Author Topic: Large drives not working with Sonnet Tempo Trio on Quicksilver 733 MHz  (Read 1094 times)

Offline StarExplorer

• Be kind to each other
I have a Sonnet Tempo Trio PCI expansion card:

http://www.sonnettech.com/support/kb/kb.php?cat=344&expand=_a13_a2_b440_a3_a1&action=b338#b338

I installed Mac OS 9.2.2 on a 160 GB drive in an external firewire enclosure, and then I updated the card to version 4.5.0, which is supposed to enable large drive support greater than 137 GB. I then put the drive inside the Quicksilver and connected it to the first slot on the Tempo Trio, removing the jumper from the drive in order to set it to master/single according to the diagram on the cover.

However, when I powered the Quicksilver up, it flashed the system folder with the finder face and the ?. I checked everything over several times, but can't figure out why it won't boot. The product page says firmware version 4.5.0 supports large drives.

Did I do something wrong?

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
is the card said to support booting into OS9? (most of their S-ATA cards for example do not.)

and how big is your OS9 partition? OS9 will only boot from <190GB, so you needed to make at least 2 partitions to a 2TB media.

ah, you said 160. that should work.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline aBc

• Veteran Member
  • FdB•FBz•aBc
Re: Sonnet Tempo Trio on Quicksilver 733 MHz
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 10:31:19 AM »
Have you tried Option-key booting to see if the 160 GB drive appears as a choice?

OR booting from an OS 9 installer CD…
to then select OS 9 from that 160 GB disk - from the StartUp Disk control panel?

AND Firewire devices connected to this may need another source of power.
Read: https://www.sonnettech.com/support/downloads/manuals/

NOTE:
Ahh hell! The above link reports “Forbidden”.
Instead, use StarExplorer’s link:
http://www.sonnettech.com/support/kb/kb.php?cat=344&expand=_a13_a2_b440_a3_a1&action=b338#b338

And then click on the download link for the User’s Guide.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 01:04:42 PM by aBc »

Offline StarExplorer

• Be kind to each other
is the card said to support booting into OS9? (most of their S-ATA cards for example do not.)

and how big is your OS9 partition? OS9 will only boot from <190GB, so you needed to make at least 2 partitions to a 2TB media.

ah, you said 160. that should work.

Sorry, I've been busy and haven't had time to reply until now. On page 2 of the manual, in the second "Support note", it says to set it to master or it won't boot. I interpreted that to mean that it should boot. I could have sworn years ago it booted, but it's been so long I don't remember for certain now.

Offline StarExplorer

• Be kind to each other
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 07:19:00 PM »
Have you tried Option-key booting to see if the 160 GB drive appears as a choice?

OR booting from an OS 9 installer CD…
to then select OS 9 from that 160 GB disk - from the StartUp Disk control panel?

AND Firewire devices connected to this may need another source of power.
Read: https://www.sonnettech.com/support/downloads/manuals/

NOTE:
Ahh hell! The above link reports “Forbidden”.
Instead, use StarExplorer’s link:

And then click on the download link for the User’s Guide.

It boots from the firewire enclosure just fine. It doesn't show up at the option boot screen, nor in the startup disk control panel after booting from the CD. I'll just have to put my 40 GB back in I guess  :-\ not a big deal, but still kind of a bummer. Oh well, I'm just thankful the Quicksilver works :)

Thanks for your efforts to help, guys! :)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
these things are not really releated to each other. such a card is basically three PCI cards in one and it is no suprise that the firewire works perfect.

insert arbitrary signature here

Offline aBc

• Veteran Member
  • FdB•FBz•aBc
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2024, 01:06:44 PM »
Perhaps drives larger than 160 GB attached to the Tempo Trio is dependent upon having a “primary” drive also resident on the ULTRA ATA connection?
AND having that firmware version 4.5.0 installed on and with that (your 40 GB) drive in place, first? (Before installation of the Sonnet TT card.)

THEN install the Sonnet with the 160 GB drive attached… to then see if it would boot from that? (Still keeping the 40 GB drive in place.)
If this works, then you might try booting with that 40 GB HD removed afterwards.

And now I also wonder…
If you have an A (or a B) series Quicksilver motherboard in use?
820-1276-A or 820-1342-B ;)