Author Topic: the search for sata-os9 bootable firmware+card combination  (Read 60013 times)

Offline max1zzz

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
Re: the search for sata-os9 bootable firmware+card combination
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2014, 04:36:51 PM »
Yes i have a couple of spare cards, will give it a go tommrow :)

supernova777

« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2014, 04:44:21 PM »
http://www.pcidatabase.com/vendor_details.php
this is a prety insane long document

i would think theres little risk involved u can always flash back with a pc if thats what u are using

supernova777

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2014, 06:57:53 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SILICON-IMAGE-PB3112SATA150-SATA-CONTROLLER-/261300772480

another great find here

"PB3112SATA150"

this card also has the rom chip socket on the board

not sure what brand/make this is but u can find it with that identifier
the sticker is blocking the chip so no way to know what size rom chip it comes with

the pcb board on this card is consistant with the "Silicon Image" branded cards.. so its a 100% made by silicon image.. thats why it says 2002 and not 2003 or 2004 (when the other cards hit the market)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 11:05:23 PM by chrisNova777 »

supernova777

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2014, 07:18:37 PM »
heres the datasheet on the sil3112

screenshots are an example of the 16 hex- bytes of the config string from the 3512 pdf

could this be a simple fix of correcting the vendor + device ids in the firmware??????????
max1zzz are u up for checking this out?? i think the very first thing to do would be to check the device id + vendor id
are matching up correctly for a 3512 vs 3112

observe that the setup for the string is structured slightly different depending on which type of memory the rom file is stored in
flash rom vs eeprom

also remember that dougg3 had said that this string is read *backwards* from the end of the file, back 1 by 1 hex byte (not sure if thats the proper reference) so its the last 16 characters of the rom file to look at...  see dougs post here: https://68kmla.org/forums/index.php?/topic/13557-sil3112-flashing-sata/?p=221554

The last 16 bytes of the flash chip contain some configuration values for the Sil3112 according to the Sil3112 datasheet. It sets stuff like the PCI ID and some register options in the chip. It reads backwards from the end of the chip looking for these bytes (very last byte first, then second to last byte, and so on...):

0xAA (data signature) 0x55 (data signature) flash speed (0xAA = 120 ns, otherwise 240 ns) 0x55 (data signature) PCI device ID bits 23:16 PCI device ID bits 31:24 PCI class code bits 15:8 PCI class code bits 23:16 PCI sub-system vendor ID bits 7:0 PCI sub-system vendor ID bits 15:8 PCI sub-system ID bits 23:16 PCI sub-system ID bits 31:24 SATA PHY config bits 7:0 (default: 0xF1) SATA PHY config bits 15:8 (default: 0x80) SATA PHY config bits 23:16 (default: 0x00) SATA PHY config bits 31:24 (default: 0x00)
It's probably a good idea to ensure that string is at the end of the chip. Good call on doing that!

anyway
we need to compare like i said a working 3512 rom file.. (saved from a working 3512 card?) with the 1s2 firmware file

i think that these values are very important and that these values matching between the 3112a cards is the only reason why the firmware 'works' with only those cards.. because the device id + vendor id and/or other values is somehow matching up properly on these cards.. but on other non 3112a cards there is a slight mismatch... but if we can change these values to their correct values we might be able to realize having bootable 3512 / 3124 cards!!! enough 'shooting in the dark' we need factual intelligent information on how to fix this + configure these things correctly.. its not rocket science if u have the information regarding setup to cross reference.. then u change a few numbers + it works!

i will attach the 3124 pdf datasheet also
i found the filenames (but broken links) here http://wiki.osdev.org/User:Quok/Silicon_Image_Datasheets

14 12 0C 72
6F 6D 2D 72
65 76 69 73
69 6F 6E 01
this is the last string in the 1s2 rom of 16 'bytes' before it 'pads out' all zeroed blocks 00000000
so going by what dougg3 said, 73 69 would be the pci device id entries?
then 76 65 the pci class codes
then 72 2D the vendor id's
and then 6D 6F the subsystem id. etc etc

how do i convert these to normal digits

where is blitter when u need him LOL ;D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 07:55:30 PM by chrisNova777 »

Offline max1zzz

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2014, 12:26:29 AM »
Ok, bad news, the acard chip is not a rebranded via one. If you look closley at the board the sata lines come out a differen't side than the via chip

I haven't had a chance to look at that yet, but i don't think its going to make any difference, because i just copied the firmware from my sil3112 card, so it's id will be set as a 3112. However the card still reports as a sil 3512 and i don't think that the firmware will execute when the card identifies itself as a 3512

Offline max1zzz

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2014, 09:45:56 AM »
Ok, just done the maths on the sil 3112 cards, the cost of the card is £4.76 + £0.93 for the correct flash chip

So it'll be £9 + shipping for a card (shipping is 73p to the UK, £3.20 to europe and £3.80 to the rest of the world)

Only problem i have encountered with these cards is that my 2001 QS won't boot with them installed, my b/w G3 and sawtooth g4 are fine with it. I need to test the MDD with one (I expect it should work as they work in my g4 xserve which is based off the MDD iirc)

supernova777

« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2014, 09:52:05 AM »
i have 2 of the cards doug made... and they work fine in my mdd + qs

Offline max1zzz

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2014, 09:58:09 AM »
have you got a '01 or '02 QS? Might just be that mine is being picky

supernova777

« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2014, 12:44:57 PM »
Ok, bad news, the acard chip is not a rebranded via one. If you look closley at the board the sata lines come out a differen't side than the via chip

I haven't had a chance to look at that yet, but i don't think its going to make any difference, because i just copied the firmware from my sil3112 card, so it's id will be set as a 3112. However the card still reports as a sil 3512 and i don't think that the firmware will execute when the card identifies itself as a 3512

yeah i noticed that the acard chip was listed on that pci devices site i posted above... so its a seperate chip of its own..
not the same as the via 6421.

i really wish u had some type of instant message max..
i have questions about what u have done and what u are doing it with.. and i want to discuss this but i dont want to spend 2 hrs posting threads;D

my qs is a 2002 933 rev. B board.

speaking of quicksilvers
heres a page where a guy is installing a via powered mathey card into a qs
http://www.designers-garage.jp/apple/tips/g4hdd/
notice hes using PATA... probably to avoid the size limitation of the "rev.A"
2001 quicksilver board you probably have max..

Offline max1zzz

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2014, 01:11:14 PM »
You can always drop in on my wired server, or if you have a gmail account gmail has a im feature i use from time to time. But apart from that i will never have any kind of im

Anyhow, yes mine is a '01 so thats probably the problem.

If only we could find that card, anyware, i looked through almost every japaneese site that had them listed and they where all out of stock.. I'll pay good money if anyone can turn up one of those cards

Oh, and i ordered myself a flash chip programmer, so i'll do a bit more screwing with the sil 3112 and 3512 cards once i have that (i'm gonna socket the chip on both)

supernova777

« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2014, 01:16:22 PM »
we need a realtime chat room on the site!!!!!!  -afro-

would help to be able to collaborate
and problem solve

Offline max1zzz

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2014, 01:27:16 PM »
Yeah that would be good, shouldn't be too hard to setup a irc chat room

Offline thebob

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2014, 10:04:54 PM »
You can always drop in on my wired server, or if you have a gmail account gmail has a im feature i use from time to time. But apart from that i will never have any kind of im

Anyhow, yes mine is a '01 so thats probably the problem.

If only we could find that card, anyware, i looked through almost every japaneese site that had them listed and they where all out of stock.. I'll pay good money if anyone can turn up one of those cards

Oh, and i ordered myself a flash chip programmer, so i'll do a bit more screwing with the sil 3112 and 3512 cards once i have that (i'm gonna socket the chip on both)

I just had a hunt through my old things and I've got a Mathey MSATAII-I2MAC brand new in the shrink-wrap.. I must have bought it years ago and not installed it. Softmap in Akihabara for Yen 4880, about 50 bucks.

If you could talk me through how to extract the firmware I'll give it a go. Do you want me to open it and take a pic?

Offline thebob

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2014, 10:25:00 PM »
i found this pdf document about the
http://www.sybausa.com/productInfo.php?iid=523
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124012

Other Features

Disk RAID 0/1 support (only for inic-1622TA2/1623TA2).
    SATA hot plug/unplug hardware support
    Implements Power Management
    Full driver support for all Major Operating Systems
    BIOS supports for DOS, Windows and MAC OS(only for inic-1623TA2) applications without driver involvement.
    Supports Plug and Play allowing users to change configurations without the use of jumpers

can see a 512 on the chip which means this rom chip is very small. 62k size.. which is great if it has firmware that can boot mac os 9....!!! but does it??

its impossible to read these codes on these chips to see if its "inic-1623TA2" or "inic-1622TA2"

It is the inic-1623TA3 on the Mathey card and looking at the pic on the box it seems to be identical except for the 2 SATA ports near the riser.

Offline thebob

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2014, 12:12:40 AM »

Mathey Msata-13UMAC

Thats the holy grail if you can find that card, it uses the cheap as hell Via 6421A chip. Get that card and it's cheap sata cards for us all :)

I've been reading up on these cards and there are lots of reports of failures.

There is a SUGOI SATA CARD【SATA-IF150CM】SATA+UltraATA card, which looks pretty similar, up on Yahoo Auction Japan at the moment for Yen 2,000 about £10

http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r120274162#enlargeimg

supernova777

« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2014, 12:37:32 AM »
hi thebob;
the card u linked is not the same card...
similar, but we have no reason to believe that the card u posted is mac compatible... with any series of macs be it powerpc or intel.

its most likely that the card works in mac os x.... the cards we feature + discuss on this site are rare in that they are also capable of booting mac os 9...

if they dont specify that it can boot classic mac os/mac os 9 then its most likely that it does not work for this purpose.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 03:17:11 AM by chrisNova777 »

Offline thebob

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2014, 01:13:36 AM »
hi thebob;
the card u linked is not the same card...
similar, but we have no reason to believe that the card u posted is mac compatible... with any series of macs be it powerpc or intel.

"MacOS 10.4/10.3/10.2.8/9.2.2。
対応パソコンは、Power Mac G5(PCI-Xスロットモデル)、 Power Mac G4 、Power Mac G3 (Blue&White) 以降です。"

These are the details of the posted card up for auction at the moment. It's a used card out of a Quicksilver.

The card you are looking for the, Mathey Msata-13UMAC is really unusual. I'll hunt around and see if I can find one. If I do do you have a quick tutorial on how to extract the firmware?

Is the firmware on my MSATAII-12MAC no good to you? Thats on an INIC1623TA3 controller. And the card is still shrink-wrapped. I've had it for years.

Offline thebob

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2014, 02:04:19 AM »
Here is the product page for the Sugoi SATA-IF150CM

The details state MacOS 10.4/10.3/10.2.8/9.2.2  Power Mac G5,G4,G3 (Blue&White)

http://www.system-talks.co.jp/product/sata-if150cm.htm

And a closeup of the silicon.

supernova777

« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2014, 03:18:48 AM »
i see now that it says its 9.22 compatible.. but ive never seen any other card to have 3 sata ports + ata support..

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.system-talks.co.jp%2Fproduct%2Fsata-if150cm.htm&edit-text=&act=url

though this drive claims compatibility with 9.22 i doubt it supports BOOTing mac os 9 from an attached drive..
because they dont claim this fact.. instead they choose to stress the tiger compatibility . why? because it probably boots tiger only.. not panther, and not mac os 9.

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2014, 11:09:09 AM »

I just had a hunt through my old things and I've got a Mathey MSATAII-I2MAC brand new in the shrink-wrap.. I must have bought it years ago and not installed it. Softmap in Akihabara for Yen 4880, about 50 bucks.

If you could talk me through how to extract the firmware I'll give it a go. Do you want me to open it and take a pic?

Great! At least you have the card! I do not know how to save the firmware, but having the card was the first wall. You are decided to extract the firmware. Thanks! Soon someone here will give you the tips to make it. Probably max1zzz or other expert in that. We already have found a firmware to make the cheap ones OS9 compatible, I believe max1zzz is offering them. For sure taking a look on the firmware would reveal things about that unique Mathey card

I think there are 3 firmwares for SiI 3112. The Sonnet/Firmtek, the Weinetech and the last one is the Mathey, and some require swapping of chips.

Thats the holy grail if you can find that card, it uses the cheap as hell Via 6421A chip. Get that card and it's cheap sata cards for us all :)

I've been reading up on these cards and there are lots of reports of failures.

There is a SUGOI SATA CARD【SATA-IF150CM】SATA+UltraATA card, which looks pretty similar, up on Yahoo Auction Japan at the moment for Yen 2,000 about £10

http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r120274162#enlargeimg

Try to contact max1zzz if noone post anything. Or iMic. Maybe he can point you to someone who knows how to.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4