Author Topic: What's the best way to acquire a cheap iMac G3?  (Read 12296 times)

Offline Ari

What's the best way to acquire a cheap iMac G3?
« on: November 30, 2012, 05:58:28 PM »
I've always wanted an iMac G3, and with the acquisition of a free Mac Mini I think I want to get a slot-loading BlueBerry or Ruby iMac. On eBay, they're ridiculously expensive, and there's okay prices on CraigsList but they're all too far away from me :(. Any ideas on a cheap way to pick up an iMac G3?

I live in Chicago, by the way.

Offline Charliemac

• Newcomer
Re: What's the best way to acquire a cheap iMac G3?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 05:54:14 AM »
Just keep a look out really. Prices seem to be on the rise at the moment, however that said, I just picked up a job lot of four 'may or may not be working G3 iMacs', just a month ago.

Three worked with new batteries, (Snow, Lime, Blueberry, all firewire slot loaders), the last one (no firewire), booted a couple of times but the display died. I have a replacement display so will transplant it one of these days.

Gave

Offline MisterKeeks

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 02:15:54 PM »
Pretty much what Charlie said. I just got a Graphite off Craigslist for $10, but I had to wait for 6 months before I found one.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 04:23:20 PM »
Call your local recycler... you can usually pickup a CRT based iMac G3 for $10 to $20 Fully Working.... Super Easy upgrade by replacing the PATA Hard drive with a quiet 120GB Seagate or WD and Upgraded RAM while your at it to at least 512MB.

If you can afford and find an iMac G4 "Lampshade" LCD Model (2002 800 MHz. or Less) you will own a Mac OS 9 rocket !

Offline Ari

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 05:50:34 PM »
Call your local recycler... you can usually pickup a CRT based iMac G3 for $10 to $20 Fully Working.... Super Easy upgrade by replacing the PATA Hard drive with a quiet 120GB Seagate or WD and Upgraded RAM while your at it to at least 512MB.

If you can afford and find an iMac G4 "Lampshade" LCD Model (2002 800 MHz. or Less) you will own a Mac OS 9 rocket !

Thanks! I now have a list of recycling centers near me. Here's the URL:

http://www.dupageco.org/EDP/Waste_Recycling_and_Energy/1549/

I've never attempted to pick a computer up from an electronics recycling center before. Do I just stop by there and pick one up? Also, which centers look like the best?

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 10:07:12 PM »
They all operate differently...call them first to see if they sell directly to individuals, via eBay, or if they have some incredible auction, etc. 

Also, you can ask them when and where is there next collection event; I have bought many macs in the past by scoping out a "big" recycling event and asking people before they give it away for free, "Hey you want $10 bucks for that....my kid can still use that old iMac" and Voila... they hand you a good machine for the price of 2 happy meals.

Offline Ari

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 07:22:55 PM »
They all operate differently...call them first to see if they sell directly to individuals, via eBay, or if they have some incredible auction, etc. 

Also, you can ask them when and where is there next collection event; I have bought many macs in the past by scoping out a "big" recycling event and asking people before they give it away for free, "Hey you want $10 bucks for that....my kid can still use that old iMac" and Voila... they hand you a good machine for the price of 2 happy meals.
:O I'm going to do that.

Offline Charliemac

• Newcomer
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 03:30:39 PM »
Woo hoo!

Just bagged a boxed immaculate Flower Power for

Offline doc_retro

• Newcomer
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 05:23:58 AM »
Ari,
    You've been given some good advice.  Cheap, as in $10-20, iMacs exist and can be found.  I live in mid-Michigan, too far to be of help,but I am the volunteer IT support for my wife's parochial school and we still have a few of these.  As newer computers enter the lab,the old lab computers displace the remaining G3/G4s in the classroom, and I sell or give them away. (Funds are returned to the school.)
    Like I say, too far to be of use to you, but I offer this as an example.  There may be schools with these to give away or sell, cheap.  College salvage yards are also a possibility.  I've had good luck there, as well.
   I wish you well - you'll be surprised at how readily you'll get one of these, perhaps without even having to pay for it.  Happy computing!
-Doc_Retro

supernova777

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 10:35:43 AM »
are you guys using these imacs for midi?
i think only the imac 233 thru 333mhz models are compatible with the (near impossible to find now) stealth port mod for imacs
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 06:09:29 PM by chrisNova777 »

supernova777

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 04:18:51 PM »
i just saw a few of these in a local shop for 30$ each covered in dust with boxes piled on top of them..
2 x imac DV blue - u can get one of these for almost free