Author Topic: Installing OS9 via Target Disk Mode?  (Read 1639 times)

Offline gryffinwings

• Newcomer
Installing OS9 via Target Disk Mode?
« on: August 19, 2023, 09:04:15 PM »
Is it possible to install Mac OS 9 using Target Disk Mode via Firewire 400? From what I can tell, I seem to have a failing optical slot drive, because it never can get the install done correctly, even though that same disk worked for my Power Mac G4 Quicksilver.

Thoughts?

If it is possible, please share, I am having trouble finding the procedure.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: Installing OS9 via Target Disk Mode?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2023, 10:00:24 PM »
You can't find the procedure because there is no official procedure. An actual installer has to run on the same machine it's installing into.

That's so it can identify the machine, determine if the install package is suitable for it and if it is, tailor the parts to that machine's configuration.
You can unofficially connect your target machine (which although you didn't say, I'm guessing is a G4 Powerbook) via FW in Target Mode and:

1) Simply drag a working OS9 System Folder - all of it including the Finder, apps etc. - over to the PBook
2) Bless the System by dragging the System and Finder out of the System Folder onto the top/root level of the drive, then return them
3) Shut down Target Mode properly by dragging the drive icon on the QS source machine to the trash then powering down the PBook.

That should allow the Book to boot into OS9. However, there will be issues. For example, say you drag the Quicksilver System to the PBook. The PBook has a trackpad that the QS doesn't so the trackpad Control Panel will likely NOT be enabled. That means the pad will probably work but it may be very slow, the clicks may be different that you would like etc. You will be able to plug in a mouse however since that will have been on in the QS. You will have to reset the display too. All things not determined by an installer you didn't run will have to be set manually. You'll have to use Extensions Manager or drag stuff back and forth between enabled / disabled Extensions and Control Panels.

Not to worry, it sounds harder that it is. It is tedious though. By the time you're done, you'll have a new appreciation for just what an installer app does.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2023, 03:56:35 AM »
as gary says, you can just drag an existing OS9 folder from one machine to another, and this also works across a network or by duplicating disks or whatever.

not sure if getting the OS9 folder on the new machine to show up as "blessed" (= can be identified as bootable), but if no other system is on the machine it might work without that; just boot holding alt at startup.

but... for powerbooks and some imacs and emacs (or between single and dual processor machines for that matter) there are minor differences in the OS9 install, so the install used should be as close as possible to the original which once came with the computer.

note that we also have a mac os 9 ->netboot software somewhere here, which can do kind of the opposite as alt-T booting.

the alternatives is to remotely install an OSX first - or getting an external CD drive for a few dollars.

or, when i think about it, depending on thge model you could also use an USB stick with the (matching) system installed. stick must be HFS+/APM, and <8gb.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2023, 04:28:12 AM »
Is it possible to install Mac OS 9 using Target Disk Mode via Firewire 400?

It is possible and easy. As GaryN said some first start problems can come, but it is not real problem, because there is all Mac OS 9 files installed, you have to only go to extension manager and set to use some extensions if needed. And older machines without Firewire 400 you can use SCSI port in same way.

Offline gryffinwings

• Newcomer
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2023, 10:19:54 AM »
Hi guys, I ended up finding a much simpler solution to the problem. I got inspiration from a youtube video that I was watching, who was also having issues.

The Solution:
1. Put G3 iMac in Target Disk Mode
2. Have it connected via FW400 to the Power Mac G4 Quicksilver that has Mac OS9.2.2 installed. (I do not know if this will work with Mac OSX)
3. Place the known working MacOS9Lives! cd in the working Power Mac G4 Quicksilver optical drive.
4. Initialize the G3 iMac hard drive from the Power Mac G4.
5. Commence installation via the MacOS9Lives! cd.
6. Once complete, you can eject the G3 iMac from the Power Mac G4 and restart.
7. Congrats, you should have Mac OS9 installed.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2023, 01:36:19 PM »
Well, yes that certainly works as well. I suspect you'll still have a bunch of tweaking to do however.

Holler back when the dust clears and report how it goes.

Offline gryffinwings

• Newcomer
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2023, 01:56:48 PM »
Well, yes that certainly works as well. I suspect you'll still have a bunch of tweaking to do however.

Holler back when the dust clears and report how it goes.

So far, it boots and works fine, however, I'm not sure what to do from here in terms of tweaking.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2023, 02:51:06 PM »
Gary is referring to the issues that may arise from the extension set being different since the install "thought" you were installing to a quicksilver... yes, you can simply "drag" OS 9 from one machine to another, but you may have to identify things like which video extensions to keep active and which ones to "turn off" by unchecking.  More info is here...

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2765.0.html

Offline gryffinwings

• Newcomer
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2023, 05:04:42 PM »
Gary is referring to the issues that may arise from the extension set being different since the install "thought" you were installing to a quicksilver... yes, you can simply "drag" OS 9 from one machine to another, but you may have to identify things like which video extensions to keep active and which ones to "turn off" by unchecking.  More info is here...

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2765.0.html

Thanks, I've completed the check list there, which made sense to me, and it seems to boot faster now, which is nice. Now the only thing I seem to have an issue with right now is that the volume, mute, and eject buttons are not working, what's going on with that?

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2023, 02:48:54 PM »
Thanks, I've completed the check list there, which made sense to me, and it seems to boot faster now, which is nice. Now the only thing I seem to have an issue with right now is that the volume, mute, and eject buttons are not working, what's going on with that?
These are just more of the issues I was talking about that will need "tweaking".

First however, I suggest that you please delete the new thread you started "Volume Control and Eject Button not working on A1048 Keyboard".
It's a confusing rabbit hole for anyone who hasn't read / been involved in this thread so far.

You're using a keyboard that was released sometime after the release of the last OS9: OS 9.2.2
The volume up/down and eject keys have no OS9 drivers. This problem exists with all later Apple keyboards and you need to work around it.

In the "Apple Extras" Folder there should be a subfolder labeled "Eject Extras". It contains a tiny app that goes into the Apple menu to operate the eject. You can eject a CD by simply clicking it AND (this is the fun part) you can use the Keyboard Control Panel to assign the app to the Eject key on the keyboard. It won't be labeled as such but will be "seen" as F12 or F13 or thereabouts. There is also an Eject Control Strip module "Eject Strip" you can add to the Control Strip.

As far as "Volume Up/Down"…… basically you're screwed. There's no simple way to activate those keys in OS9.
There is a volume / balance Control Strip module. It's the simplest way to get easy access to the audio levels.

Offline zefrenchtoon

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2023, 06:02:06 AM »
I had a different problem with my Mini but my solution should work as well for you AND you will have a good install of OS 9 for your Mac.
Here are the steps:
  • Boot your iMac in target mode
  • Connect it to your G4
  • Using your G4, erase the iMac drive
  • Copy absolutely all the content of the install CD on the iMac drive (be careful of hidden files)
  • Bless the System folder on the iMac drive
  • Eject iMac drive from G4
  • Reboot the iMac, it should boot as if you inserted the CD (with its specific background image)
  • Let’s install OS9 on the iMac BUT during installation configuration, don’t forget the ask for a « special install » which will create a brand new System folder with all that is needed for your Mac
Once it is done, you can delete all garbage that comes initially from the install CD (you can use Labels before install to help you identify them)