Author Topic: PSA: M-Audio Firewire 410 Firmware Downgrade Success! Now Working in Mac OS 9  (Read 2564 times)

Offline visibleprism

• Newcomer
Hey all, spent many hours diving into this last night and like many of you found that the method above is not working! However, fortunately I was able to get the interface functioning again in OS 9 and will go through the steps I took. Still figuring out the “method” to this, but I think the important parts of the process are different than what I thought initially, as @aBc suggested.

Here goes:

First, I started by installing the most recent version of the driver supported on OS X 10.4.11 on the Pismo, which is 1.9.3, available here: https://m-audio.com/support/download/drivers/firewire-osx-1.9.3. After installing this update, doing the usual power down/connect 410/reboot cycle, the firmware now listed the 2007 version that I'd seen before.

I continued with the steps outlined in the first post by then moving over to the Windows XP machine, where I uninstalled the driver completely and reinstalled from disc. This time around, I found that after the shutdown/connect/reboot sequence on the XP machine, the firmware was still showing the 2007 date! And of course this meant that I wasn't able to get it functioning in OS 9 when I tried there afterward.

At this point I thought that I might no longer be able to downgrade it again, but continued experimenting. Initially I focused on the XP machine, trying the earliest version of the driver I could find (found on the Internet Archive:  http://www.m-audio.com/images/global/drivers/fw410_1007_web.exe). Upgrading, downgrading, making sure all temporary install files were deleted, checking system folders, etc. did nothing and I was still seeing a consistent 2007 firmware.

Then I noticed something. On the initial reboot after install of the drivers with the 410 connected (having last been connected to the Pismo in 10.4 for the firmware upgrade) after a 5min+ wait for all the startup programs to load driver install prompts appeared for the M-Audio FW Bootloader and M-Audio FW 410 interface (see images 1 and 2 attached).  After completely uninstalling the drivers, deleting temporary files, double checking system folders etc. for any trace of the previously installed drivers, reinstalling from disc (with 410 disconnected), shutdown/connect 410/reboot, I only got the driver install prompt for the M-Audio FW 410 interface driver and no prompt for the Bootloader.

I spent a while trying to see if I’d missed any residual files related to the bootloader, but couldn’t find any, and then had a thought: maybe the firmware is triggered to load specifically when switching from a Mac machine to a Windows machine (or vice-versa)? I tried connecting the 410 back to the Pismo, which still had the 1.9.3 software installed, and then reconnecting it to the XP machine, and to my surprise after booting up the prompt for the Bootloader driver appeared!

This still didn’t solve the problem, though, so I started retracing my steps. As mentioned above (I think by @aBc again) I’d tried installing older drivers on the OS X side of the Pismo to no avail (or so I thought). So I booted it back up, uninstalled 1.9.3 and installed version 1.2 build 1078 from 2004 (available at the Internet Archive: https://web.archive.org/web/20040629172859/http://www.m-audio.com:80/images/global/drivers/FW_OSX_build_1078.dmg), which is the version I’d tried previously. Did the usual shutdown/connect/reboot, and when I opened the FW 410 software, I was met with the message “Please connect an M-Audio FireWire device to this Mac” (see image 3). Which was odd, as it was connected and powered on.

However, I noticed that though it was powered on, the power light was blinking rapidly, which if I remember correctly from the manual indicates that the firmware is not loaded. I figured this meant that if I rebooted into OS 9 now, the interface might be able to load the correct firmware using the Firewire 410 v1.0.1 build3 software that was still installed. And, after a quick reboot, it did! It's now fully functional in OS 9 again with the same firmware version seen in the first post.

So re: what I was thinking above about reloading the firmware on switching OS, I’m wondering if the switch to XP and then to the old 1.2 driver on OS X 10.4 is what enables this non-loaded firmware state, or if it’s possible to achieve the same by just uninstalling the newer 1.9.3 driver in OS X and then installing 1.2. And/or if the inability for it to load the firmware has to do with some components of the M-Audio software being incompatible with OS X 10.4.11 since it was released prior to 10.4. Definitely some continued exploration to do here.

Anyway, will keep testing this to see if it can be boiled down to a simple set of steps. Hope this is helpful and actually works for you all this time around!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 12:52:49 PM by visibleprism »

Offline aBc

• Veteran Member
  • FdB•FBz•aBc
Re: M-Audio Firewire 410
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2023, 01:18:00 PM »
Thanks vp!
I think I got it.
Will take some time to filter it
all down into something understandable.

BUT...
when Windoze Hardware Weezerd
axes if you wanna install software automatically
I just canceled that and shut it all down.

Then to the Mac for more F-U-N!

More to follow. ;)

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Thanks vp!
I think I got it.

Glad you got it... my FW410 just made the trip to eBay, either that or target practice...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/134859644306

Offline aBc

• Veteran Member
  • FdB•FBz•aBc
Re: M-Audio Firewire 410 Firmware Success! Now Working in Mac OS 9
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2023, 02:40:27 PM »
Ahh DieHard, keep it!

Using Windows XP Pro, I used the fw410_10013_cd.exe installer found on our M-Audio hybrid disc. And followed the procedures as visibleprism described above except for canceling that installation of some additional software that the Hardware Wizard wanted to install from “a specific location”. In effect I suppose that I did not complete the installation (like the C:\Windows\System32\fw410cpl file mentioned by DieHard). I just stopped it and shut it down, removed the FW410 and went downstairs to the Mac realm.

Then on a Quicksilver running OS 10.4.6 and OS 9.2.2 (a dual partitioned single HD) I used the Firewire 410 v1.0.1 build3 driver (also on our hybrid disc download) on the the OS 9.2 partition. And achieved DieHard’s previously noted no-go result.

Of course I moved on quickly from there…
Right to attempted installation on the Tiger partition.

Unlike visibleprism, I first used the FW410_OSX_build_1054.dmg (also on our hybrid disc) and then… updated that with the FireWire_OSX_1_5_3.zip downloaded from the M-Audio website. (I’ll try to attach that below.) *Visibleprism used 1.9.3 - but he’s running OS 10.4.11 instead of 10.4.6 like me.

And then ended up with this:

From there, I booted back into OS 9.2 and then a big surprise! (No firmware or bootloader present before!)

I’ve not tested anything in or out, or through it yet… but all seems in order and functional at this “early stage”. (sic)
Somehow, I think that the OS X installation is / was the key in all of this. Either before Windows as per visibleprism
or afterwards, as I somehow stumbled upon.

And yes, I have spent a "few" hours on this.

Hey @Mardeec, you want this M-Audio FW410 back?
Hope that DieHard’s asking an absolute fortune for his.

Someone contact Andre Solomoko!

***I also removed a SIIG FW400/800 + USB card from the Quicksilver before success.

GREAT BIG Thanks to visibleprism!  8)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 02:53:56 PM by aBc »

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
I will give it one more go when I have time.

I'll ignore XP and go straight to the OS X 10.4 install, then try 9

Offline aBc

• Veteran Member
  • FdB•FBz•aBc
Re: M-Audio Firewire 410 Firmware Success! Now Working in Mac OS 9
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2023, 03:19:14 PM »
I'll ignore XP and go straight to the OS X 10.4 install, then try 9

IF yours is still in that no-go 9 state, it might just work. Hope so.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 07:30:17 AM by aBc »

Offline AtariMan

• Veteran Member
Hi all. I found a solution with this map. For the card to work in Mac OS 9.2.2, you need to return the firmware. This can be done in Mac OS X 10.3 by installing the FireWire OSX 1.2.4 driver. Only this driver allows you to return the firmware to 2003. Once you do this, you can install the FWUni OS9 1.0.4 b42 driver. Next, turn off the computer, connect the interface and that’s it, Mac OS 9 works. Good luck to all.
Pro Tools TDM 5.1.3
Emagic Logic Pro 6.4.1
Nuendo 1.6.1

Offline AtariMan

• Veteran Member
I forgot to say that a computer with Windows XP is not needed.
Pro Tools TDM 5.1.3
Emagic Logic Pro 6.4.1
Nuendo 1.6.1

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Thanks vp!
I think I got it.

Glad you got it... my FW410 just made the trip to eBay, either that or target practice...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/134859644306
Your unit came with M Powered protools so it is modern. Maybe on the more modern ones it cant be made... I dunno. Lets find out

I want to extrapolate this method for my Firewire Audiophile that came without PT and cant be seen in Mac OS 9 and was last used on El Capitan
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
This was my first soundcard when i started out bck then on winxp

Id luuurve this to work on os9
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts