Author Topic: Formatting my FW/USB external HD  (Read 12435 times)

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
Re: Formatting my FW/USB external HD
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2016, 09:06:38 AM »
Yeah, Philgood, that Silverlining would be great! I already got a Silverlining 6.4.9 with the best resoults but still a lot of problems.

So your much newer version could help me a lot.

What I did in the meantime seems to become a crusade, ...

Short story: I installed all the hfs packages at the Ubuntu Linux machine. It can now use and partition hfs and hfs+ but as far as I read not OS 9 compatible, just X! It is still not working.

The next huge problem is again Apple: their paternalism goes as far that you cannot install the 9 drivers at hfs+ volumes easily. I am a X noob, and there was no checkbox for the 9 drivers in X. So I didnĀ“t think about them. And they are not there as the G5 with 10.4.11 cannot boot 9, so Apple lets the checkbox for 9 drives dissapeare. At the G4 which could boot 9, a 10.5.8 is installed at the one HD, and that has also no 9 drivers for hfs+ anymore, ... great!

The next things where many tests with HDST, and they create "strange" partitions. If you do two FAT 32 ones, and check the partition layout in gparted at Linux subsequently, it is a partition with empty space at the beginning, another "secondary partition", that contains 2 further FAT32 partitions and an empty partition at the end again (few MBs). If you partition both partitions with hfs+ in HDST the Linux machine can now read and write to/from them correctly, but gparted tells it is a unused empty space without partitions, ...

Silverlining 6.4.9 was the first program that was able to create one FAT 32 partition and one hfs+ correctly for Mac OS 9. But then the 10.4. only sees the first partition, no matter if it is FAT 32 or hfs+ - just the first one, ...

Stay tuned ;)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 04:22:04 PM by Mat »

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2016, 02:13:54 PM »
I just need more free time but will look into to make it available to you and everyone as it seems it is the last version of that program.
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2016, 06:32:24 AM »
I attached the folder from the CD.
Please let me know if it worked for you!
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2016, 10:33:33 AM »
Thanks! That silverlining 6.5.9 works well, and I also belive that is is the latest version, as it is from 2007.

But it still does not work with my HD. If I partition the HD one FAT 32 and one HFS+ partition, Mac OS 9 does not mount both partitions after the next reboot, ...

Hmm, ...

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2016, 11:24:00 AM »
Damn...

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2016, 09:27:58 AM »
It is still not working.

Recently I belive I have one of the following 2 problems (or both?):

-) Either an hardware issue, concerining the HD or the controller of the enclosure
-) a Mac OS 9 FW driver problem

I tried so many possibilities and non of the worked. What makes me thinking the above are two behaviors.The first one was that I could boot the G4 from the 10.4 DVD and got the "Install Mac OS 9 divers" checkbox. So I formatted the HD and it mounted fine in X, but at 9 just the first partition is there. The other one was that if I format the HD with the latest Silverlining at Mac OS 9, both partitions mount directly at the 9 desktop, but after a reboot only the first partition gets mounted. And I cannot mount it manually as well (from Silverlining or whatever). BUT the Linux machine can still access that 2nd HFS+ partition, ...

It is so frustrating!

The enclosure is said to work with 8.6 and up, and I was after it for more than 2 years, as it is EOL, and now such silly problems, ... And remember as long as I use 1 partition, there are no problems at all!

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
  • i did my time on mac os 9
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2016, 05:59:39 PM »
update your fw extension with the one from 9.1+ (into your 8.6 install) and it will work - i just read another thread here that stated that very clearly. the firewire errors were publically published by apple during that time (shortly after 8.6 was released). it was common knowledge aaround the time of these devices becoming more available for purchase (circa 2000-2001?) the firewire fix is still published on a few different mac drive archives still found online, downloadable in its originall .smi.bin or .hqx format

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,1893.msg10361.html#msg10361

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2016, 06:53:38 PM »
Thanks geforceg4, but thats a missunderstanding. I tried everything I wrote above with 9.2.2 at a G4. Just the enclosure states that it works from 8.6 onwards, or at some other sources with 9.1 and up. Its that one: https://www.i-tec-europe.eu/?t=3&v=83