Author Topic: FTP between Powerbook G3 and Mac Studio  (Read 1800 times)

Offline MDMA

Re: FTP between Powerbook G3 and Mac Studio
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2023, 01:32:24 AM »
Thank you for this, I’ll try it out this evening.

I did quickly run through it, but had little time and think I missed an important step

“add line to file” as I could see the connection on my G3, but no folder listed.

I’ll give it another try whilst taking a little more care.

Thank you for your help and patience, this is quite new to me as I’m a musician/producer and certainly not a computer networking kind of guy 😂.  But once I finally get this final step done it really will help with many future projects.

Offline chrisNova777

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2023, 04:23:40 AM »
i can see your struggling with this so i have to say, the easiest solution is to use another machine on your network as a "go between"
an osx Leopard 10.5 or 10.6 mac might be perfect for this purpose.. and you would just create an AFP share directory and simply drop files from one platform and pick it up on the other. you might have to share the same directory with SMB (Samba) for the newer mac to access it. so the server would be basically translating between the two protocols (AFP + SMB)

i personally use a PC setup with XigmaNAS which is a free file server running on BSD that supports net-a-talk
but theres alot to familiarize yourself with in setting that up but once u do its a beautiful solution with a mapped network drive on your old macs...

In OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion and earlier, AFP was the primary protocol for file services. Starting with OS X 10.9 Mavericks, Server Message Block (SMB) was made the primary file sharing protocol, with the ability to run an AFP server removed later in macOS 11 Big Sur.

another possibly easy alternative would be to simply install a net-a-talk server on your modern mac studio
https://netatalk.sourceforge.io/ if there is such a thing available i dont know i dont have a new M1/M2 mac as of yet

Netatalk is a Free and Open Source Apple Filing Protocol (AFP) fileserver. A macOS, Linux, BSD, or Solaris system running Netatalk is capable of serving files to many macOS (Mac OS X) and Classic Mac OS clients simultaneously.

that afterthought might be your best solution possible.

Offline MDMA

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2023, 04:32:41 AM »
Haha, yeah I’m kinda struggling, but I will get there.

I think I understand what I did wrong and stepping away from it for a while has helped me (I think) understand what the issue may be. I’ve made progress and tonight I will get this done.

Offline chrisNova777

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2023, 04:37:18 AM »
https://68kmla.org/bb/index.php?threads/running-netatalk-on-macos.44183/
yea it looks like the recent total abandonment by apple has prompted the developers of the netatalk software to release newer versions of netatalk for installing on modern mac for accomplishing the exact task that apple has turned its backs on its own past.

Chapter 1. Introduction to Netatalk Netatalk is an Open Source software package that can be used to turn a *NIX machine into an extremely high-performance and reliable file server for Macintosh computers. Using Netatalk's AFP 3.4 compliant file-server leads to significantly higher transmission speeds for older Macs compared to Samba/NFS, while providing clients with the best possible user experience: full support for Macintosh metadata, flawlessly supporting mixed environments of classic Mac OS and OS X clients.

the recent version just was released this past month, ill have to check it out myself
https://github.com/Netatalk/netatalk/releases/tag/netatalk-3-1-18
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 06:13:36 PM by chrisNova777 »