Digital Audio Workstation & MIDI > Digital Audio Workstations & MIDI Applications

Audio recording precision

(1/7) > >>

gert79:
One reason for me to move back to the old Mac G4 was that i expected it to be more precise when recording midi events to audio. How i figured out so far it also has it´s own imperfections.

As i did not want to rely on the jitter of my midi hardware i started to record the direct midi signal as audio.
I created a looped section of some notes and recorded several takes from that midi track.
This does not look so bad in the beginning, note on and off´s are quite aligned in the first screenshot.

But as you can see in the second screenshot, the further i scroll on in the timeline there are obvious deviations on some of the tracks. The larger gaps you can see there are about 4mS.

I can conform that this issue is on the recording side, as i also recorded midi out back to in with several takes and it worked flawlessly.

I played around with ASIO buffer sizes, the buffer settings in SVP, process ahead and offset parameters, i cannot get this to be properly aligned.

How are others dealing with this? Basically every take you record from a midi track steering a synth can be off in timing/have jitter. Is this a SVP specific issue?

smilesdavis:
Steinberg has some tight g4 era midi with their midi interfaces

gert79:
This is tight, running a Opcode Studio 4. The audio recording part is what creates the issue.

GaryN:

--- Quote from: gert79 on January 14, 2024, 10:04:28 AM ---One reason for me to move back to the old Mac G4 was that i expected it to be more precise when recording midi events to audio. How i figured out so far it also has it´s own imperfections.

As i did not want to rely on the jitter of my midi hardware i started to record the direct midi signal as audio.
I created a looped section of some notes and recorded several takes from that midi track.
This does not look so bad in the beginning, note on and off´s are quite aligned in the first screenshot.

But as you can see in the second screenshot, the further i scroll on in the timeline there are obvious deviations on some of the tracks. The larger gaps you can see there are about 4mS.

I can conform that this issue is on the recording side, as i also recorded midi out back to in with several takes and it worked flawlessly.

I played around with ASIO buffer sizes, the buffer settings in SVP, process ahead and offset parameters, i cannot get this to be properly aligned.

How are others dealing with this? Basically every take you record from a midi track steering a synth can be off in timing/have jitter. Is this a SVP specific issue?

--- End quote ---

This is amazing. I've been using SVP since before it was even called that and I'll be damned if I can figure out what I'm looking at here!
The screenshots are absolutely incomprehensible to me.

Perhaps you can go into some detail as to how you created this. The audio tracks are unrecognizable. Are they pulses of some kind? Do you mean you converted MIDI data directly to audio somehow? How did you "record midi out back to in"?

Without some detailed info about exactly how you set this up, what you used as a test "note", how you recorded it - 4 tracks? one at a time? separately? and any other details that can effect the result, no one will be able to offer any constructive remarks on this or even if it's a valid methodology.

You're attempting to conduct a precision test of both MIDI and Audio capabilities simultaneously and you're using the very hardware and software under test to display the results. THEN, according to you, you're looping/running repeated iterations of that and seeing increasing inaccuracies as it progresses. Even without knowing exactly what it consists of, my very first thought is that any small, insignificant errors in the beginning will inevitably be cumulative and so increase with each loop as it progresses.

But, again, I'd feel more confident about that statement if I had a real understanding of what the heck I'm actually looking at.

As Desi used to say… "Please to 'splain, Lucy".

gert79:
First i created a midi track with 16th notes which can be seen on top, this track has been looped using the ":" markers left and right of "Len 1". I hope repeating a part does not intruduce additional latency or jitter. But i can repeat the test without the loop function and a longer track playing the notes. Although I don't think the loop function makes the issue.

Then i took a midi cable and identified the wire that carries the midi out signal, this wire + shield i hooked up to the input of my soundcard. This is to bypass any latency or jitter of midi devices, just directly record the midi signal. This is why you see two pulses, one for note on, one for note off.

Then i recorded several takes of that signal, always only one track at a time.

In the end i figured out that there is always a random offset between the recordings, i was hoping they would be all aligned.

I am using a M-audio Delta 44 and Acadia 603_G3_(G4) file.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version