Author Topic: The chassis expansion anthology for PowerMacs  (Read 73083 times)

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
if you guys could attach pictures of your ribbon cables maybe that would help ?
I am not sure I understand, you mean attach pictures of the cable when I get it from the cable builder? I will certainly do that and I will also post the where, when, and how to get a cable made information as well

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
My G4 and Expansions chassis are now noise free
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2015, 03:36:27 PM »
I could no longer stand the fingers on a chalk board noise of the fans coming from the G4 so I decided to do something about.

I replaced all the fans with Silenx fans (including) the 80mm power supply fan, and the CPU fan (which was the biggest offender) I even cut out the plastic and metal grill that covers power supply fan.

Result?

If it wasn't for the hard drive you would not be able to tell if it was on or not, it is that quiet.

So then I moved on to the 7 slot expansion chassis. This was a lot easier to replace the fans in. The power supply was a lot easier to work on as it has a lot more room in it than the G4 supply. The two front fans I stepped up from 92mm to 100mm.

The result?

It is a lot quieter, I did not cut out the power supply grill which believe it or not really adds to the sound level so I am going to do that on this one as well. The front fans a quieter but suffer still from chassis resonance which amplifies any fan noise, so i am going to put in some dampening.

Will let you know how that works out

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
Re: My G4 and Expansions chassis are now noise free
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2015, 06:46:01 PM »
Hey that's great... will be replacing the power supply fans in a MDD and planning on addressing the fans in my chassis too! I was waiting till I add the other 2 mix cards to scope it out. I have the same chassis as you do so post any pertinent info ... links for fans, etc. Glad everything is working out. I've been having some MAJOR fun since I got my chassis going...makes a BIG difference!! ;D

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
if you guys could attach pictures of your ribbon cables maybe that would help ?
I am not sure I understand, you mean attach pictures of the cable when I get it from the cable builder? I will certainly do that and I will also post the where, when, and how to get a cable made information as well

Yeah, that would be great info for people looking for cables!

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
The cable build is getting all grumblely with me say they cant reuse the node connectors because they will break.

However there is this post http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=786.0

Knezzen said-- "Cable no longer needed. I built my own from some old PATA cables and the connectors from two 5-node cables."

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
http://www.bo.infn.it/cms/mutrigger/RegTrg/BSDataSheets/8825-8830_kel_connectors.pdf
I finally tracked these devils down

it is the KEL 8825 - 060

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
There are variations in the connectors. the Digi node cables are a 8825 - 060 series and the variation is D9576 i am going to fins a distributor if they wont sell direct

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
That's awesome... You're a genius!!!😁

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=786.0

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
That's awesome... You're a genius!!!😁

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=786.0

It gets better!

I just heard from the company.

Below are the part numbers and two locations in the US where you can buy the parts

Read the PDF to understand what the different part numbers mean. The order codes are on page two
The part number will be 8825-060-175-F,  8825-060-175D-F, 8825E-060-175-F or 8825E-060-175D-F.

Please check as linked.
http://www.kel.jp/english/product/Half_8800/8825e.pdf

Please contact following distributors for not large volume.

Distributors:

Kensington Electronics, Inc.
11801 Stonehollow Drive, #150
Austin, TX 78758
TEL: 800-325-0534
TEL: 512-339-3300
FAX: 512-833-8034
Attn: Casey Donovan
mailto:[email protected]
http://www.keiconn.com

Voyager Electronics Corp.
3065 101st Avenue NE
Blaine, MN 55449
TEL: 877-798-4778
TEL: 763-571-7766
FAX: 763-571-9519
mailto:[email protected]
http://www.voyagercorp.com

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
Nice detective work!😁

Offline Jakl

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2015, 05:27:27 AM »

I replaced all the fans with Silenx fans (including) the 80mm power supply fan, and the CPU fan (which was the biggest offender) I even cut out the plastic and metal grill that covers power supply fan.

Result?

If it wasn't for the hard drive you would not be able to tell if it was on or not, it is that quiet.

Can you post some pictures of the power supply before and after - I'd just like to have a closer look at what you mean by cutting out the plastic and metal grill.

Thanks

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2015, 10:55:06 AM »

Result?

Can you post some pictures of the power supply before and after - I'd just like to have a closer look at what you mean by cutting out the plastic and metal grill.

Thanks
So what I did is simply remove the back plastic panel and left it off and then cut out the metal grill.  I just cut the Grill out of my 7 slot expansion chassis and that made the silenx fan install even quieter.  Obviously you should keep the fingers of people young and old away from this, or you can rig up your own cover using a stand off round wire grill which you can buy at some place like frys.

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2015, 11:02:42 AM »
Note the G4 power supply fan is a challenge as it is in real close proximity to surrounding things so some dismantling and patience is required. I soldered the wire leeds on to the original fan connector Leeds and used shrink wrap over the soldered areas. The big case fan and the CPU fan are not to hard to deal with. To  hold the CPU fan in the rubber holder I just put a wire tie around the whole thing and it works perfect. There is a hole at the back of this holder for what ever reason I plugged this so more air from the outside chassis would be pulled into the case. The big case fan is thermostatic, you can leave it this way or just by pass the thermostat leaving it on, it is so quiet it doesn't matter if it runs all the time at full speed.

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
Kenisington can get the parts (not in stock) 6-8 week leed time. about $6.50 a connector in quantities of 20. $50 minimum order plus shipping

Offline acelera

• Enthusiast Member
  • Drowning in cables
Kenisington can get the parts (not in stock) 6-8 week leed time. about $6.50 a connector in quantities of 20. $50 minimum order plus shipping

I think I have 3 or 4 5 node TDM cables knocking about.... I bought them to sort out a longer cable and ended up finding an 8 node cable on Ebay instead.

Anyone want them cheap?

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
SOLD!!!  ;D ;D

Offline Jakl

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2015, 01:15:13 PM »
Thanks RTInstaller for the excellent description. Will give
this a go on one of my MDD's.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2015, 07:25:17 PM »
do i understadn this right, you cut the metal rost in order to replace the power supply fan from outside without the need of disassembling and dismounting the power supply unit?
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2015, 11:33:35 PM »
I think the 'cut' was an additional measure to further reduce fan noise and not to gain access without psu removal... would also do double duty to trim those pesky long nails that those classical guitar players grow... just slide your fingers into the back of the computer and voila... nails are trimmed!!  ;D

If Jobs was still at Apple he would jump all over RTIInstaller's genius idea... 'iNails'... and market it toward woman... I can see the adds now, picturing a woman typing at a desk with her foot stuck into the tower getting a pedicure! We don't need no stinkin' nail salon!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Sorry people... got into the vodka after my gig!  :o

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2015, 01:01:24 AM »
do i understadn this right, you cut the metal rost in order to replace the power supply fan from outside without the need of disassembling and dismounting the power supply unit?

You can cut out the grill from the outside, but to replace the fan you have to take the whole power supply out and take it apart.  The real noise reduction comes from replacing the factory installed 80mm fan with the Silenx fan. Cutting out the fan grill reduces noise a little bit more, cutting the grill isn't much of a reduction in noise, but it is noticeable