Author Topic: How To Create a Software Raid Stripe from 2 IDE Drives under OS9  (Read 7031 times)

supernova777

How To Create a Software Raid Stripe from 2 IDE Drives under OS9

How would this be accomplished? I hve heard of a sofware called "SoftRaid" but i cant find it for download here or at the macintosh garden.

I think this is something of great value to those of us trying to load large samples into memory for ableton / cubase / reason etc

please, lets get this information up here so that everyone can benefit!

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: How To Create a Software Raid Stripe from 2 IDE Drives under OS9
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 02:39:08 AM »
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/conley-soft-raid
There it seems to be raid garden.You even comented on that topic last year!  ;)
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 02:45:30 AM »
Some Daws do not want raid of any kind. Protools only wants local drives. Maybe logic, sampletank, halion, cubase or kontakt can benefit with a raid, but Protools not.

It seems perfect for samplers and romplers, but not everyone support it.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

supernova777

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 03:01:27 AM »

ahhh.. me love RAID garden..:) hahaha

yes i commented, but i didnt get this program to work, and i dont have experience with this working
i know that mactron mentioned he used 2 ssd's to create a stripe with a firmtek sata adapter recently...

is this the most recent version of softraid? i dont think so?

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 04:33:51 AM »

ahhh.. me love RAID garden..:) hahaha

I LOVE Soundgarden and Macintosh Garden too!  ;D :D ;D

yes i commented, but i didnt get this program to work, and i dont have experience with this working
i know that mactron mentioned he used 2 ssd's to create a stripe with a firmtek sata adapter recently...
is this the most recent version of softraid? i dont think so?

This one is at our reach NOW.
Probably the best is to use a sata port replicator with ide converters and the OS9 raid would be hardware raid, with up to four more disk
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

supernova777

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 10:34:04 AM »
anyways guys, can we get a howto going in this thread for those interested in creating a raid stripe with no special hardware? software only..
im asking for people with experience with this softraid to share their experience.. what is stable. what version works well... how its done.. thanks

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 11:12:43 AM »
The version of "SoftRaid" posted in Macintosh Garden is the same I have used (v 2.2.2) and is the only version of "SoftRaid" that works on mac OS 9.2.
But RAID on IDE (PATA) isn't so easy as is on SCSI or SATA, (forget about Master/Slave Raid -as you know for sure-) , you'll probably will need at least one PCI IDE (PATA)  controler card... AFAIK
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

supernova777

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 03:26:11 PM »
i have two PCI IDE controller cards by ACARD
1xAEC-6885M (64bit/66mhz) 4 IDE ports (supporting 1 drive per port, so 4 in total)
1xAEC-6880M (32bit/33mhz) 2 IDE ports (supporting 2 drives per port, so 4 in total)

ive just seen here there is two firmware updates for this 6880M card (dated 2005)
including one that claims  "RAID 1 New Function!! Open Firmware for Macintosh.Fix greater than 8MB chunk I/O transfer. "
so i assume its a tweak for better stripe performance... re: the raid stripe settings..
http://www.driverstock.com/Acard-AEC-6880M-driver-download/3-11-774/index.html

like i mentioned in another thread (http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=803.msg3112#msg3112)
the box of this 6885M card claims to do 120MB/Sec+ read & 90m/sec+ write with 4 drives in raid1 stripe

im actually about to test the 32bit short 6880M to see if it will work in a win98 pc
because windows 98 apparently doesnt like to use Sata drives? so im trying to find a similar solution
for fastloading of samples on this ultimate win98 box i have built ;)
  (dont hate ;P ... LOL!)
*** confirmed that the aec6880M (mac version) functions under win98se with the normal aec6880 drivers

also re: protools + raid im pretty sure if u use a ide hardware raid controller this will fool ProTools and it will allow u to record on it just fine
i remember reading something about this somewhere.. saying that this is possible with these Acard controllers that do the striping + mirroring at hardware level
even tho digidesign "did not reccommend" at the time,i believe this was only due to poor performance of the actual drives themselves + raid controllers of the time.. (1999-2002)

« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 05:09:46 PM by chrisNova777 »

supernova777

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 03:49:25 PM »
But RAID on IDE (PATA) isn't so easy as is on SCSI or SATA, (forget about Master/Slave Raid -as you know for sure-)

no i dont know for sure! thats why im talking about it here;) for us all to see + refer to in the future;)

are u sure u couldnt use master/slave? striped as one? even in an mdd on ATA-100 bus?
of course master+master may be best for performance but master/slave could work?? couldnt it?

supernova777

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 01:48:48 PM »
so noone has done this? created a software raid from 2 ide drives under os 9?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 02:39:32 AM by chrisNova777 »

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 03:15:05 AM »
so noone has done this? created a software raid from 2 ide drives under os 9?

https://www.macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17362
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4