Author Topic: just got a brand new 933 Quicksilver!!  (Read 19125 times)

supernova777

Re: just got a brand new 933 Quicksilver!!
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2014, 05:58:23 AM »
yes this was a joke:D hahahahah LOL!  -afro- 8)  i would just replace the fan with a new 5-10$ one from a pc shop + splce the wires to the apple connector
and id make sure to get one with a cool ass LED white or blue or red glow effect;)

Offline arjen_1

• Gold Member
  • Mac Midi & Audio Aficionado
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 03:10:29 PM »
Yeah yeah....you got me big time.  ::) However contrary to public belief:
http://dontsurfinthenude.blogspot.nl/2013/02/how-to-lubricate-laptop-cpu-fan.html

Something for e.g. Mythbusters? Who dares? ;D

Powermac g4 933mhz quicksilver

Offline MacGuy

• Veteran Member
  • Love MacOS9Lives
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2014, 07:52:44 PM »
Congratulations on your bargain priced purchase.

I have the same model.

I refurbished mine with two internal hard drives, brand new LG burner ( ability to read/record DVD-RAM ), brand new AppleZip drive, midi/audio (in/out including digital audio) card.

I have the pure OS 9 installed/running from an external FireWire hard drive.

It has proven to be a far better PowerPC then the Mirrored Door machines i had.

Not sure about the noise this train makes because poor MR MAGOO can barely see never mind hear. What?

It sure is nice to know that someone at this excellent forum has the same type of machine.

$30.oo ( US $$$ ) ??????????

LC520(my first iMac @ 25 MHz ), 8500/SonnetG4, Performa6360, QuickSilver PowerPC G4 ( 933MHz ), iMac PowerPC G3 500 MHz ,iMac @ 3.06 GHz, AND a plethora of midi/audio/recording gear and software and oh! let's not forget all those acoustical music instruments

supernova777

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2014, 07:48:41 PM »
It sure is nice to know that someone at this excellent forum has the same type of machine.

$30.oo ( US $$$ ) ??????????

canadian $$  im from Toronto Ontario Canada (GTA, Greater Toronto Area)

tomorrow.. i will pick up a blue&white g3 revision 2 450mhz for $25 ;)
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g3/specs/powermac_g3_450_bl.html

finally! ive always wanted this best model blue&white g3
this will be a collectors item that keep i think.. :)

its got a radeon 7000 pci video
1gb ram
and 80gb hard drive
hes also giving me a logitech trackball mouse that matches the g3 colors exactly he said..
i will see;)

more importantly i will be able to test this 66mhz slot with my sata card! to see if this is even possible
to get above 133mb/s thruput.. if it is i can run a g3 powermac with a 60gb sata + get some wickid disk speeds;)

i had the most strange fight with a pentium 4 asus motherboard today..
but in the end i won;) and its now running ubuntu;)
 and it finally stopped freezing. i thought the motherboard + cpu were garbage i was ready to throw
it away. i think it was a bad ram stick + the wrong type of ata IDE cable that was the cause of my problems the whole time
but on top of that there was a iwerd problem with the usb. it wouldn tboot with a usb mouse plugged in.. only if i removed all usb devices on boot would it start properly.. or if i disabled the usb controller... very strange
the board: Asus P5S800-VM...(january 2006) .. im trying out ubuntu server to see the software "RAID 10" implementation:D
for a better backup fileserver for archivng a 2nd copy of my macos9lives files (to keep these things safe!) raid5 on xp on a pentiumIII was a joke;) lol wayyy too slow.. too much overhead for parity data generation.. maybe a pentium4 3.0ghz will do better with 512mb ram.. 

eventually i want to have my fileserver on a mac.. with possibly OSX.. so i can do this "combined raid sets" trick
http://support.apple.com/kb/TA24359 to get mirrored stripes ("raid 10") but for now, untill i get the raid cards i need for powermac g4.. this will have to do;)

« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 08:00:51 PM by chrisNova777 »

Offline MacGuy

• Veteran Member
  • Love MacOS9Lives
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2014, 09:57:20 AM »
Were do you guys find these powerPC's at basement prices ?

Any of these machines I have bought were from Apple dealers or Apple Service centres  from their refurbished bins or trade-in benches. Have not seen any PowerPC's  these days although the older generation intel iMac's are showing up on the trade-in benches.
LC520(my first iMac @ 25 MHz ), 8500/SonnetG4, Performa6360, QuickSilver PowerPC G4 ( 933MHz ), iMac PowerPC G3 500 MHz ,iMac @ 3.06 GHz, AND a plethora of midi/audio/recording gear and software and oh! let's not forget all those acoustical music instruments

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2014, 10:20:50 AM »
Congratulations on your bargain priced purchase.

It has proven to be a far better PowerPC then the Mirrored Door machines i had.

In what things is proven to be far better ?

May I ask You what MDD model do you have?
May be you have the 133 MHz bus model: 867 MHz DP or 1 GHz Single MDD ?
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

supernova777

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2014, 10:22:18 AM »
Were do you guys find these powerPC's at basement prices ?

Any of these machines I have bought were from Apple dealers or Apple Service centres  from their refurbished bins or trade-in benches. Have not seen any PowerPC's  these days although the older generation intel iMac's are showing up on the trade-in benches.

where? craigslist.. Kijiji... any site that people can post ads on.
yea most powerpcs get thrown in the garbage because they are so old probably people think they are completely irrelevant + useless -- which is true -- for *them*... unless u have old software to run on an old machine its pretty much useless.
which, most people dont have.

welll ive just returned with a g3 450mhz.. with 80gb drive + 7000 radeon pci card..
so now i can try to test this 66mhz slot theory;0

Offline arjen_1

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2014, 01:39:11 AM »
yes this was a joke:D hahahahah LOL!  -afro- 8)  i would just replace the fan with a new 5-10$ one from a pc shop + splce the wires to the apple connector
and id make sure to get one with a cool ass LED white or blue or red glow effect;)

Hi,
I took your advice....bought some new fans! First I replaced the case & cpu fan. Unfortunately the really annoying noise came from the psu. Not my favorite part to dismantle...however I found this guide;
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repairing+Power+Mac+G4+Quicksilver+Power+Supply/2053
That helped a lot. I replaced and rewired the PSU fan and removed the PSU finger guard. And...got a -near- silent Quicksilver.
I used <10db NoiseBlocker fans, definitely worth the investment of €17!  ;D

Greetz,
Arjen

supernova777

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2014, 02:10:56 AM »
im lucky the one i got is pretty close to silent already!

Offline MacGuy

• Veteran Member
  • Love MacOS9Lives
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2014, 05:08:18 AM »
Looking for a service/repair manual for the 933 QuickSilver with no luck here.

Would you guys please help me with an url for the manual that would show me how to DIY service/repair this PowerPC G4.

Offline arjen_1

• Gold Member
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2014, 11:52:58 AM »
im lucky the one i got is pretty close to silent already!

You're lucky. I did some research; most of the Quicksilver's are noisy. The quality of the stock fans is very poor.
The one in my PSU was really the cheapest no-brand fan you can imagine. Which imho is a shame for a >2K machine.  ::)

Offline arjen_1

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2014, 11:56:25 AM »
Would you guys please help me with an url for the manual that would show me how to DIY service/repair this PowerPC G4.

Don't know what part you want to fix but maybe you can find it here?

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/Power_Mac_G4_Quicksilver

Offline MacGuy

• Veteran Member
  • Love MacOS9Lives
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2014, 12:44:01 PM »
arjen_1
Don't know what part you want to fix but maybe you can find it here?
http://www.ifixit.com/Device/Power_Mac_G4_Quicksilver

Awesome>>>just the exact type of site for me to gradually learn how to do some very minor repairs/replacements of some parts in my PowerPC without hurting myself in the process.  The guys that always did such repairs/replacements for me have gone on to Mac heaven. Of course the local Apple repair shops have fees and rates beyond my wallet only because it's Apple you know.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2014, 04:48:15 PM »
I can post original service guides for any manuals you guys need... let me know

supernova777

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2014, 05:02:55 AM »
nice one jakl. it looks pretty clean. shame u cant run os 9 on that tho;(

so this is hte machine u got running 9 now right Jakl;)
sweeeet

Offline Jakl

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2014, 06:44:20 AM »
Yes Chris, 1 x dual 1.42 ghz MDD FW800 and 1 x single 1.25ghz MDD FW800 - the third one is a FW400 running with dual 1.42ghz cpu's so no modification. At the moment can only run one at a time - can't really setup anything special with room limitations.