD), 10.4, 10.5 setup on my MDD and have tried both GaryN's approach and Image.Material's.

Mac OS 10.2 (and I assume 10.3) doesn't seem to cause these errors because Spotlight and Time Machine aren't present.

Mac OS 10.4 is fine as long as you install it and disable Spotlight before creating OS9 drives with the following steps:

There were so many referrals to this subject over years that I can't remember every single detail of every one of my posts about it.

In OSX 10.4 for Spotlight and 10.5 for both including Time Machine, unless you never boot or use OSX – and I know there are those who don't – both Spotlight and TM are easily locked out of the OS9 volume in OSX prefs… no typing required.
Also, TM doesn't even begin to cause a problem unless/until you enable it, specify a BU Volume etc and allow it to start cataloging everything for the initial backup.

When you first boot OSX with a newer or older OS9 Volume present, or any other volume, it will invariably take notice of it and write itself a little invisible note in the "new" Volume Directory. This is not the problem… in fact you want this to be so or else the OS9 Volume won't even appear in OSX and OSX won't be able to read the OS9 Directory at all. It won't even appear on the OSX Desktop and you won't be able to access any files or move anything to or from the OS9 Volume.

So again, at first OSX boot in 10.4, Spotlight will immediately start to read the OS9 Directory and if allowed time, will begin indexing the files. That is what must be prevented because on the first OS9 boot, it will be seen by the OS9 Finder as corruption and the OS will try to "fix" it. On the next OSX boot, the "fix" will be seen by OSX as corruption and it will fix the fix. OSX will not have a problem but go back on OS9 and it will be seen a serious B-Tree error.
Neither OS9 Disk Repair or Norton-anything or Uncle's Joe's Magic OS9 Repair can "fix" the UNIX-derived gobbledegook simply because all of them pre-date OSX and they've never even seen this stuff before.

If you simply go to OSX prefs immediately after this "first" OSX boot and tell Spotlight to not index OS9, that's all it takes to stop all the insanity before it starts. If it's 10.5, you then take the opportunity to lock out TM the same way, even if you're not using it just to prevent trouble in case you decide to use it in the future. I've never found it necessary to resort to anything more than this.

It's really that simple as long as you don't forget to do it.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2024, 08:16:59 PM »

in theory it sounds in simple.

in practice people have 30 harddisks and whenever you attach a new one under OSX for the first time, you have to remember to excude it in the spotlight prefs.

if anyone knows how to remove or competely turn off spotlight and or the coreservice or deamon which does the indexing shit in 10.4, let me know.

Online aBc

• Veteran Member
  • FdB•FBz•aBc
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2024, 09:48:07 PM »
if anyone knows how to remove or completely turn off spotlight and or the coreservice or deamon which does the indexing shit in 10.4, let me know.

[NOT Schrödinger's cat.] IIO’s Cat. 8)

Or Gary' sudo mdutil -i off ;)
See next post below.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2024, 09:50:48 PM »

in theory it sounds in simple.

in practice people have 30 harddisks and whenever you attach a new one under OSX for the first time, you have to remember to excude it in the spotlight prefs.

if anyone knows how to remove or competely turn off spotlight and or the coreservice or deamon which does the indexing shit in 10.4, let me know.

Personally, I've never met anybody with anywhere close to 30 HDDs strung like Xmas tree lights on a Mac old enough to run OS9!
If you do, congratulations. That's got to be some kind of record.  ;D ;D

I honestly can't imagine why or how one can possibly have all those as active resources without some kind of seriously capable search utility exactly like Spotlight to index and search thru them. Sherlock2 is a forerunner of Spotlight that pretty much works - I use it myself - but I would never imagine it functioning smoothly over 30 HDDs of data. But hey, as they say, YMMV…
If you have an OS9 3rd-party search app or such that works that well, let me know. I'd like to try it. I could certainly make something out of Filemaker or such but that would require constant manual updating which would just be silly.

Personally (again since that's all anyone can draw from) after going through the hair-pulling aggravation of have to trash a disk full of data and restart from scratch a couple of times, I learned my lesson and I have absolutely no problem whatsoever remembering to lock those nasty OSX utilities out if and when I introduce a new OS9 Volume to the mix… but I guess that's just me and I have only a few of them and they don't come and go regularly.

BUT… if you really want to sacrifice the use of Spotlight within your OSX volume(s), it's easy.

sudo mdutil -i off

OH wow! aBc just pointed out Greystash already went there…… before you asked for it. Must be some kind of time paradox!

Online aBc

• Veteran Member
  • FdB•FBz•aBc
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2024, 10:02:49 PM »
OH wow! aBc just pointed out Greystash already went there…… before you asked for it. Must be some kind of time paradox!

Hey Gary… Chrono-Synclastic Infundibulum. (aBc grins)

Think we might need a bit of levity 'round here lately?

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2024, 01:38:38 PM »
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Offline coachla

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2024, 09:50:54 PM »
I only had a chance to read a portion of this thread. Some of this is redundant to most reading this.

Attached is a photo of the files you need to trash in Leopard to disable Spotlight forever. Also attached is a great search utility Easyfind which searches  invisible files as well as contents. Command Prompts aren't my cup of tea. I prefer a hammer blow to send things bye-bye.

Format a drive and install OS9 drivers in one shot with Leopard's own Drive Setup. The drive must be externally connected for the OS9 driver option to show up. Choose Apple Partition Map and size as many partitions you need. Done.

Connect the drive to your OS9 machine. You may now have a few empty folders visible at the top level. Delete them or erase the disk in HFS or HFS+. Drag copy your preferred System Folder to the new drive (Do not copy OS9 system files in OSX).  Drag out the Finder to any other location and then drag it back into the System Folder to "bless" it.

Years ago I stopped checking and attempting to repair the b-tree , and since haven't had problems swapping firewire drives or transfering files over the Appletalk/ethernet network.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 12:05:24 AM by coachla »

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2024, 07:00:33 AM »
Personally, I've never met anybody with anywhere close to 30 HDDs strung like Xmas tree lights on a Mac old enough to run OS9!

it is enough to connect one single additional harddrive, which does not even need to be your own, to cause the issues with spotlight when you forget to exclude that volume from indexing.

I honestly can't imagine why or how one can possibly have all those as active resources without some kind of seriously capable search utility exactly like Spotlight to index and search thru them.

for me personally filename and date is all i need to search for. good catalog searches search disks once and then you can search offline, which then takes 5 seconds for 10 million files.

though i have to add that you normally also have some kind of sorting system which prevents you from not knowing on which disk something could be. so of course you index and search disk by disk.

if you have 30 disks you do not write new files onto them on a daily basis. :)

sherlock belongs in the trash after installations just like spotlight and itunes do, too.

regarding "OSX volumes" and "OS9 volumes"... if i would not like to share all disks between both systems, i would not use the same computer for them.

sudo mdutil -i off

that´s the one, thanks.

seems much easier than disabling disks one by one.

it would even feel better to remove the services involved from the system, so that it can´t be switched back on by those little green men who usually live inside apple products.

this cat seems familiar... if only i could remember...

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2024, 07:42:07 AM »
Years ago I stopped checking and attempting to repair the b-tree , and since haven't had problems swapping firewire

not using norton disk destroyer at all and/or ignoring (most) "errors" you get informed about is another important tip. i have to admit that i still have norton stuff installe,d but i think it is >10 years ago that i ran some of them.

with HDDs i loved to use defrag 1-2 times per year, but today where disks are all bigger than 500mb, it wont work anyway.

the best mass storage care plan is to back up all files every 4-5 years by copying things from one disk to another, folder by folder, under OSX (since it is a bit faster), then do a tech check of the HD, if it is ok, reformat the HD and copy things back. this way you will also find out about file integrity and readability.

i do the same with ancient CD backups every 20 years. (and yes, you might not believe it, but about 1 out of 20,000 files from your old CDs are no longer readable. it is not only that the file might be lost, it is also a pita to find it: if there is a single file not readable, you can no longer copy the CD content as a whole. that alone requires to "fix" it.)

all on BD M-Disk now. as 500mb toast images, one per former CD.

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2024, 01:42:47 PM »
sherlock belongs in the trash after installations just like spotlight and itunes do, too.

Exactly! Great minds think alike, heh? :D
If you take the old search application 'Find File' from OS7, move it over to OS9 and rename it 'Sherlock2', search will work just like in the old days. And it will be blazing fast. That's what I've been using since forever.

In OSX, there's an app that works in a similar fashion and even looks like the old 'Find File'. That's what I use today.
Brilliant stuff, very powerful and very fast.
https://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/

btw, sudo mdutil -i off only turns off indexing. To disable it, you have to use this one:

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 08:33:00 PM by ssp3 »
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.