Author Topic: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)  (Read 383538 times)

Offline YoYsY

• Newcomer
Re: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)
« Reply #760 on: January 28, 2024, 11:12:43 PM »
Hi, I recently acquired a PowerBook G3 Firewire 400mHz and am looking into what to do with it. It has a Japanese keyboard and has a Japanese version of OS 9 installed. So my first step is getting an english OS 9 installed. I am also upgrading the RAM to 1GB and storage to a 128GB SSD. I am learning a lot from this site and some of the other great resources online.

Offline Sparky

• Newcomer
« Reply #761 on: February 16, 2024, 02:40:11 PM »
Hi everyone. Looking to dust off some old OS9 apps and games, just need to source a UK MacMini G4 now :)

Offline carrierF

• Newcomer
« Reply #762 on: February 16, 2024, 07:00:45 PM »
Hello everyone!

just got a G4 Mac mini (1.2ghz 60gb), two of them, from a local SF Bay Area school.

My plan is to make the best DAW workstation I can, using DieHards image to start, and then adding:
e-mu sample sets
Sound Font sample sets
a collection of old reason refills I have
90s productions cds and Amiga tracker sample files

most of the above is from Internet Archive, some old torrents, and adding it all up, it will be nearly 300-500GB, and my goal was to fit it entirely on a 500GB SSD.

The goal is to make it completely offline machine, for fun and productivity. I currently have an Mbox2, and looks like I will need to downgrade to a Digi002 or something similar.

Thank you to DieHard for already helping me out a bit! Thanks to MacTron for some great posts on file conversion and compatibility. Looking to chat with anyone else who is on the PPC Mac DAW journey.

Offline applefreak

• Newcomer
« Reply #763 on: February 21, 2024, 09:53:17 PM »
1979, bought the Apple II europlus to experiment

Visited a technology fair, saw the Apple Lisa and RadarCH (first version of ArchiCad) promising, but the combination - computer, software, printer and plotter - wasn’t affordable at all.

Late 1985, I got a presentation of a Macintosh 512k, it seemed to me they did nothing but swap floppy disks, yet I bought a 512k with external floppy drive and a printer with sheet feeder.
Then a Mac Plus, SE/30, Quadra 700 and LCs,
late 1996, Umax SuperMac S900/200 because Apple couldn't deliver the ordered 8500/150 in time.

2003, purchase of a 20th Anniversary Macintosh, nice design - underpowered, then I chased the Apple Lisa........
Mac User since 1985