Author Topic: Firewire 410 - Headphone jacks not working  (Read 5820 times)

Offline GP

• Valued Member (10+ Posts)
  • Ex Apple Technician & Current Nerd
Firewire 410 - Headphone jacks not working
« on: April 23, 2016, 04:02:35 AM »
Hi everyone,

I have an M-Audio Firewire 410 interface that I'm using with a G4 quicksilver running MacOS 9.2.2.

I have installed the Firewire 410 drivers as shared on this forum and installed them successfully. The box is recognised and has audio activity on the front but neither of the headphone ports are working?

The rear outs produce audio. I have played with the M-Audio control panel in every manner but cannot get any system sounds out of the Firewire 410 in the headphone ports.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
GP

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member (500+ Posts)
Re: Firewire 410 - Headphone jacks not working
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 02:26:39 PM »
Are you powering the 410 from the Firewire port? The headphone amp may not work without a power supply.

Offline GP

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 01:45:03 AM »
Are you powering the 410 from the Firewire port? The headphone amp may not work without a power supply.

Yeah I'm powering it from the firewire port, 6 pin. The manual states if it is 6 pin Firewire, it can be bus powered. Only 4 pin firewire requires the power adapter.

I tested the interface on a Powerbook G4, 6 pin firewire running 10.5.8 and the unit worked perfectly. Something wrong with the MacOS9 driver? The only one I can find is on this forum, 1.04b.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member (500+ Posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 04:00:21 PM »
OK, good. You've eliminated one possibility at least.

You're asking the right question: "What am I missing?" Trouble is, from here at least, it seems the answer is "nothing".
However, reading the 410 manual, it does appear as if the designers were drinking too much coffee when they put the 410 together. There are lots of ways you can set some little thing incorrectly and prevent audio from appearing at the headphone outs. The monitoring scheme is very dependent on the ASIO driver and it wants for it to be ASIO 2.0. The 1.04b driver may not be what you need.

Do the setup described on page 23 to enable direct monitoring of inputs without running the signal through the computer and back and see if you hear audio. If that works, you'll know it's an issue involving the ASIO and/or some tiny thing you missed on the 410 control panel.

You are far from the first person to have issues with this damn box on OS9. You probably won't be the last.

Holler back.

Offline GP

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 12:41:29 AM »
Few years on I tried getting this to work again. I tried various drivers...1.0.1, 1.0.2, and 1.0.4.

All had the same issue where I could hear audio fine on the outputs on the rear but no matter what I did I could never get audio to work via the headphones in OS9. Worked absolutely fine in OSX.

I played with every setting in the control panel for the 410 and I've had experience with audio before so I'm confident I know what I was choosing should be correct.

This box is simply broken in OS9 as far as I can tell so I've given up on it and gone back to my Edirol UR-80, which works as intended.