Author Topic: G4 OS9.0 ext startup problems + delete personal data/software prior to sale  (Read 667 times)

Offline RobotLogos

• Newcomer
I am not Mac OS literate - first mistake - and started to clean up my old Powermac G4 400Mz OS9.0 to get it ready for sale.

In the process, I have stuffed up the startup and now it will only startup with extensions off.

I want it to start without extensions off, but REALLY my mission is to have the machine with OS9 installed and ready for someone to use it as their own data and software on it.

I have the original CDs for software installation.

Thanks in advance for any tips on how to proceed.

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
1. Start it up with extensions off… and push in the installer CD to see if it will mount. If not, go to approach #2. BUT, if it does mount the CD on the desktop… then go to the Apple Menu, drag down to Control Panels / Startup Disk and select the Installer disc icon - IF it mounted and is available to boot from. Then restart. Follow the on screen directions from there… when it reboots from the Installer disc.

OR 2. Have your first installer disc (how many installer discs do you have?) ready to push into the machine as it powers up. Hold down the “c” key immediately (way before it boots completely).

It should boot from the installer disc and you can clean install the OS all over again, fresh.

OR 3.
If that doesn’t work with the “c” key, try it again holding down the option key WITH the installer disc still inside the machine (or push it in until it stays, while holding down the option key).

You should then arrive at a screen that gives you a choice of which boot source you would like - the internal HD already present inside, or the installer disc. Guess which one you should choose?

OR 4. If none of the above works for you, then sell it to someone that wants it and it’s most likely that they can accomplish this clean install of your OS as you watch… and in doing so with your Installer disc, they will eradicate all of your personal keystrokes, data, etc.

OR 5. Remove the internal hard drive (keep it to yourself) and sell it without a HD.
Most buyers of such machines will likely install a new SSD anyway and having the original installer discs is definitely a plus. ;)

But it would be best that you could show buyers that it boots... before removing your HD.

Offline RobotLogos

• Newcomer
Thank you so much for the options. Option 2 was the winner.