Author Topic: Prevent OS X Partition from mounting in Mac OS 9  (Read 768 times)

Offline MusicWorks

• Enthusiast Member
Prevent OS X Partition from mounting in Mac OS 9
« on: January 24, 2024, 05:16:54 AM »
Hi guys!

Long time no see ;) Missed you all for sure

One quick question, have -reluctantly- installed OSX on my TiBook as I need it to flash my SuperDrive and change DVD Regions. I would like to prevent OS9 from mounting the OSX partition (that will be used exclusively for watching DVDs and changing region).

Any one know of a proper way to do this? I would also like to do the same in OS X, to avoid automount of the OS9 partition. I am using 10.2.6 and haven't been able to find the UUID for the partition and the "sudo vifs" command is non existent in Jaguars Terminal...

Thanks a bunch!!!

- MusicWorks

Offline robespierre

• Veteran Member
  • malfrat des logiciels
Re: Prevent OS X Partition from mounting in Mac OS 9
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2024, 04:37:42 PM »
/usr/bin/vifs was added in OSX 10.5 (Leopard). It only exists to lock the file to prevent two programs from editing it simultaneously. You don't need it; simply use vi, nano, BBEdit, Emacs, or whatever your favorite editor is.

I don't think that Apple Partition Map volumes have UUIDs at all. But you should be able to use the LABEL=volname syntax in /etc/fstab to make an entry that recognizes that partition.

For example:

Code: [Select]
# /etc/fstab entries:
LABEL=Mac\040OS\0409\040HD        none       hfs        rw,noauto
(\040 is an octal character escape that is interpreted as a single space character.)
This makes sure OSX recognizes this partition and won't try to automatically mount it. The partition can also be specified by its device file which never changes; use "diskutil list" to see which device file the OS9 partition is at.

From OS9, I think the partition name or type can be changed to prevent mounting. Not totally sure. Creating a JHFS+ or JHFSX volume should also prevent OS9 from mounting it, unless it's too stupid to give up and tries to mount something it doesn't understand.

Offline joevt

• Enthusiast Member
Re: Prevent OS X Partition from mounting in Mac OS 9
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2024, 05:12:19 PM »
Are we talking about partition UUID or volume UUID?

The diskutil info /Volumes/thevolume command shows a volume UUID for HFS volume on APM disk. The UUID is generated from the HFS 64-bit VSDB which you can see with the bless -info /Volumes/thevolume command.

diskutil in Jaguar doesn't show a volume UUID though.
The fstab man page in Jaguar mentions UUID but doesn't include the UUID example like the Tiger man page does.

Disk Utility.app in Tiger shows UUID for volumes but the Jaguar version doesn't.

The vsdbtouuid command in the dumpvols.sh script shows how to convert the 64 bit VSDB to a UUID but I don't know if that's useful for Jaguar.
 https://gist.github.com/joevt/a99e3af71343d8242e0078ab4af39b6c