Author Topic: Bitheadz Osmosis  (Read 8305 times)

Offline Nesufire

• Valued Member
Re: Bitheadz Osmosis
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2022, 12:03:14 PM »
Original ISO for Unity DS-1 please

Offline MistyRockandRoll

• Newcomer
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2022, 07:42:15 PM »
Apologies if I'm being ignorant, I'm new to this and just trying to figure out how to open some of these, specifically the zipped ones? I use sheepshaver so if that's the issue I'll accept that explanation but whatever way I try to load them in they seemingly just don't appear as anything but files without any linked program rendering them useless.

Offline DrNo7

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2022, 09:59:27 PM »
Apologies if I'm being ignorant, I'm new to this and just trying to figure out how to open some of these, specifically the zipped ones? I use sheepshaver so if that's the issue I'll accept that explanation but whatever way I try to load them in they seemingly just don't appear as anything but files without any linked program rendering them useless.

Usually, the simpler is to download the file and copy it to the MacOS 9 machine.
Then, you use Stuffit Expander to unarchive it.

This way, all the OS9 important resources (like the creator and type) should be retained ;)
Ti 1 GHz / 1 GB / FW SSD / Airport Extreme PCMCIA (triple boot)
Alu 12 1.5GHz / 1.5 GB / 256 GB mSata SSD (dual boot for now)

Offline MistyRockandRoll

• Newcomer
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2022, 11:38:02 AM »
I've tried that, doesn't seem to be working properly. If this isn't the right place to ask for help I can move somewhere else but the issue, to me atleast, seems to be with that specific osmosis 2 zip file because no matter where I open it it loads with a mac os x folder, even on an emulation of mac os X 10, and it just throws me an error trying to unzip it on mac os 9. Been trying to figure out what to do about this but I'm really interested in specifically the Unity Classic Library that's there

Offline robespierre

• Veteran Member
  • malfrat des logiciels
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2022, 12:48:33 PM »
.ZIP wasn't a native archive format on MacOS 9, and unfortunately the extended attributes used to encode Mac files (resource forks, creator etc) are not compatible between classic and OS X ZIP implementations.

So if this zip was created on OS X, it won't be possible to extract it properly in OS 9.
You might get lucky with an approach similar to what I used for the Castlewood Orb Tools.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2022, 05:46:23 AM »
yup, this is the main point a mac os9 newb need to know:

stuffit supports zip for OS9, but, depending on the content of the archive, it is not compatible with OSX zip and winzip/winrar´s zip.

so when you see a .zip file you never really know what it is and where to extract.

as a result you use .zip in OS9 only for stuff when it is clear how it was made and denote the format when sharing.

i like zip because it is faster, but its use should be kept to a mininum and reserved for big files. otherwise other people might open it in windows an break the content and render it unusable for OS9.

but even better, there is yet another third party zip app for OS9, which is also partially incompatible. if we would not have the chnace to ask the uploader, we could try zipit after something didnt work on OS9 and OSX board tools.

if you ever run into a .rar file which was made ith OS9, this "mac rar" format is generally incompatible with the "unix rar" for OSX and windows. "unix rar" can´t be opened in OS9, but there are "mac rar" apps for OSX.
insert arbitrary signature here