Author Topic: Disk Utility not showing Apple Partition Map with os9 driver option  (Read 409 times)

Offline macuser

• Newcomer
I am trying to make a bootable hdd for macos9.2.2 in PowerBookG4 (1.5MHz 15" (SMS/BT2 - Al, PowerBook5,6 - A1106). However, I stumbled at the 1st step to install os9 driver ...Disk Utility of macOS 10.3.7 that came with this G4 machine, when trying to partition the hdd, does not show an option for Apple Partition Map with os9 driver installation. 
I had tried Disk Utility in OS1-.4.11 (Tiger) for another machine.....again no option for Apple Partition.
How can I get an installer with an option for Apple Partition Map with os9 driver installation option?

I understand that officially this Alminium PowerBookG4 cannot boot into os9, but here in this forum, looks like participants are thinking all G4 machine can boot into os9.

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
Re: Disk Utility not showing Apple Partition Map with os9 driver option
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2024, 02:25:32 AM »
As I mentioned here you need to partition the drive using a computer that can boot Mac OS 9 native, or boot from the "Unofficial" CD and do it that way.

Moving this thread to the Mac OS 9 on unsupported machines board, where it belongs.
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2024, 07:17:18 AM »
yep, issue is the PC. the OS is fine, any 10.0 - 10.4.11 can set 9 drivers and has APM selected as default.

(at least for the OSX frontend, that is. via shell or when bootet from 9 already it is something different.)
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline joevt

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2024, 12:39:09 PM »
There's also this thread: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=6570
The "Install OS 9 Drivers" option should appear for external drives (connected with FireWire, not sure about other connections) and disk images.

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2024, 02:12:11 AM »
How can I get an installer with an option for Apple Partition Map with os9 driver installation option?

Some known options:

1. Connect the Mac that has the drive you want to format for OS 9 via FireWire Target Disk mode. Requires the target machine with the drive, and another machine to access OS X for you.

2. Simply use the command line version of disk utility instead, called "diskutil". There's an option you can pass to the program to install the OS 9 drivers. I think it was called "os9drivers"? You will have to look up the exact commands to use, though, I forgot how to use that tool, personally, but I know it can do the job for you.

3. Boot into OS 9 and format it from there, using the appropriate Unsupported Mac OS 9 installer for your machine.

The reason your OS X hides the option for you is because it thinks you can't boot into OS 9, so it hides the option from you. Which is why connecting your unsupported Mac via FireWire Target Disk Mode bypasses the problem, as well.

EDIT: For option 2, check out the thread linked by @joevt above. Specifically, check this comment, which shows you an example on how to format it via command line with OS 9 drivers.