Author Topic: Anyone own a Pippin?  (Read 4304 times)

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
Anyone own a Pippin?
« on: November 04, 2019, 11:44:28 AM »
I'm looking to do a little project.  Just wondering if there is anyone out there who owns a Pippin and would be willing to take some measurements of it for me?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

Offline OminousSilence

• An error of type ERR=NaN has occurred.
Re: Anyone own a Pippin?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 02:27:05 AM »
Do I smell an FPGA project? :-D

I don’t own one myself but if you send an email to The Centre for Computing History in Cambridge, England, I’m like 98% certain they have one on display next to a lovely old 80s Trinitron set.
IF $MachineID = 512
THEN $Normal = FALSE : $Reason = just because, lol
ENDIF

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 07:21:40 AM »
This Must Be The Place

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 08:50:27 AM »
Do I smell an FPGA project? :-D

That would be an interesting idea, but that is beyond my knowledge and budget right now.

I was just going to model the case since I think it looks cool and 3d print it and maybe put the logic board from a g3 powerbook or iBook in it.

Nope, sorry Nano.

Physical dimensions are noted here:
https://www.t3.com/features/apple-bandai-pippin-ultimate-guide-history-hardware-peripherals-games-software-and-legacy-detailed

I found this site shortly after I posted here.
This helps, but there are still some dimensions I need that I won't be able to extrapolate from the images and dimensions listed.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

Offline OminousSilence

• An error of type ERR=NaN has occurred.
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 11:40:55 AM »
I was just going to model the case since I think it looks cool and 3d print it and maybe put the logic board from a g3 powerbook or iBook in it.

If you're going to put a working motherboard sourced elsewhere into it, then have a look for a PowerMac 4000 or 7000 series as these old office machines are probably closer to the actual power of a Pippin. Those machines are ugly as all hell too so nobody* cares if you mangle the case extracting all the good hardware from it!

* Nobody extrapolated as a proportion of people in total. Actual number may vary but is unlikely to fall into negative digits. Your car, house, town, or planet may be repossessed if the number falls into negative digits.
IF $MachineID = 512
THEN $Normal = FALSE : $Reason = just because, lol
ENDIF