Author Topic: Will an EVO 860 work with OS 9.2.2?  (Read 8546 times)

Online IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Will an EVO 860 work with OS 9.2.2?
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2020, 12:45:28 PM »
what is the point of connecting IDE disks to an SATA card? just wondering. the main point of SATA is that you can use bigger drives...
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
EVO 860
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2020, 10:26:54 AM »
Per recent PMs with (S)ATAman, he was testing with 840 and 860 prior to COVID-19 and hopes to return to that work after his recovery.
He seems to think that the EVO 860 might also be good for use AFTER a bit more R&D.

“I am using 1TB 840 EVO now, connected to 3114 in G4MDD.
The first goal - as usual - is to update the "X" driver. I do not see, why it wouldn't work in "9".
I want to finish that "X" driver ASAP, I had it working, it's something incorrect there again, looking at that.

The speeds of 3114 in G4 aren't great and it is not a surprise. The reads on a single channel top at 95 MB/Sec, the writes at 62 MB/Sec.

I have the SIM for 3114 and FCode, too - but can't work on everything the same time.

So I would say "yes", I expect it ultimately working.

The speeds of all derivates of SImage / CMD 680 PATA controller won't be great, but that's how the internal works of that controller are and besides, this is the controller with the quickest way to have a complete thing.

The PATA 680, 3112, 3512, 3114 chips are almost the same, the difference is the number of ports, the interface and hot-swap capabilities (PATA, SATA) and not much else. I noticed, some 3114 (SIIG) have Micrel regulator, they should "sleep" on the Quicksilver and D/A.”

Many thanks to (S)ATAman and well wishes from us all for his complete and speedy recovery!
(AND "hats off" to MacTron and to Torvan as well!)

Offline torvan

• Veteran Member
  • Old School
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2020, 10:47:03 PM »
In my MDD 2003 (1.25 Ghz, 2GB RAM) model, I have a Crucial MX300 SSD 500GB on the top connector of my Sonnet Tempo PCI SATA adapter which houses OS9. In the second one, an HGST 1 TB spinning SATA drive rescued from a dead 13" MacBook Pro (logic board failed right with the video board) which has Leopard.

On my Quicksilver 2002 Dual 1.0, 2GB RAM model, I have a 1 TB Crucial MX500 and a 500 GB Samsung EVO 840 also on a Sonnet Tempo SATA controller.  The first has Leopard, the second OS9.

While I know the SATA "shootouts" put the Firmtek model in first, I got these on a fire sale at $40 each. It was from a going out of business sale 4 years ago from a local Mac store that Apple more or less forced out of business thanks to their own stores.

I have to say the Crucial runs just as nice as the EVO 840 from my usage, but of course I am not a pro audio person, just an average geek enjoying monkeying around with classic hardware.

15 Macs (13 of them ranging from an SE to a MDD), 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Hackintosh. Small house getting smaller with each Mac. . . . .  .Husband shakes his head but supports my habit.

Offline wnlewis

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2020, 04:40:38 PM »
what is the point of connecting IDE disks to an SATA card? just wondering. the main point of SATA is that you can use bigger drives...

The IDE bus on a Sawtooth G4 is slower than the PCI bus. So, in addition to getting past the LBA restrictions of the IDE bus, the PCI bus is faster.

Offline (S)ATAman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2020, 11:35:31 AM »

The IDE bus on a Sawtooth G4 is slower than the PCI bus. So, in addition to getting past the LBA restrictions of the IDE bus, the PCI bus is faster.

It's not really, with a good trick: you have to set the Intel bridge back and forth, but only one card will be usable that way.
I am quite sure, a Marvell 6042 PCI-X card with that trick will be faster, but the 3124.
I am using it with all drivers, including the 3124.
No data as I will be happy to kill the stupid bug I introduced to the 3114 recently.
3114 is simpler because I have the FCode and OS-9 code, too. Just need to update.

The f***ng virus did not help either, sorry. Saying that COVID-19 is a major pain in the ass is an understatement.

Online IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2020, 02:09:42 PM »
The IDE bus on a Sawtooth G4 is slower than the PCI bus

yeah see that is the part i missed. i assumed everyone has the same computer as i do (ATA 100). :)

for ATA 66 there are indeed IDE disks which can be faster than the bus.

for me personally it is only about the storage plus in my quicksilver. in an MDD i would use the 4 ATA ports to connect SATA stuff and ignore the 30% speed difference compared to a PCI card.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Roman323

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2020, 04:00:29 PM »
I think Covid-19 has been a pain in the ass for a majority of us  :(

Offline XinSheng

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2020, 11:13:04 PM »
My 860 EVO 1TB drive works in my 1.42DP PMG4 running unsupported hardware 9.2.2. Used the StarTech adaptor.

Made a 120GB compatible partition on the drive. It already had High Sierra installed from using with my 2010 white MacBook. Installed the custom OS 9.2.2. Haven't really done much with it, except to boot to see if it loads up. 

Offline (S)ATAman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2020, 12:29:31 PM »
I think Covid-19 has been a pain in the ass for a majority of us  :(

Дякую тобі - for me it was more, than a pain in the ass - it was a royal pain in the lungs and soon-to-be three months of being knocked down.
So things progress far slower, than anticipated.

The worst part of it besides of the scare and pain is that the code written while ill turned out to be very bad.
My employer told me not to write any code: the time wasted by cleaning it up later is more effort, than the buggy code!

My supervisor in the States was knocked down for three months.
A friend of mine in BY and his wife were knocked down for a shorter period of time - but the entire family, included the parents of his wife became ill and grandpa landed up in the hospital.

So it's not a joke - people can get knocked down for many weeks and their productivity is at best nothing.
Imagine this on a global scale and let's not even talk about fatal cases - it is very devastating.

Continuing the work regardless, I can do my job since probably a week. Today is a SAS day, than turning to SATA again while SAS is tested.
Had weekends 7/24 in last three months, time to catch up.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 12:39:44 PM by (S)ATAman »