Author Topic: Reason, Native Instruments, & others are really trying to kill off leagacy stuff  (Read 1261 times)

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Wow, same old story...

1) Cloned hard drives are invaluable (but of no use if your logic board dies and your specific DAW un-activates)
2) Period internet checking only works if they keep their legacy servers up.

[youtube]YAx3yCNomkg&t[/youtube]

So as we have discussed many times, the powers that be... Reason Studios, NI, Adobe, and countless others have created a world where many software titles will be very rare indeed in the wild due to the killing off of activation servers/methods.

Obviously our OS9 stuff is gold, but we should also start a list of Mac OS X legacy software that can still be activated and needs no internet activation.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
which is why cracks are made particular for legit users.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline rvense

• Veteran Member
  • Lombard & son
Conversely:

I have recently downloaded (from ableton.com) and activated Ableton Live 8 on my PPC/Tiger Mac (with the legit license I have from when it was current). They state that older versions are not available for sale.

I have also considered getting a Max/MSP license for my older systems. They provide downloads for older versions, and customer support claimed that they allow new license holders to authorize any older version. (I haven't actually tried it, though.)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
that´s true, you can still activate max 3.x from 1996 whe you bought it back in the days (and eventually also when not)
it simply does not hurt to keep an old computer somewhere which can do the pace response trickery and reply to an email. plus those users of legacy versions are not only your customers from yesterday, they are also your customers from tormorrow, isnt it?

another positive example is tc works, who supported license generation for more than six sears during the liquidation process of the company, including cards bought second hand, and including the free license for the X3.
(well, it was a one man decision, but that does not make a difference for the user)

some others put their older stuff online for free when they had no idea to support it any longer, which of course is not possible so easily for anyone, mainly because of copyprotection modes but also because of third party rights.

the list of negative examples is longer.

Offline coachla

• Veteran Member
which is why cracks are made particular for legit users.

Precisely. And Diehard is right. Just more landlords populating the earth.

I'm presently in a vulgar dispute with NI simply to demean them with no other outcome expected. I told these goddam sonsofbitches they should be ashamed to call themselves Germans whilst they lie to their customers who are stupid enough to believe them...No More, you bastards. I'm not ashamed to call myself a New Yorker, and some will probably quit their jobs by the time I get finished raking them over. 15-20 years ago I had very good communications with the guys in Berlin. At that time they had a phone contact in L.A. with a very helpful tech. They always ran me the offline authorizations promptly.

Not being great innovators, they bought up Absynth, FM7, Pro-58 which were all shareware programs. Reaktor is a poorly written program but does amazing things if you want to waste your precious time ignoring music.. The only reason Kontakt became popular is that so many people got locked into scripting it. Empty of ideas they've been selling bubble gum for quite awhile.

Many attempts to get beyond some knucklehead that keeps trying to push me aside, I keep opening tickets to badger them.

-----

Andreas (Native Instruments)
Nov 25, 2023, 10:24 GMT+1

Thank you for contacting Native Instruments!

Please note that you are inquiring about a product that was discontinued several years ago. This product has never been tested on a current operating system and we cannot recommend using it in a contemporary configuration.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.
Best regards,
Andreas
-----

Here is my latest prelude to verbal whipping if this guy will ever reply to me. He''s probably hiding under his desk at this point. The supposed CEO.

To: Constantin Köhncke
       Robert Linke

You have multiple  legal obligations. I suggest you have your legal department consider what might happen. A lot of people have been affected.

You did not try to accommodate me with Kontakt 1 and Reaktor 4.

Moreover, Native Instruments promised in writing it's obligation to provide a permanent unlocked Kontakt 1 to a user in the event NI could not provide authorization. Attached, as previously, is proof of that statement.

"Should Native Instruments for whatever reason no longer be able to fulfill its obligations to deliver the authorization key it will provide the Licensee with a key which ensures the continued use of the software independent of changes of the computer."

My attorneys are considering the matter now.

-----

I have a hardware system which makes their pipsqueak stuff laughable.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2023, 11:16:15 PM by coachla »

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
that´s the point.

even if they might win if it comes to a legal fight over it, they at least pretend to give you a permanent license.

of course most things get lost because of OS upgrades (not part of the contract) or insolvency (no opponent, no claim).
but what do most companies do? they "discontinue" the support arbitrarily.

and the earlier they disontinue the supprt for older products, the more it is a safe bet that the same companies ar also the ones who offer 64-bit updates the last.^^

those who do not care about the past do not care about the future.

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
"Should Native Instruments for whatever reason no longer be able to fulfill its obligations to deliver the authorization key it will provide the Licensee with a key which ensures the continued use of the software independent of changes of the computer."

Ha ha ha. Apparently, nobody at NI reads their own small print.

This looks like a sure case to me. A letter by a lawyer should be sufficient. Someone in Germany shall do the same - Germans love to sue each other and are champions at that.
I suggest you post this info to Gearsluts, err Gearspace. And, btw, they still have an address in LA:

NI LOCATIONS

Native Instruments North America, Inc.
6725 Sunset Boulevard
5th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90028
USA

Native Instruments GmbH
Schlesische Straße 29-30
10997 Berlin,
Germany
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member

Wow, that is amazing, I thought I read every NI agreement and I can tell you they ripped that out of everything from Komplete 5 and up (cause that's my oldest version) and I have NEVER seen that verb-age. 

I have a DVD set of Komplete 7 and HD of Komplete 8 and I was literally going to throw them in the trash because I don't think they can be activated at this point (even on an older machine).  I am not the only one that has given up on NI, my eBay listing got no bites at $29, I thought someone needed the media.

My listing On eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/134136829191

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
I have a DVD set of Komplete 7 and HD of Komplete 8 and I was literally going to throw them in the trash because I don't think they can be activated at this point (even on an older machine).

Don't do it. You might need them for installation. And, I've seen fixes for v7 out in the wild. ;)
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline coachla

• Veteran Member
They have an address, but no phone tech which is what I was referring to.

They offered to manually authorize my stuff on 10.5, 10.6 and 10.9. However, NOT OS 9!  I have everything SuperDupered for OSX. I'm not really  interested in all of it, just Kontakt and Reaktor if anything. Best find the appropriate k'd of what you need is my point of view now.

My big bitch is the lying robotic attitude. I don't need them, nor want their insidious invasion of my personal space.

I suggest starting up a ticket and tell them you want authorizations. But what they expect you to do... It''s nuts....