Author Topic: QS with MDD DP CPU? is it possible? has anyone done it?  (Read 808 times)

Offline Ncc74656

• Valued Member
QS with MDD DP CPU? is it possible? has anyone done it?
« on: December 10, 2023, 01:56:51 PM »
QS 933 is a 7455 PPC. same as the 1.25 DP on MDD.  the bus is different by only 66mhz apart. can the QS bus be clocked up to the MDD?

assuming that - teh cpu socket on the daughter board looks the same, is pinout the same? the DP QS uses 7450 cpu's so?

if so, power requirements? does the MB have sufficient power or would external input be required?

then mounting - some printed adapters could move screw holes around easy enough. would need to jumper a ground to a screw hole if none line up but apart from that?

whats the viability here?

my 933 is at 1.25 right now (oc), a dp 1.25 board for MDD is 40 bucks on ebay.  just thinking

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
Re: QS with MDD DP CPU? is it possible? has anyone done it?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2023, 03:43:23 AM »
All G4's CPU's are interchangable, from Sawtooth to Quicksilver, except with the the MDD. The only Apple made CPU daughter card the PowerMac G4 MDD can use is from the Xserve G4.The MDD's and Xserve's differ from the earlier ones both in form factor and in pinout, despite using the same kind of motherboard connector.

So using a MDD CPU card is not possible, at least not as a plug and play replacement.
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline Ncc74656

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 10:04:57 PM »
i figured it wouldnt be plug and play.  ive tried to look up pinouts online. as far as i can thell they use the same forum factor?

i was thinking if a QS FSB could be OC'd to the MDD - and if the pinouts are the same. then all that would be needed (aside from firmware) is power support.

when skimming the firmware releases it looked as if the MDD/QS 02+ might have the same coding to a point?

i was thinking it would be cool to have a dual CPU in my QS but im not going to pay 1200.00 which is list price on some of those after market cards.  IF there is a chance id rather PCBway some proto boards and do some hotplate soldering

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2023, 01:28:47 PM »
yep, different socket.

but dont worry, for the quicksilvers there are better upgrade options than for MDD CPUs. :)
insert arbitrary signature here