Author Topic: VST system link- advice for KVM switch  (Read 411 times)

Offline nickbirkby

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
VST system link- advice for KVM switch
« on: April 25, 2024, 11:56:40 PM »
Hello everybody.
Im setting up two G4s to try and run VST system link betweeen them. (Using an old Korg 1212io in the one and a Echo Layla on the other to link by SPDIF).

Can anyone reccomend a KVM switcher? is/ was there a good one to look out for so that I dont have to use a pc one with lots of turnarounds...

Many thanks!

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
Re: VST system link- advice for KVM switch
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2024, 12:54:12 AM »
Can anyone reccomend a KVM switcher? is/ was there a good one to look out for so that I dont have to use a pc one with lots of turnarounds...

I used to have the 8-port version of the following Dual-Link DVI-I KVM:

https://www.amazon.com/ATEN-4-PORT-Dual-link-Dvi-CS1784A/dp/B004LB5AQ8/

Used it with my MDD, Mac mini G4, G5 Quad Core, G5 2.7GHz DP, Raspberry Pi, PSVita TV, generic x86 PC, work-provided x86 laptop for remote working. It worked perfectly for me and served me incredibly well for the 2 whole years I stayed in Germany. I could switch between all 8 devices using the same monitor, mouse, keyboard and speakers without having to get up from my chair. Because it is also a USB hub, I had things like PS1 and GameCube controllers with USB controller adapters all connected to it, and shared across all these devices, for any OS or hardware I had, as well. Also printer, scanner, 720P webcam, mic, and anything else USB, working across all the devices (unless if one of the OSes lacked drivers for a specific one anyway).

That setup was the peak of my physical possessions in the past...

Offline nickbirkby

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2024, 09:19:50 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply!

They seem fairly expensive, though Ive tracked down a used one made by LevelOne..

I may just stick with two monitors and try and find a switcher for the mpuse and keyboard.
It also hinges slightly on whether I can sync the two macs with system link- so far no joy- I may post another question about that shortly...

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2024, 10:35:15 AM »
I had problems too to get SystemLink working. Turned out that the Digital in/out on my Tascam US428 was enough “processed” to mess with the control data so that the connection never got established. Don’t remember any more details but it eventually worked using another interface.
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline nickbirkby

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2024, 12:03:59 AM »
Thanks Phil. Yes, Im trying with fairly standard soundcards. Im basically trying to sync G4 OS9 VST 5.2 with a G$ OSX with Cubase 4 (2006). Mainly to use different hardware.

Ive been trying to configure it but no luck yet. A lot seems to hinge on the direction of the spidif- out on one mac must go to in on another etc also one must be the master clock. I have attached a word clock cable as well...

It may be better to post a seperate question about this... Maybe today it works though... :)

It seems worth pursuing but the time starts to add up on these little projects lol.