Author Topic: quicksilver os x with X800? not possible?  (Read 718 times)

Offline Ncc74656

• Valued Member
quicksilver os x with X800? not possible?
« on: December 16, 2023, 03:53:56 PM »
ive been looking for anyone with a success story of a PC X800 radeon over to mac with a QS. ive found posts with MDD's but what little information i have found on QS is people complaining that the AGP port is picky and wont take such a new card.

does anyone have any info on if anyone has flashed this card to mac and had it work?

thanks.

Offline Ncc74656

• Valued Member
Re: quicksilver os x with X800? not possible?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2023, 07:25:25 PM »
well ive done a couple days of research here. as i remembered it seems the pro vivo is the only version that does not have laser cut package disabling pipelines.  now i have found a mac retail rom for a 109 board.  if what ive found is correct the only difference between 102 and 109 revision numbers is WHO assembeled the board. having said that... it does not appear the mac x800 is a vivo card so i just need to hope nothing funky is changed.

it also seems that the only board one might be able to buy to turn into a mac card is either an XT or PRO as the XL uses different die size/pipelines/clocks and the SE has the same die but half the pipelines.

in theory i suppose someone could software disable the 4 pipelines in an XT firmware and maybe drop clocks a bit and make it work in a mac? im not sure, im more of a hardware guy. i can reball a gpu core on but as for hex editing the firmware... might take me a while.

so far ive only found one firmware file for the X800 as well. if anyone has a link to more than just the eliete mac that would be helpful. thanks.

Offline Ncc74656

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2023, 07:24:33 PM »
idk if i killed the card or not. home after a long day at work - my hotair station broke, my laptop quit powering on, bios flasher refused to write in windows 11....    i plugged the x800 into the slot with out blocking off those pins - G4 powered on so it sent 24v through something...

the G4 works and the card is detected in mac but i dont have a pc to test it in so... idk.  ill come at it again when i get a new soldering station and bios flasher.

Offline Ncc74656

• Valued Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2024, 08:40:16 PM »
tested in a PC i picked up - it still works.  im going to remove the factory rom and put on a new flashed mac rom. then see where i end up.   im also going to remove two resistors from the cards pins to disconnect them.