Author Topic: Troubles with Sonnet Encore/ST 2*1,8Ghz  (Read 18262 times)

supernova777

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
Re: Troubles with Sonnet Encore/ST 2*1,8Ghz
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2015, 11:17:05 AM »
Back on the topic:
If your Mac successfully boot from the  "unsupported install CD" then
you have to remove the multiprocessor folder from the Extensions folder.
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

supernova777

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2015, 11:19:24 AM »
if u have done all the steps to properly patch the firmware..
perhaps u have an incompatible X only video card installed...
as the freeze at that specific location is exactly what i experienced using
the 9200 LE video card & radeon 9800 pro **with the radeon extensions loaded**

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2015, 11:48:07 AM »
if the screenshot shows where the system stops responding then you might have a starting point

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2015, 12:39:51 PM »
The CPU is compatible with my machine cause it works perfectly with mac os x.

i think what he was asking is if sonnet calls it officially compatible with this computer.

tho i dont think that it would work in OSX if it is not compatible with the computer .. but you never know. :)
insert arbitrary signature here

supernova777

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2015, 01:20:08 PM »
this was said because the encore/ST is not mdd compatible...
the original poster mistook the name of the cpu upgrade as being ST instead of MDX

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2015, 07:03:44 PM »
Did you get and install the updated "Apple CPU Plugins" extension from Sonnet?
I had the exact same symptom with my MDD until I found this. It was developed by Sonnet but never made it into the literature and it seems when they stopped producing the MDX, the only guys who knew about it were in support and they've all either left the company or forgotten about it.

Just Replace "Apple CPU Plug-ins" extension with this extension in:

System/System Folder/Extensions/Multiprocessing

Worked for me…

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2015, 09:14:13 PM »
and here is a version with resource fork: http://www.vintagecomp.com/sell/Sonnet/updatedCPU.sit

:)

this is not from sonnet nor from the OS 8 universal install - this is hack, but people report it works.

i found an older post at ADC where someone said that sonnet once told him the update (or actually downgrade) of the cpu plug-in is sometimes not installed properly due to a faulty sonnet installer.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2015, 12:14:42 AM »
and here is a version with resource fork: http://www.vintagecomp.com/sell/Sonnet/updatedCPU.sit

Chill dude, it's exactly the same thing. I got mine from a support guy at Sonnet AND it's not a hack AND it's a CPUP Resource - It has ONLY a resource fork and no DATA fork which was, since it was small enough, I posted uncompressed and intact. Match them up in ResEdit if you like.

The MDX installer does NOT install this CPUP. It only installs the "Sonnet Processor Upgrade" extension. That's the one with the leading space in it's name so it loads first. As far as I can tell, all it does is create the little "Cresendo" animation at startup (If you have a Sonnet, you'll know what I mean). I have two separate OS9 system folders on different partitions and they both boot the MDX just fine - with or without that extension.

Had the MDDs stayed around a little longer, the CPUP would have undoubtedly been integrated into the installer, but it was only an problem if you tried to boot OS9 natively. The very few people who called in with that issue were provided with it and everything was hunky-dory. At least until now...

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2015, 03:31:19 AM »
It has ONLY a resource fork

yeah, i can tell, it is zero kilobytes long. :)

Had the MDDs stayed around a little longer, the CPUP would have undoubtedly been integrated into the installer, but it was only an problem if you tried to boot OS9 natively.

sonnet says that there are so many versions of this file by apple that were not able to take care of all of these. a bit strange if you ask me. one always thinks that a company like sonnet will test their stuff before releasing, it is not like there were 17 different models of MDD.

supernova777

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2015, 05:36:12 AM »
perhaps it would be best for us to take matters into our own hands and ensurethat this gets added to the unsupported hardware installer in place of the multiprocessor extension? rather then having to instruct thousands of people to do the same..
as there may be some that dont even bother to ask for help and just give up thinking that it doesnt work

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2015, 06:08:02 AM »
should be veryfied first. the key is unsupported in this case. you start with a machine that doesnt support os9 unless you use it within osx and then you need to patch the firmware again to support a cpu from a third party.

supernova777

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2015, 06:20:00 AM »
posting files uncompressed is fine.. but please, at least encode to macbinary (.bin) or binhex (.hqx)

http://www.mac.org/utilities/macbinary/

simply drop a MacBinary file on it and it will be decoded, drop any other file or folder on it and it will be encoded.

MacBinary is a binary (non-text) format that encodes Macintosh files so that they can be safely stored or transfered through non-Macintosh systems. MacBinary combines the two forks of a Mac file, together with the file information (Name, Creator Application, File Type, etc) into a single binary data stream, suitable for storage on non-Mac systems. This serves a simmilar purpose to BinHex, except that BinHex takes things even further and stores the file using only text characters, so that the file will be preserved on almost any system, and can be sent through Email or USENET News without loss or corruption.

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2015, 06:36:39 AM »
it should be veryfied before you advise somebody to use it. do you know if that combo works stable ?

Offline UnSoNiC

• Valued Member
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2015, 09:17:13 AM »
Hello,

Thank you everybody for the help! Everything works fine now  :D

Here's what I did to make everything work:

1. I changed the Mac OS ROM 10.2.1 with Macintosh ROM 10.2.1v1 "Generic", you can find it here (with an extension called Insomnia):
https://www.thinkclassic.org/viewtopic.php?pid=4504#p4504

2. I replaced the "Apple CPU Plugins" extension with the one you told me to download.

The only thing that is not working properly is my ATI Radeon 9600 Pro because there is no driver for Mac OS 9  :(
It works but the possibilities that you have with that card on Mac OS X are very limited when you are on Mac OS 9.

Have anyone information to operate the ATI Radeon 9600 Pro correctly with Mac OS 9?

I tried to replace the 9600 Pro by a NVIDIA Ge Force 4600 Ti and everything's fine with that graphic card.

So again, thank you to everyone for your help  ;)

Next step, I will try to install Pro Tools 5.1.3 TDM with the Digidesign expansion chassis 13 slots with inside 1 Mix Core, 6 Mix Farms and 3 DSP Farms  :)
I will keep you informed but that's for later because I have a lot of work for the moment  :o
G4 (model M8570 EMC 1914) firewire 800
Sonnet Encore / MDX G4 Duet 2*1.8Ghz for Power Mac G4 MDD
2 Go RAM
NVIDIA Ge Force 4600 Ti graphic card
Digidesign expansion chassis 13 slots
1 Mix Core, 6 Mix Farms and 3 DSP Farms

supernova777

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2015, 09:56:01 AM »
congrats Unsonic..  8)

Offline ClairelyClaire

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2016, 11:10:07 AM »
Sorry to necro an old thread, but I have been trying to find the download mentioned here without any success.

Does anyone still have a copy of the Apple CPU Plugin file originally located at http://www.vintagecomp.com/sell/Sonnet/updatedCPU.sit ? Thank you!!

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2016, 02:08:07 PM »
This is direct from Sonnet. Replace the one in the Multiprocessing folder with this.

Offline ClairelyClaire

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2016, 06:03:52 PM »
THANK YOU! That was fast! :)

Just out of curiosity - this is different from the 2.7 version of the official Apple CPU Plugin file, correct?

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2016, 08:23:13 AM »
THANK YOU! That was fast! :)

Just out of curiosity - this is different from the 2.7 version of the official Apple CPU Plugin file, correct?

I don't know for sure. We have to find the official Apple plugging and compare with this one.
Please don't PM about things that are not private.