Author Topic: Mac Mini G4 + display oddities  (Read 1973 times)

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
Mac Mini G4 + display oddities
« on: April 01, 2024, 06:27:40 AM »
I think it's time that we share our experience using Mac Mini G4s with various displays.

I own several Dells:

1x P2212H - 22", 1920x1080 @60Hz, TN type panel ("Office grade"), VGA + DVI inputs
3x U2412M - 24", 1920x1200 @60Hz, IPS type panel ("Ultrasharp), VGA + DVI + Display Port inputs

I also have 1.25; 1.42 and 1.5 GHz Mac Minis, so, lets test them and see how they work with these displays in OS9.

All System parts from RossDarker's v9 installer.

1. P2212H + 1.25 GHz or 1.42 GHz Mini

a) Using original, Dell supplied DVI to DVI cable.

This one is very odd - on the very first cold boot, when display has been disconnected from G4 and mains for a day or so, it boots into OS9 and displays at full resolution for a few minutes. Then tiny horizontal lines appear on the display and soon thereafter it goes black. On all subsequent reboots it remains black. I have to wait another day to bring back this condition. Maybe something discharges inside the display? Some sort of PRAM?
Obviously, this way of connecting is no go.  :(

b) Using "el cheapo" DVI to VGA adapter at Minis' end and original, Dell supplied VGA to VGA cable. No problems whatsoever.
Displays at full resolution (1920x1080 @60Hz). Only at start-up it shows ugly looking Mac logo at 640x480 for a moment, before switching to full resolution.

I was able to take a few screenshots when using DVI to DVI cable, before display went black, so here's the proof.

2. P2212H + 1.5 GHz "Silent upgrade" Mini

a) Using original, Dell supplied DVI to DVI cable. Does not work. No matter what I do, it displays the message below.
b) Using DVI to VGA adapter + VGA to VGA cable - works as expected

3. U2412M + 1.25 GHz or 1.42 GHz Mini

a) Using original, Dell supplied DVI to DVI cable - works as expected.

4. U2412M + 1.5 GHz "Silent upgrade" Mini

a) Using original, Dell supplied DVI to DVI cable - doesn't work, see message below.

5. Sony Bravia TV, HDMI input + any of the 1.25; 1.42 or 1.5 GHz Minis

Display resolution - 1360x768 @60Hz
Using DVI to HDMI adapter at Minis' end and HDMI to HDMI cable.
All work, although I have a feeling that 1.5 GHz model hangs on boot with spinning ball more often than the others.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 08:06:49 AM by ssp3 »
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
Re: Mac Mini G4 + display oddities
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2024, 10:51:37 AM »
I forgot to mention. If you hold the option key, when you boot the 1.5 GHz mini, at least with my 22" Dell connected to DVI, it displays everything correctly - 1920x1080. Cursor and icon sizes as they should be.

I've spent a good part of my afternoon patching things and modifying ROMs. All I can say at the moment is that it's the ATI stuff that messes things up.

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2024, 01:43:53 AM »
I forgot to mention. If you hold the option key, when you boot the 1.5 GHz mini, at least with my 22" Dell connected to DVI, it displays everything correctly - 1920x1080. Cursor and icon sizes as they should be.

I've spent a good part of my afternoon patching things and modifying ROMs. All I can say at the moment is that it's the ATI stuff that messes things up.

Yes, not just the "alt-boot" Boot Picker menu, but even Open Firmware looks fine in 1920x1600@60Hz, and even the Happy Mac logo when booting OS 9. The problem starts however right after the Happy Mac logo is done displaying. Of course, OS X 10.2 ~ 10.5 (and probably 10.6 alpha) all show fine, too.

It'd be awesome if that issue was solved with Mac OS 9 for the 1.5GHz mini.

Also, as per request, I'm reposting my experiences here, as well, so that information on this specific issue is not "lost" in the huge Mac mini G4 megathread:

One part of me is still not 100% sure if the following is an overall "revised" / "silent upgrade" mini issue, OR a specific 1.5GHz "Super mini" issue. In other words, I don't know for sure if the 1.33GHz mini is also affected or not. I highly suspect it is, BUT... Only someone with a 1.33GHz mini can tell us for sure.

In my case, I have a DELL U2412M, it's a 16:10 aspect ratio, 24", 1920x1200 @60Hz monitor. Used with the 1.5GHz Mac mini G4 (AKA "Super mini") model.

After using these ATI Extensions, which are different from what's on both v8 and v9, I got it to recognize a lot of resolutions and frequencies, via DVI. Even 1920x1200, but only @ a frequency higher than 60Hz. But my monitor is limited to 60Hz maximum. I get a black screen if I try such higher frequencies. However, at 60Hz, I do have the option to use 1600x1200 still, which is 4:3, and it just adds some black borders to the side, but otherwise it's a pixel-native resolution that works well, as long as I configure my monitor to display everything with a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Some full-screen games automatically try to switch it to 1920x1200, though, which my Mac OS 9 can only recognize at a frequency higher than 60Hz, and so I get a black screen with them, despite what I set the resolution to. So even my manual fix is not perfect.

Using an old mid '90s CRT monitor I have, though, those ATI Extensions I mentioned lead me to get no picture.
Switching to v9's unmodified ATI drivers instead, then it "works", but only at 800 x 600 resolution, and only at 256 Colors. Some games crash when I play them like this.
Now, when I switch to v8's unmodified drivers, then it works perfectly for (almost) every resolution option it gives me, which is a lot of them! Then the same games that crashed before don't crash anymore, and I can use Millions of Colors.

I hope this helps us keep track of this issue. As you can see, short of using a 1.25GHz and 1.42GHz mini, graphics and monitors can be messy and complicated. Using precisely these 2 mini models, the issue just disappears.

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2024, 04:25:24 AM »
Something that had crossed my mind was the fact we’re using the NDRV from 10.3.7/10.3.6 in the extensions/ROM used in v8/v9 respectively. Now of course, the original Mac minis shipped with 10.3.7, but later models with 10.4.2. Perhaps the slightly upgraded graphics unit of the 1.5 GHz model doesn’t ‘like’ something from these versions of Panther.

Those other ATI Drivers from @whoisthisguy, who also has a 1.5 GHz model, use an NDRV from 10.3.9. Good discussion at http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=4987.0

Tiger’s NDRV in Mac OS 9 looked promising, but the system hung once ATI extensions loaded. Leopard’s seemed to have issues too. If I recall, there was a reason for using Panther, but it could be something to revisit. https://github.com/elliotnunn/x-ndrv

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2024, 10:51:59 PM »
Model Identifier PowerMac5,1 (Cube) is set in the boot script. BUT!

G4 Cube has one VGA port and one ADC port.
Mac Mini G4 has DVI port.

Maybe this is what confuses Mini?

You could give this older ‘Quicksilver’ ROM a try on your 1.5 GHz model. There’s a little problem with the sound being loud and distorted (line out), but it’d be worth seeing if anything with the graphics changes when different combinations of the ATI drivers are used. https://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2408.0;attach=5049

I gave this a go. Unfortunately, there were no changes in behavior with regards to video, and the video options.

Something that had crossed my mind was the fact we’re using the NDRV from 10.3.7/10.3.6 in the extensions/ROM used in v8/v9 respectively. Now of course, the original Mac minis shipped with 10.3.7, but later models with 10.4.2. Perhaps the slightly upgraded graphics unit of the 1.5 GHz model doesn’t ‘like’ something from these versions of Panther.

Those other ATI Drivers from @whoisthisguy, who also has a 1.5 GHz model, use an NDRV from 10.3.9. Good discussion at http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=4987.0

Tiger’s NDRV in Mac OS 9 looked promising, but the system hung once ATI extensions loaded. Leopard’s seemed to have issues too. If I recall, there was a reason for using Panther, but it could be something to revisit. https://github.com/elliotnunn/x-ndrv

I tried the "ATI RockHopper2 Driver.sit" attachment from that thread, specifically this post, as well as "MiniG4_ATI9200_1.01.sit" from this related follow-up post. The latter one is the one I was already using to be able to use even the 4:3 resolution 1600x1200@60Hz, since v8 and v9 drivers give me no picture "out-of-range" issues. The former worked as well for me as the latter did. But neither of them allow me to use 1920x1200@60Hz (OS 9 gives me the option to use it at 76Hz, but my monitor doesn't support that).

It was a nice try, though. I also tried combining these with the "QuickSilver" ROM above, but like I said, no changes happened with that.

So basically, we have 3 video settings, so far:
1. modified ATI drivers (v8 and earlier)
2. unmodified ATI drivers (v9)
3. combination of: v8's modified ATI drivers + removal of "ATI Via Driver" + addition of @whoisthisguy's Extension (RockHopper2)

To summarize, my 1.5GHz mini:
With 1.: Works on CRTs, but not with the LCD monitor known as DELL U2412M, at least via DVI;
With 2.: Is buggy on CRTs, working only with 256 Colors at 800x600 and seemingly no acceleration, causes some 3D games to crash. Also does not work with a DELL U2412M, at least via DVI;
With 3.: Works on the DELL U2412M, at least via DVI, although 1920x1600@60Hz is not available, even though it should and even though the 1.25/1.42GHz minis can use it with v8 and I think also v9. Does not work at all on CRTs. Maybe it even crashes the OS when using a CRT?

Hearing @ssp3 on the other thread made me realize, I don't think I tested things out with the VGA port much. There's also the DisplayPort port, although I'm already using that one for something else.

After using these ATI Extensions, [...]

I put a broken link. This is the correct link. And within that post, another 3 links are referenced, which need the following URL update:

I am running the v9 build of the Mac Mini G4 OS 9 from this thread:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2408.1050.html

The base set of extensions comes from this thread:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=4277.msg29392.html#msg29392

and the modified RockHopper driver comes from this thread:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=5009.0.html

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2024, 01:22:12 PM »
This whole ATI Drivers thing is one big mess.
Nothing is documented in one place, there are intermediate versions uploaded here and there and and and.. I hate to do the detective work!

Once upon a time iMic took OS9 ATI Driver Update (driver extension), extracted Via NDRV from OS X Panther, replaced the Data fork of ATI Driver Update with the driver from Panther, made changes to several Resources and so the ATI Via Driver for his iBook. was born.

At some point later darthnVader extracted RockHopper NDRV from 10.3.7 and replaced the Data fork of iMic's ATI Via Driver with it.
He changed a value in cfrg Resource, leaving everything else, including names, in place.
This then became the RockHopper driver called ATI Via Driver for G4 Mac Mini..

darthnVader also modified several other ATI extensions with correct device IDs (5962), making sure that the chipset is recognized.

It's all described here: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=4650.msg33543#msg33543

The same RockHopper NDRV from 10.3.7 is integrated into Mac OS ROM that ELN made and RossDarker put on v9 disc image.
That driver is in ELN's GitHub repository and is called "ATY,RockHopper2-1.0.1f63-20040916.133447.pef"

Then, in May 2019, whoisthisguy took the Merlin NDRV from 10.3.9 (?) and placed it in ATI Via Driver , but this time renamed it to ATI RockHopper2 Driver.

There are two versions of this ATI RockHopper2 Driver out there:

* "ATI RockHopper2 Driver.sit" gets you earlier version from 26th May.
* "MiniG4_ATI9200_1.01.sit" is version from 27th May with "cosmetic" changes to several Resources.
Data forks (NDRV part) of both of these are identical, they both work in the same way.

So, to summarize:

ATI Via Driver is in fact real RockHopper driver.

ATI RockHopper2 Driver is Merlin driver masqueraded as RockHopper.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 04:01:06 PM by ssp3 »

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2024, 01:45:47 PM »
Yanked the v9 ROM file from System folder and replaced it with v8 ROM.

All furher tests will be conducted using this ROM and minimal set of darthnVader's modified ATI extensions plus ATI Via Driver or ATI RockHopper2 Driver (RockHopper / Merlin) or none of the above.

Dell 22" P2212H + 1.5 GHz Mini

Native display resolution - 1920 x 1080 @60Hz (16:9)

1. DVI to VGA, ATI RockHopper2 Driver - black screen.

2. DVI to VGA, no driver - 800 x 600, no acceleration.

3. DVI to VGA, ATI Via Driver - max resolution, acceleration works.
Note that display is recognized correctly as Dell P2212H

4. DVI to DVI, ATI Via Driver - black screen. Similar to my test with v9 ROM in the first post.

5. DVI to DVI, no driver - 1920 x 1080, no acceleration. Display is recognized as Color LCD.

6. DVI to DVI, ATI RockHopper2 Driver - max resolution, acceleration works.
Display is recognized as VGA (!) despite being connected over DVI. I think, this is because of Merlin code.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 10:41:35 AM by ssp3 »

Offline davecom

• Newcomer
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2024, 09:50:39 PM »
Great thread guys. I just upgraded 3 Mac mini G4s to SSDs, 1GB RAM, and installed the stock v9 Mac OS 9.2.2.

The 1.25 Ghz one I installed had no issues at 1920x1080 on my Dell 4K S2722QC.
The 1.33 Ghz and 1.5 Ghz will be big pixeled/blurry in a weird way on that monitor at 1920x1080 @60 Hz to the point of basically unusable but are fine at 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz.

So to the poster earlier in the thread, I can confirm the 1.33 seems to have similar issues to the 1.5.

I just bought a lot of 13 of these and plan to do similar upgrades on all of them (and probably sell them) so I am happy to test some potential upgraded drivers/fixes.

I should mention I am using a DVI to HDMI cable. When I tried a DVI to HDMI adapter from a no-name brand I got intermittent black screens/flickering.

By the way thanks to the folks who worked on the Mac OS 9 hack for these machines. They are the ultimate Mac OS 9 machines...

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2024, 12:53:57 AM »
The 1.33 Ghz and 1.5 Ghz will be big pixeled/blurry in a weird way on that monitor at 1920x1080 @60 Hz to the point of basically unusable but are fine at 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz.

So to the poster earlier in the thread, I can confirm the 1.33 seems to have similar issues to the 1.5.

There we go! One report on the 1.33GHz model over this subject. If this is the case, then the problem arises indeed because of the Mac mini G4 firmware that is ever-so-slightly different between the PowerMac10,1 (1.25GHz / 1.42GHz) and PowerMac10,2 (1.33GHz / 1.5GHz) models. It is not an oddity coming from the bigger VRAM in the 1.5GHz model or something.

I do know of one immediate theoretical solution for the "silent upgrade" minis: use the Mac mini ROM (the actual ROM, the New World ROM inside the ROM chip inside the physical device) of the earlier models to flash them exactly as is on the "silent upgrade" models. Some side-effects though would be things like identical serial numbers between minis. I also don't know if the 1.5GHz model would get downgraded to only 32MB of utilizable VRAM, but that won't apply to the 1.33GHz models.

Ideally, though, we don't want to take the flashing route... If we can patch up the Mac OS ROM file so that the existing v8 / v9 solutions can otherwise work for those minis, that would be ideal. It also would make @RossDarker's ASR plans of forking files depending on the model possible. (Worst case scenario, though, we could have 2 different CDs, one per model type.)

@ssp3 I know it's a different monitor, but even in your last screenshot I see the 1920x1200 resolution being available, but only at 76Hz. That is precisely why I can't use that resolution on the DELL U2412M, since it needs to run at 60Hz instead (and maybe 61Hz, but I'm not sure). If only we could somehow "hack a new entry in", at 60Hz instead...

I know we are talking of only the video issues here, but we also have NVRAM issues on these models. So sooner or later, we might want to look into the existing v8/v9 Mac OS ROM, and try to address those problems also...

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2024, 05:13:28 AM »
@ssp3 I know it's a different monitor, but even in your last screenshot I see the 1920x1200 resolution being available, but only at 76Hz. That is precisely why I can't use that resolution on the DELL U2412M, since it needs to run at 60Hz instead (and maybe 61Hz, but I'm not sure).

Hang on there, I'm not Speedy Gonzales  ;D

If you read my first post, you will see that I have three of those (my workhorse displays). Tests are done, I just didn't have time to publish them.

If we can patch up the Mac OS ROM file so that the existing v8 / v9 solutions can otherwise work for those minis, that would be ideal.

I've already tried to apply various changes to v9 ROM and made about 10 different versions. No luck.
When it comes to graphic oddities, I think it's the issue with less than ideal ATI driver for displays with high-ish resolutions by OS9 standards.

Speaking of v9 ROM...

I posted this to the long Mini thread half a year ago, but got zero response. Needless to say that v8 ROM has no duplicate lines.

A question to creators of ROM file for Mac Mini or those in the know: why are there two instances of 'PowerMac10,1 PowerMac10,2' and several other duplicate lines in the boot script in ROM file? Was it done on purpose? If so, why?

Code: [Select]
<COMPATIBLE>
PowerMac10,1 PowerMac10,2 PowerMac10,1 PowerMac10,2 MacRISC
</COMPATIBLE>

Code: [Select]
\ Hacks for Mac mini, should not affect other machines
" /" select-dev " model" active-package get-package-property 0= if
    decode-string 2swap 2drop 2dup " PowerMac10,1" $= -rot " PowerMac10,2" $= or if

\ Pretend to be a Power Mac G4 Cube
        " /" select-dev
            " PowerMac5,1" encode-string 2dup
            " model" property
            " MacRISC" encode-string encode+
            " MacRISC2" encode-string encode+
            " Power Macintosh" encode-string encode+
            " compatible" property
        device-end

\ Pretend to have a PowerPC 7445/55, actual PVR unaffected
        " /cpus/PowerPC,G4@0" select-dev
            80010201 encode-int " cpu-version" property
        device-end

\ Set prim-info (for PwrMgr v2 in NativePowerMgrLib)
        " via-pmu/power-mgt" select-dev
            000000ff encode-int
            0000002c encode-int encode+
            00030d40 encode-int encode+
            0001e705 encode-int encode+     \ public features
            00001400 encode-int encode+     \ private features
            00000000 encode-int encode+
            0000260d encode-int encode+
            46000270 encode-int encode+
            " prim-info" property
        device-end

then
then \ End of mini hacks
\ Hacks for Mac mini, should not affect other machines
" /" select-dev " model" active-package get-package-property 0= if
    decode-string 2swap 2drop 2dup " PowerMac10,1" $= -rot " PowerMac10,2" $= or if

\ Pretend to be a Power Mac G4 Cube
        " /" select-dev
            " PowerMac5,1" encode-string 2dup
            " model" property
            " MacRISC" encode-string encode+
            " MacRISC2" encode-string encode+
            " Power Macintosh" encode-string encode+
            " compatible" property
        device-end

\ Pretend to have a PowerPC 7445/55, actual PVR unaffected
        " /cpus/PowerPC,G4@0" select-dev
            80010201 encode-int " cpu-version" property
        device-end

\ Set prim-info (for PwrMgr v2 in NativePowerMgrLib)
        " via-pmu/power-mgt" select-dev
            000000ff encode-int
            0000002c encode-int encode+
            00030d40 encode-int encode+
            0001e705 encode-int encode+     \ public features
            00001400 encode-int encode+     \ private features
            00000000 encode-int encode+
            0000260d encode-int encode+
            46000270 encode-int encode+
            " prim-info" property
        device-end

then
then \ End of mini hacks

« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 04:20:51 PM by ssp3 »

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2024, 06:09:04 AM »
I should mention I am using a DVI to HDMI cable. When I tried a DVI to HDMI adapter from a no-name brand I got intermittent black screens/flickering.

To those, who will be posting their results to this thread - please list the following, so that we know as much details as possible.

1. Mac Mini model - 1.25; 1.33; 1.42 or 1.5 Ghz.
2. Software version used - v8; v9 or some other.
3. ATI extensions used - original or modified.
4. Driver extension used - ATI Via Driver or ATI RockHopper2 Driver.
5. Cables, adapters and ports used in the test. Ideally all that are available.
6. Display model + ports available (VGA, DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort)
7. Native resolution of the display - i.e. 1920 x 1200 @60Hz etc.

Pictures and screenshots are welcome  :)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 06:53:24 AM by ssp3 »

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2024, 08:58:13 AM »

I think you've jumped to conclusions way too soon. If one is testing something, all possible variables should be included in the test too. ;)

And so I conducted the following test that I omitted before.

* Dell 24" U2412M + 1.5 GHz Mini
* v8 ROM, modified ATI extensions (minimal set), ATI RockHopper2 Driver.
* Testing DVI to DVI connection using DVI to HDMI adapters and HDMI cables.

I have at my disposal three adapters - two dual link DVI-D and one single link DVI-D.
I also have two HDMI cables - one thicker and one thinner. Where they come from and who made them, I have no idea.

With all possible permutations:
* 2 dual link adapters
* 1 dual link and 1 single link adapter
* single link at Mac end
* single link at display end
I got normal picture (given the U2412M oddities) with thicker HDMI cable.

When I tried the other, thinner cable, I got this. And, no, the cable is not defective, it works fine elsewhere.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 04:23:04 PM by ssp3 »

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2024, 09:48:42 AM »
@ssp3 Is there something special in that last screenshot? 1920x1080@60Hz is "normal" to have with that monitor + ATI RockHopper2 via regular DVI-DVI cable, as well.

Are you trying to say that with the thicker HDMI cable (but not the thinner one), you were able to get 1920x1200@60Hz instead, on that monitor?

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2024, 10:10:31 AM »
@ssp3 Is there something special in that last screenshot?

Obviously. Tons of horizontal lines. Could be sync problem.

Are you trying to say that with the thicker HDMI cable (but not the thinner one), you were able to get 1920x1200@60Hz instead, on that monitor?

No, I didn't say that. Better wait for my next test results. Or switch to VGA cable right now, if you want 1920x1200@60Hz and can't wait any longer ;)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 04:36:38 PM by ssp3 »

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2024, 10:34:07 AM »
Dell 24" U2412M + 1.5 GHz Mini

Native display resolution - 1920 x 1200 @60Hz (16:10)

1. DVI to VGA, ATI RockHopper2 Driver - black screen.

2. DVI to VGA, no driver - 800 x 600, no acceleration.

3. DVI to VGA, ATI Via Driver - max resolution, acceleration works.
Note that display is recognized correctly as Dell U2412M

4. DVI to DVI, ATI Via Driver - black screen. Similar to my test with v9 ROM in the first post.

5. DVI to DVI, no driver - 1920 x 1200, everything looks fine, but no acceleration and 256 colors only.
Display is recognized as Color LCD.

6. DVI to DVI, ATI RockHopper2 Driver - acceleration works, but there is no option to switch to 1920 x 1200 @60Hz native resolution
Display is recognized as VGA (!) despite being connected over DVI. I think, all this is because of Merlin code in the driver.

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2024, 03:39:07 PM »
If someone thinks that having 1.25 GHz or 1.42 GHz model is a safe bet, check how many conditions produced black screen with this combo.

Dell 22" P2212H + 1.25 GHz Mini

Native display resolution - 1920 x 1080 @60Hz (16:9)
v8 ROM, minimal set of modified ATI extensions plus ATI Via Driver or ATI RockHopper2 Driver.

1. DVI to DVI, ATI Via Driver - black screen.

2. DVI to DVI, ATI RockHopper2 Driver - black screen.

3. DVI to DVI, no driver - black screen.

4. DVI to DVI, no driver, no other ATI extensions - black screen.

5. DVI to VGA, ATI RockHopper2 Driver - black screen.
Strangely, once installed, I found it difficult to boot with "Extensions off" to recover from this condition. I had to switch to DVI-DVI cable and then back to do it.

6. DVI to VGA, neither ATI Via Driver nor ATI RockHopper2 Driver - black screen after brief moment with Happy Mac icon and large cursor.
Recovery as difficult as above.

7. DVI to VGA, no driver, no other ATI extensions - 640 x 480, 256 colors, no acceleration.

8. DVI to VGA, ATI Via Driver - max resolution, acceleration works.
Display is recognized correctly as Dell P2212H

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2024, 12:19:15 AM »
@ssp3 Great detective work! So it essentially works correctly with both of those DELL monitors as long as we connect to them via its VGA port instead of the others. I don't know if this is laggier than plain DVI due to it being an analog connection which gets converted to digital (AFAIK), but it seems to be the only proper option. It is curious how it is even able to get the monitor names.

In any case, even then, it needs the ATI Via Driver, which is included with v8 and earlier. Just to be sure, using VGA with v9 (no modified drivers) = black screen? Did v9 + ATI Via Driver + VGA work?

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2024, 04:39:14 AM »
OK, I spoke too soon: I still do not get 1920x1200@60Hz over the VGA port of the DELL U2412M monitor with the ATI Via Driver: It still only shows the option @76Hz instead, all other resolutions at @60Hz are lower. I have a small VGA-to-DVI converter on the mini side, which I always used successfully with a CRT monitor. Also, my monitor is only identified as "VGA Display" in the Control Panel, just like before, instead of "DELL U2412M". It is weird we have the same minis and monitors, yet the results were different. Different VGA-to-DVI adapters? Different VGA cables?

There's also now an additional issue: the picture quality is slightly blurry, presumably due to conversion loss by using the VGA cable instead of DVI.

Interestingly, some extra options showed up on the Monitors Control Panel, which are suffixed by (NTSC) and (PAL). The PAL ones are at 50Hz. The NTSC ones just seem redundant with what I already had.

Oh well, back to DVI and ATI RockHopper2...

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2024, 07:16:22 AM »
Just to be sure, using VGA with v9 (no modified drivers) = black screen? Did v9 + ATI Via Driver + VGA work?

I guess I wrote too many lines and posted too many pictures..  ;D

@Jubadub, this is for you.

U2412M + 1.5 GHz Mini
DVI to VGA adapter + VGA to VGA cable by Dell.

1. v9 installation (v9 ROM, unmodified ATI extensions), no ATI Via Driver, no ATI RockHopper2 Driver - WORKS.
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=7048.msg54304#msg54304

2. v8 installation (v8 ROM, modified ATI extensions, ATI Via Driver included) - WORKS.
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=7048.msg54404#msg54404

With v9 install, you don't need ATI Via Driver, because it is integrated into v9 ROM.
Any driver that you will put in as Extension will override the built-in ATI Via Driver and will require all other modified ATI extensions.

As to the DVI to VGA adapters, I've been using plain vanilla and also original Apple provided ones. In my case, they all behaved identically.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 08:10:29 AM by ssp3 »

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2024, 07:30:00 AM »
My results...

1.42 GHz Mac mini
Aluminium Cinema HD Displays

Testing both the 23" (1920x1200) and 20" (1680x1050) models of the display independently; the results are the same.
Both connect over a hard-wired DVI cable and are recognised as "Cinema HD" in the Monitors Control Panel.

Standard v9 install - full resolution @ 60 Hz, 2D/3D Acceleration working (both monitors)

Standard v8 install (v8 ROM + Via Driver) - full resolution @ 60 Hz, 2D/3D Acceleration working (both monitors)

v8 ROM + RockHopper2 Driver - black screen, 3 blinks from monitor LED. Can hear system sounds once booted, just no picture.