Author Topic: IDE SCSI 50 PIN to USB adapter  (Read 701 times)

Offline macguru

• Newcomer
IDE SCSI 50 PIN to USB adapter
« on: January 20, 2024, 08:12:22 AM »
having trouble finding a way to connect my old hard drive to my 2022 macbook pro.  That drive was in my Power Computing PowerBase 180. Looks like it was a SCSI 50 PIN DRIVE. Any suggestions?

Offline robespierre

• Veteran Member
  • malfrat des logiciels
Re: IDE SCSI 50 PIN to USB adapter
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2024, 12:26:37 PM »
I think drivers are going to be your biggest problem. Hard to say if there are any adapters with parallel SCSI drivers that are signed by Apple.

What could work is using a FW-SCSI or USB-SCSI adapter. They generally present themselves as ordinary "mass storage devices" on the respective computer port, so for basic hard disk use no drivers are needed.

You still won't be able to mount a HFS formatted disk directly in MacOS 10.15 or above. There may be ways to use FUSE to read those volumes.

Offline V.Yakob

• Enthusiast Member
  • Mac User
Re: IDE SCSI 50 PIN to USB adapter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2024, 01:11:12 PM »
Although such adapters exist, they can be very expensive. It is also impossible to exclude a problem with the drivers.
You can buy BlueSCSI (with support for initiator mode) to connect the disk and create an image on the SD card.
Then try to mount the resulting file via fuseHFS, I once tested it on macOS 12 Monterey (Intel).  But it's not a fact that it will work on Sonoma (AppleSilicon), because this project has not been updated all this time.
But the easiest solution would be to buy an old PowerMac, or ask your friends about the availability of these computers with a built-in SCSI or SCSI card. You can copy data either over the network or via a USB drive or another HDD with HFS+ partitions that are still supported by macOS.

IDE to USB adapters also exist, they are cheap, and there should be no problems with them.
PPC — PM 8100/80, PM 9600/300, PM G3 Minitower (Rev. C), PM G3 B&W (Rev. B), PM G4 Quicksilver (2002), PM G4 MDD (2003), PM G5 (Late 2005).
Intel — Mac mini (mid 2010), iMac 5k (2017), Mac mini (2018).
AppleSilicon — Mac mini (2020), Mac Studio M2 Max + Apple Studio Display.