Author Topic: Test Posting  (Read 2627 times)

Offline aBc

• Veteran Member
  • FdB•FBz•aBc
Test Posting
« on: March 03, 2024, 04:37:04 AM »
This is a test.

Test, test ,test...

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
Re: Test Posting
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2024, 04:39:32 AM »
Seems to be working! :)
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline Bolkonskij

• Gold Member
    • Cornica.org
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2024, 05:51:32 AM »
Looks like it does :-)
Reel changer over at cornica.org

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2024, 05:52:24 AM »
All good! So far... :)

Offline aBc

• Veteran Member
  • FdB•FBz•aBc
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2024, 06:52:52 AM »
Okay. Have messaged DieHard.
(Nearly 7:00 a.m. "out there".) :o

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2024, 07:01:27 AM »
All the pictures that were inserted into posts are gone. Only thumbnails are shown.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2024, 07:41:58 AM »
All the pictures that were inserted into posts are gone. Only thumbnails are shown.

Interesting. Need to have a look at that. I wonder why.
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline aBc

• Veteran Member
  • FdB•FBz•aBc
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2024, 08:08:54 AM »
Inserted images… one example.

Previous Link: (as originally embedded)
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6875.0;attach=12816;image

Link Now: (same image)
http://forums.system7today.com/smforum/index.ph?action=dlattach;topic=6875.0;attach=12816;image

BUT, this actually displays in browser… (if you drop the http:// from pasted address)
forums.system7today.com/smforum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6875.0;attach=12816;image

*May work itself out, once the Domain name has actually been transferred to the new server.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 08:51:45 AM by aBc »

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2024, 08:25:43 AM »
The last 10 active threads that were shown at the bottom of any thread page are also gone.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 08:41:11 AM by ssp3 »

Offline aBc

• Veteran Member
  • FdB•FBz•aBc
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2024, 08:38:04 AM »
“In the meantime you can access the Mac OS 9 Lives forum at it's temporary address.”

Transfer / Transition - not yet totally complete.
There will be “bugs” and certain kinks to work out.
(And perhaps some new features as well.)
 All in due time, ehh? ;)

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2024, 08:49:22 AM »
The last 10 active threads that were shown at the bottom of any thread page are also gone.

Yes, some of the plugins used on Mac OS 9 Lives forum had to go in the move. I had to update the forum software to the latest version to keep it compatible with the latest version of PHP to keep everything secure in every way. A lot of plugins where not compatible, so they where disabled in the process. Last 10 active threads where one of them. A lot will be brought back in time, the focus now is to get the base forum working again.

Looks like a lot of the attachments didn't make it over to the new server.
I'll see what's missing and lift them over.

Thanks for the heads up :)

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2024, 09:55:05 AM »
A lot of plugins where not compatible, so they where disabled in the process. Last 10 active threads where one of them.
Is there a compatible version out there? I don't know about others, but for me, navigating the forum without this feature is major PITA.

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2024, 10:03:39 AM »
Is there a compatible version out there? I don't know about others, but for me, navigating the forum without this feature is major PITA.

Probably. Will look into it as soon as we have settled on the new host with the domain officially moved etc.

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2024, 11:29:07 AM »
Inserted images… one example.

Previous Link: (as originally embedded)
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6875.0;attach=12816;image

Link Now: (same image)
http://forums.system7today.com/smforum/index.ph?action=dlattach;topic=6875.0;attach=12816;image

BUT, this actually displays in browser… (if you drop the http:// from pasted address)
forums.system7today.com/smforum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6875.0;attach=12816;image

*May work itself out, once the Domain name has actually been transferred to the new server.

Ah, I see what's wrong now. Everything is there, but the images are hard linked to the macos9lives.com domain, hence only existing in the thumbnail type of format. It will get solved once the domain is properly moved over.

Your link is working btw, it's just missing the last p in .php (index.ph instead of index.php in the URL) in the link after the "Link Now: (same image)" text.
http://forums.system7today.com/smforum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6875.0;attach=12816

So this is solved once the domain moves over.
Sorry for the inconvenience :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 12:36:07 PM by Knezzen »

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2024, 06:23:35 AM »
A lot of plugins where not compatible, so they where disabled in the process. Last 10 active threads where one of them.
I rely on the feature a lot, too, but everything else seems to be in place, so I'm very pleased with the transition. Sometimes these things can be disastrous, but things are looking good in our case.

This type of plug-in probably has some compatible equivalent the forum can use, since browsing "latest most active topics" is an ultra-popular feature in forums like these. So much so, that I tend to take them for granted, and forget they might be actually an "extra" feature.

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2024, 06:43:05 AM »
This type of plug-in probably has some compatible equivalent the forum can use, since browsing "latest most active topics" is an ultra-popular feature in forums like these. So much so, that I tend to take them for granted, and forget they might be actually an "extra" feature.

We'll look into all the feature requests as well as all the old features. Right now we need to get the basics up and running before we add more stuff :)
The same info the plugin shows is available on the front forum page at the bottom. If this is not sufficient then I guess we'll have to look into it and see what we can do.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 06:59:41 AM by Knezzen »

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2024, 07:34:46 AM »
We'll look into all the feature requests as well as all the old features. Right now we need to get the basics up and running before we add more stuff :)
The same info the plugin shows is available on the front forum page at the bottom. If this is not sufficient then I guess we'll have to look into it and see what we can do.

A look at Apple's Bruce Tognazzini's page on Principles of Interaction design might give you a clue ;) https://asktog.com/atc/principles-of-interaction-design/

I'll quote just two principles. The rest is up there and, btw, an excellent read.
Principle: “The most important consistency is consistency with user expectations”—William Buxton

It doesn’t matter how fine a logical argument you can put together for how something should work. If users expect it to work a different way, you will be facing an uphill and often unwinnable battle to change those expectations. If your way offers no clear advantage, go with what your users expect.

Principle: If the user cannot find it, it does not exist

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2024, 08:23:23 AM »
Sure, but as I mentioned above; we need to sort out the basics first. The plugin is disabled due to security reasons. We'll look into it as soon as we are settled :)

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2024, 03:04:56 PM »
Knez it would be great if we can "Like " the posts. I guess that is simple machines forums thing.

Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2024, 12:20:41 AM »
By the way, have you guys also noticed just how FAST browsing around Mac OS 9 Lives is now? Try click-spamming around the subforums and threads/topics: it loads MUCH MUCH faster! I never thought much about the load times before, but now, WOW. Incredible. I feel it gives some extra motivation to "explore around" the forums.

As for everything else, I'm sure they will be in order in due time. :)

EDIT: I also just noticed, posting messages in general also became MUCH quicker. Like, monstrously so. Now I don't have to sit around and wait each time I post like before. Another thing that also seems to be gone is that, sometimes, when I would try posting, I would occasionally get an error message in a blank page that suggested I should contact the administrator yadda yadda, but that no longer seems to happen as far as I have seen. Before, I would always Cmd+A+C the whole message before submitting simply because those errors sometimes could eat up my whole post. But not anymore.

Everything feels so... instantaneous!