Author Topic: Exporting audio in DAWs, importing to newer DAWs  (Read 7456 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Exporting audio in DAWs, importing to newer DAWs
« on: October 30, 2014, 02:11:36 AM »
I've noticed that exported wav and aif files from older DAWs often have trouble being imported into newer DAWs, or just being able to be played back at all. If I export a wav file from Digital Performer, I found that I must type the file extension (.wav) or else it'll have white noise and digital artifacts in the audio when playing it back or importing it on a newer Mac. No big deal, but in Cubase, when I export to either aif or wav and I import that into a newer DAW on a newer system or try to play them back, I get nothing but glitchy repeated audio.

What's up with that?

supernova777

Re: Exporting audio in DAWs, importing to newer DAWs
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 04:15:32 AM »
what samplerate are u working at

its gotta be related to sample rate or wrong bit depth..

8,16,18,20,24,32 bit
44.1k, 48k, 96k

thats a lot of possibilities for mismatch

perhaps u are mistakenly labelling an .aif file as a .wav

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 05:05:57 AM »
The bit depth and sample rate don't matter in this instance, there's something wrong with the format itself for some reason. I'm thinking there may be some weird resource fork thing going on or something.

supernova777

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 05:47:27 AM »
well if you dont want to discuss the details..
ill just wish u luck..  8)
 ;)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 07:39:29 AM »
All of the info is in the original post. It's not the sample rate or bit depth.

Online IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 03:13:13 PM »

this isnt an explanation, and maybe not even releated to your OS9-to-OSX problem, but a general advise:

wave is a microsoft format, and there are more than one descriptions for it. so just use sounddesigner and aiff/aifc, and these problems will go away.

well, or should. the aif problem you see ... no idea.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 08:46:55 AM »
I am going to try to keep this short...

WAV and AIFF files SHOULD NOT play differently in any DAW.  I do however, prefer AIFF since WAV file headers sometimes differ. AIFFs play on both Macs and PCs in all DAWs I know of. 
The WAV specification includes some optional features. The optional fact chunk reports the number of samples for some compressed coding schemes
So... just use AIFF :)
I have been converting, importing, and exporting audio files from every possible DAW to another and never had any issues, there are, however, some things to remember when the different DAWs cannot open the project directly... here is a small checklist of rules

1) Make sure the source file is compatible
For example, if you have true tape 32-bit files from Cubase VST 5 and move them into... say... a DAW like Logic on Mountain Lion, Logic will accept the files, But not play them since Logic only uses up to 24 Bit files, this can get very confusing to have files in the Media pool that don't play back or auto-convert as expected. So to simplify, check bit depth compatibility first; then obviously check sample rate compatibility.

2) Convert all files (if needed) before the import: Use a batch converted (like the one in the Prosoniq SonicWORX PowerBundle v2.6 or Spark) that can covert all all your SOURCE files unattended from one format to another... this saves tons of time

3) One File per Track Rule: The exported files should be 1 file per track in the arrangement, DO NOT export segments of audio (for example 6 segments of vocals on the main vocal track); trying to import, order, and line up multiple audio files on a single track in the new DAW will be nearly an impossible task and usually take longer then re-recording

4) Dry Audio Rule: Unless you added some incredible effect that you cannot reproduce, the exported files should be all "dry" with NO effects.  You have to learn the new DAW anyway, so apply effects there. they will not be removable from your exported audio.

5) Bar 1 (or zero) rule: It is a good practice to set start makers for ALL tracks from the Source DAW at the same bar before exporting; for example, if a chorus does not come in until bar 37... still set the marker with all the other tracks at the same start maker (usually 0 or 1). This will pad silence to the begging of all audio tracks (that start after the first bar) and it will also waste some hard drive space, but it makes it so much easier when dragging the files into an arrangement of a new DAW since you can line them all up at the begging of the song and they will all be in sync; you can then cut and delete regions to save space later.

6) Print all MIDI tracks that are NOT available in New DAW: Any virtual instruments that are unavailable in the new DAW should be turned into audio in the old DAW (remember, start maker at beginning of song regardless of when the MIDI track starts playing); this will give you the synth track you love in the new DAW in sync with all audio tracks.  Also, it is usually a good idea to export 2 tracks of each virtual instrument if you spent mega-time with crazy in tempo applied effects, one with effects and one dry, this will give you maximum options in the new DAW

7) MIDI export/import before Audio extremely obvious; but mute all audio tracks and export the project as a standard MIDI file (type 1), and import as a standard MIDI file into the new DAW before working with the audio, this will give you your initial template with Tempo into the new DAW

8) WTF is Track 9 ?: Also extremely obvious, but never the case, try to use the clearest naming conventions on the source audio files (even if you have to rename them in the pool of the old DAW); this make things so much easier to re-essemble the project in the new DAW
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 09:02:33 AM by DieHard »

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 08:55:24 AM »
There's some funny business going on. I never have the problem on my OS9 system with Logic 6 and Pro Tools. Right now I'm using a combo of Logic 3 Platinum, Cubase VST 4 and Digital performer 2.7 on my Powermac 9600. The only thing that's working is exporting from Digital Performer in wav format, but I find I have to type .wav onto the file or else it has weird static in it on any other system.

I agree with DH, there shouldn't be ANYTHING wrong with to-and-fro at all. I'm exporting to a standard 16bit 48khz file, but a 44.1khz and 24bit file export do the same thing. All of these files can be exported and imported to any DAW on my 9600, it works 100%. It's just playing it in a media player or importing it into a DAW on my Mac Pro 2008 system that won't work.

Do you think it's possible that the ancient DAWs I'm using export to a slightly different type of wav/aif file? I don't know much about code but maybe there's something in the header of the files that's missing, or resource forks or whatever that stuff is. It's got to be something like that.

Online IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 10:45:20 AM »
the aif part is weird, it should be the nature of this format to be compatible with everything.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 11:53:20 AM »
There's some funny business going on. I never have the problem on my OS9 system with Logic 6 and Pro Tools. Right now I'm using a combo of Logic 3 Platinum, Cubase VST 4 and Digital performer 2.7 on my Powermac 9600.

Have you tried an OMF export form DP and OMF import in ProTools ?

Do you think it's possible that the ancient DAWs I'm using export to a slightly different type of wav/aif file?

Not that I have ever seen... even with earlier versions of Cubase... or Logic

supernova777

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 12:53:35 PM »
Do you think it's possible that the ancient DAWs I'm using export to a slightly different type of wav/aif file?

https://ccrma.stanford.edu/courses/422/projects/WaveFormat/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAV

im sticking to my original comment which is that this is to do with samplerate/bit depth mismatch - dismiss it if u wish
but you will be depriving yourself of the eureeka moment where u fully understand whats going on.

http://tweakheadz.com/16-bit-vs-24-bit-audio/

u are using 2 x 2408's with a pci-324 on the 9600 ?
and what about the interface on the other "newer" computer..?
what are u clocked to with the 9600?
what are u clocked to on the newer modern daw?

isnt the original 2408 only 20-bit recording..?
would this be the result of recording in 20 bit then trying to play back in 24 bit?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_bit_depth
http://www.tested.com/tech/1905-the-real-differences-between-16-bit-and-24-bit-audio/

The 24-bit Advantage
The 2408's analogue inputs offer 20-bit A/D converters,  but  you  can  connect  third-  party 24-bit A/D converters such as the Apogee AD8000 to the 2408's digital I/O
 connectors  for  full   24-bit  recording.  There  are  two  advantages     to   24-bit  recording  compared  with  16-bit  -
greater dynamic range and increased resolution.

are the waves that you are having problems exporting recorded via the analog inputs on the 2408?

this is syntho so of course he will respond with a 1-2 sentence response totally ignoring my questions
so why am i bothering lol ;D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 01:19:39 PM by chrisNova777 »

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 07:51:30 PM »
It's not the bit depth or sample rate  -afro-

supernova777

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 08:56:17 PM »
*facepalm*

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 01:02:28 PM »
I figured it out. Unfortunately, these old DAWs just can't manage audio formats as well as newer DAWs. And no, it wasn't the bit depth or sample rate like I said  -afro-

supernova777

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 06:47:17 PM »
wow.... u came on to say u figured it out... and u dont even take the time to explain it to those who took the time to respond to u..
thanks for leaving us all wondering.