Author Topic: Announcing MacTasks - "To do" list for the classic Mac  (Read 2975 times)

Offline rvense

• Veteran Member
  • Lombard & son
Announcing MacTasks - "To do" list for the classic Mac
« on: August 04, 2023, 02:38:22 PM »
Hello!

It's very much one of those "we chose to do it not because it was easy, but because we thought it would be easy" things. A to do list like this is a half-hour job on any modern platform, this was... extremely not. I don't know if anyone needs it or wants it. Me, I just wanted to make it, but that's no reason not to release it, is it?

Here's the web site with more information and a download link (at the bottom). You might have to right click to save the file.

https://rven.se/mactasks/

I'm calling it beta 1 because it's only ever been run on my G4 tower under 9.2.2, so who knows what happens on other computers (edit - first reports indicate that this only runs on OS9 :().
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 10:08:55 PM by rvense »

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Announcing MacTasks - "To do" list for the classic Mac
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2023, 11:02:34 AM »
Can you "sit" it and post it as an attachment here, download did not work, Thanks :)

Offline rvense

• Veteran Member
  • Lombard & son
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2023, 12:12:39 PM »
It's already a sit.hqx, but I think my server might be handling it wrong. Does it work to right click and save as?

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2023, 01:19:10 PM »
I'll try an old browser, on my modern mac now, but if you post it here as an attachment, then it will be easier for members to try it

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2023, 02:59:27 PM »
"save as" works for me on windows, but indeed .hqx usually opens as text in modern browsers, even on macos.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline V.Yakob

• Enthusiast Member
  • Mac User
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2023, 12:31:46 AM »
"save as" works for me on windows, but indeed .hqx usually opens as text in modern browsers, even on macos.

Hmm
Now without access to Power Mac, but in order not to forget, I downloaded the file via Safari on iOS.
PPC — PM 8100/80, PM 9600/300, PM G3 Minitower (Rev. C), PM G3 B&W (Rev. B), PM G4 Quicksilver (2002), PM G4 MDD (2003), PM G5 (Late 2005).
Intel — Mac mini (mid 2010), iMac 5k (2017), Mac mini (2018).
AppleSilicon — Mac mini (2020), Mac Studio M2 Max + Apple Studio Display.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2023, 06:38:59 PM »
if you have stuffit deluxe installed in either system (windows or later macOS) a hqx file should be associated to that automatically.
the helper app list in browsers is dynamic, too, you only have to disallow "open with browser" once and it will download to downloads folder.

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2023, 09:28:49 AM »
Cool app, I like this, thanks for making and sharing it.

Maybe we should use it and have a collective "Mac OS TODO list":

1. Add G5 support
2. Reach 2GB ceiling
3. Figure out how to boot OS9 in the few G4s that haven't booted into it yet (Looking at you, DLSD)
4. Make an unzipper program to unpack Mac-OS-X-format AppleDouble ZIP files and preferably without losing file meta-data like dates etc..
5. Make a checksum app that gets checksum of files (like the appropriately-named Checksum program, found in the Garden), but one that has no issue with files bigger than 2GB.
6. Fix AFP to work with file transfer beyond 2GB.
7. Hack/Develop more NVidia/ATI GPUs to work with OS 9, either with severe driver hacking and/or writing drivers anew, maybe consult Linux/BSD/MorphOS driver code.
8. Figure out how to compile programs to run as pink tasks instead of blue tasks, which allow for pre-emptive multitasking in the v2 of the nanokernel found in OS 8.6 ~ 9.2.2. (The Finder runs as a "blue task" and all exisiting Mac apps also run that way, from what I understand, for the sake of backwards compatibility. But nothing should stop us from getting and switching out between cooperative multitasking and pre-emptive multitasking "modes" to get the best of both worlds.)
9. Make USB 2.0 drivers and stop getting stuck with USB 1.1.
10. Reverse engineer every single OS 9 library and app with zero regard for copyright law, make it compilable and share it everywhere. Perhaps optimize a few to take advantage of AltiVec and the like.
11. Release an OS 9 package manager.
12. More things I now forgot.

I'm just venting. Mostly.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2023, 02:13:35 PM »
i need a "do list" app which does all the things for me which i wrote into "to do list" lists in simpletext format, etherpad and cryptdrive documents but never actually did them during the last 25 years.

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2023, 09:38:26 AM »
Another item to the list:

13. Reverse-engineering all schematics for all PowerMac and Mac clones ever released, source all parts and locate compatible replacements for components that are replaceable with parts still being manufactured.