Author Topic: Harrison Mixbus  (Read 7274 times)

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
Re: Harrison Mixbus
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2020, 02:47:07 PM »
Sorry, I haven't been here for quite a while...
I took a quick look at it, but haven't done any work with it. And then I sidetracked to a new istallation of my studio on a OS9-enabled Mac mini, and that is not finished either... looks like I'm taking up more that I can handle!

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2023, 09:32:23 AM »
Hey, after all this time I finally got around to try Mixbus!
When I say try, I really mean try, because I didn't have any success...
I mounted the disk image, installed Jack, restarted as in the instructions and installed Mixbus.

This is all on a 1.42 GHz PPC Mac mini running 10.4.11. My audio hardware is a Digidesign Digi 002 console.

So I double click Mixbus 2.3.1. Up springs a "session control" window. Device pane has a Driver item, choices are coreaudio, netJACK and dummy. coreaudio is selected.

Interface item shows "Digidesign HW". nothing else appears.
Other items are sample rate and buffer size.

Options pane does not seem to have items of interest.

Advanced pane has Input channels item: zero is the only option. likewise, in the Output channels item: zero is the only option.
there are input and output latency items that, in that context, are irrelevant.

So I click on "start Audio Engine" and unsurprisingly springs a window that says "Mixbus could not start JACK"...

Anybody had success/similar experience?
I guess the next step is to try with another audio interface...

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2023, 02:12:38 PM »
It's me again...
I tried with the Tascam FW1884.
The good news is I can get the audio monitoring now.

I put up a very simple three-track MS decoding setup. No automation, no plugins (I can't figure out where they live), no MIDI.

The bad news are: it's slow as molasses; screen redraws take forever; audio barely follows, and it doesn't cooperate with the control surface. Not even transport buttons.

I also have a lot of trouble figuring it out. It's not what I'd qualify as "intuitive"... Guess it's RTFM time.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2023, 03:49:43 PM »
mixbus graphics are slower than ableton live on PPC, isnĀ“t it? it is live having no GPU. ;)
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2023, 05:53:34 PM »
I can't make the comparison with Ableton Live because I don't use that, but I can say that I was shocked!

While it was playing, I tried to resize the mix window: first it takes a few seconds to acknowledge what you're doign and give that window focus. Then it takes several more seconds to redraw the window frame, and then to resize and reshuffle blocks in the window. I don't remember when I've seen that kind of behaviour last...

Reaper and Pro Tools LE merrily chug along on the same system without showing strain. I guess this will be a candidate for that bug chunk of aluminum of a Dual G5 I have in the basement, when I set it up someday.

I had also downloaded Mixbus 3 PPC from Harrison's website and decided to install it. It won't even launch...