Author Topic: Troubles with Sonnet Encore/ST 2*1,8Ghz  (Read 18245 times)

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
Re: Troubles with Sonnet Encore/ST 2*1,8Ghz
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2016, 08:58:34 AM »
  I can confirm, as I reported elsewhere on this forum, that this file works correctly on MDD FW800 with Sonnet MDX dual 1.8 and OS 9.  It's a very speedy arrangement.  I really think it would be helpful to get this file added into the Universal 9.2.2 disc image, at least in another folder with a SimpleText note about it.  I had to attach my boot drive to another computer in order to work around the default version causing an unavoidable freeze, not to mention a separate headache related to the base ATI drivers not being up to date enough while also having the Rage driver present by default causing yet another unexpected freeze with my Radeon card.

It would be nice to know what's really going on inside these CPU Plugin files.  I'm curious if there would be anything to gain from deciphering what was patched and applying that to a later version of the file.  Does anyone here know how to disassemble and interpret that file?

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2016, 02:32:32 PM »
  I can confirm, as I reported elsewhere on this forum, that this file works correctly on MDD FW800 with Sonnet MDX dual 1.8 and OS 9.  It's a very speedy arrangement.  I really think it would be helpful to get this file added into the Universal 9.2.2 disc image, at least in another folder with a SimpleText note about it.  I had to attach my boot drive to another computer in order to work around the default version causing an unavoidable freeze, not to mention a separate headache related to the base ATI drivers not being up to date enough while also having the Rage driver present by default causing yet another unexpected freeze with my Radeon card.

It would be nice to know what's really going on inside these CPU Plugin files.  I'm curious if there would be anything to gain from deciphering what was patched and applying that to a later version of the file.  Does anyone here know how to disassemble and interpret that file?

Something I have been slowly checking on for a while.  By slowly I mean it's on my radar and I've peeked at the file.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2016, 03:06:33 PM »
THANK YOU! That was fast! :)
Just out of curiosity - this is different from the 2.7 version of the official Apple CPU Plugin file, correct?

Yes it is different. It is a modified version from Sonnet. Nobody seems to know exactly what's different about it but it likely has something to do with the fact that the Encore uses a 7447a chip instead of a 7450.

Offline ELN

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2016, 11:20:07 PM »

Something I have been slowly checking on for a while.  By slowly I mean it's on my radar and I've peeked at the file.

I had a squiz too. CPUP resources are PEFs that get linked by the Code Fragment Manager then somehow (definitely via the syscall interface) get served up to the Nanokernel. They abstract a a lot of power management functions. Possibly they replace the code in the idle task.

Are Sonnet still in business? I'd kill for the source code to of those things.

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2016, 01:30:24 PM »
Are Sonnet still in business? I'd kill for the source code to those things.

www.sonnettech.com

Not sure if anyone versed in the older stuff is still working there though.