Author Topic: The chassis expansion anthology for PowerMacs  (Read 73080 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Re: The chassis expansion anthology for PowerMacs
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2020, 06:59:27 AM »
I used to have the SBS 7-slot chassis and the cable it came with appeared to be proprietary and 68-pin. i was just doing inventory and stumbled upon another cable just like it, but with one difference: this time the connector is wider and is 80-pin. Exactly the same, but wider. Does anyone know if the 80pin one was for a 13-slot chassis or something else maybe?

There is old version cables and cards (physically wider, don't remember how many pins) and new version cables and cards. 7-slot chassis are in both versions (not sure about anothers). PCMCIA cards are only for new versions.

Is that for Magma, or SBS? Take a look here, I found something interesting: https://www.ebay.com/itm/392518094843 - it's the exact cable that I've got. I don't know if it fits onto that Magma interface card though.

Take a look at this too: https://www.ebay.com/itm/PCIHIF68-Magma-PCI-Expansion-System-Host-Interface-01-03527-00/122667677293?epid=1103647574&hash=item1c8f90366d:g:T80AAOSwOTVZoEMM - according to its name, it's the 68pin one, but the number 68 might not have to do with the pins. Maybe the cables are interchangeable between brands?

Maybe both Magma and SBS used older 80pin ones then both switched to 68 pin ones or something too.

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2020, 07:03:25 AM »
I used to have the SBS 7-slot chassis and the cable it came with appeared to be proprietary and 68-pin. i was just doing inventory and stumbled upon another cable just like it, but with one difference: this time the connector is wider and is 80-pin. Exactly the same, but wider. Does anyone know if the 80pin one was for a 13-slot chassis or something else maybe?

There is old version cables and cards (physically wider, don't remember how many pins) and new version cables and cards. 7-slot chassis are in both versions (not sure about anothers). PCMCIA cards are only for new versions.

Is that for Magma, or SBS? Take a look here, I found something interesting: https://www.ebay.com/itm/392518094843 - it's the exact cable that I've got. I don't know if it fits onto that Magma interface card though.

Do I remember right that SBS chassis are rebranded Magma?
Your first ebay link is for older version card/cable and chassis.
And second is for new version of card.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2020, 07:07:11 AM »
SBS isn't rebranded Magma, but a Digidesign-branded one is an SBS rebranded as Digidesign.

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2020, 07:09:00 AM »
SBS isn't rebranded Magma, but a Digidesign-branded one is an SBS rebranded as Digidesign.

But Digidesign chassis are rebranded Magma :)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2020, 07:35:38 AM »

You sure? I've read many times on the digidesign forum about SBS manufacturing the Digidesign ones, and I had a Digidesign one myself with SBS all on the inside of it. I didn't think Magma had anything to do with Digidesign but I may be mistaken.

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #105 on: July 25, 2020, 11:04:31 AM »
You sure? I've read many times on the digidesign forum about SBS manufacturing the Digidesign ones, and I had a Digidesign one myself with SBS all on the inside of it. I didn't think Magma had anything to do with Digidesign but I may be mistaken.

Ok..both might be right..I have seen 7-slot Digidesign chassis that has Magma stuff inside...but maybe some anothers are SBS manufactured.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2020, 06:29:34 AM »

The connectors for SBS and Magma are different... I think the Magma uses the wider connector.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #107 on: July 26, 2020, 06:33:37 AM »

Ok..both might be right..I have seen 7-slot Digidesign chassis that has Magma stuff inside...but maybe some anothers are SBS manufactured.

Yes, Digi branded both SBS and Magma chassis with the Digidesign logo... The SBS seems to be more common though.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #108 on: July 26, 2020, 06:35:20 AM »

The connectors for SBS and Magma are different... I think the Magma uses the wider connector.

That's what I'm thinking. I saw a picture posted by Knezzen of his Magma chassis and the connector looks wider than the SBS one. They're exactly of the same type and look 99% identical, the only difference is that one is wider than the other.

Offline tunedbytad

• Veteran Member
  • ProTools 5 addict
« Reply #109 on: August 30, 2022, 09:20:47 PM »
I will post Pic and Video of my working expansion Chassis this weekend, :-)  8)
Hi, My name is Tad
I have a PMG4 problem
aka tunedbytad aka ProTools4 aka NotoriouSS

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #110 on: August 30, 2022, 09:26:35 PM »
got the earliest one for nubus 1r slot digidesign 1990s early logo
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline tunedbytad

• Veteran Member
  • ProTools 5 addict
« Reply #111 on: September 04, 2022, 01:52:45 PM »
I will post Pic and Video of my working expansion Chassis this weekend, :-)  8)

Tutorial / Show N Tell / PT Community thread here:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,6467.0.html

Video is up
[youtube]9X8yrgy-I0o[/youtube]
Hi, My name is Tad
I have a PMG4 problem

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #112 on: September 04, 2022, 02:05:01 PM »
well please for the next video tell us what cables to buy
what expansion chassis are compatible
what cards to get in what amount and what revisions to avoid
basically a BillOfMaterials

thanks for doing this

also ive heard you can use multiple mix cards that true?
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline tunedbytad

• Veteran Member
  • ProTools 5 addict
« Reply #113 on: September 04, 2022, 02:07:05 PM »
well please for the next video tell us what cables to buy
what expansion chassis are compatible
what cards to get in what amount and what revisions to avoid
basically a BillOfMaterials

thanks for doing this

also ive heard you can use multiple mix cards that true?

will do maybe even today
Hi, My name is Tad
I have a PMG4 problem

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #114 on: September 04, 2022, 02:08:03 PM »
thats so much i bought so much but without guidance no red line

at this point in time everyone with first hand experience is an expert

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #115 on: January 20, 2023, 09:28:36 PM »
anyone got a MAGMA cardbus CDROM?

MAC.sit   From CDROM "MAGMA CB03A"
[3429KB] MAGMA.SIT. A stuffit file with all the drivers, extensions and utilties that are currently distributed on the MAGMA Cardbus Drivers and Utilities CDROM Disk. Updated June 28, 2002

im looking for an image

Offline Pink Flamingo

• Newcomer
« Reply #116 on: March 02, 2023, 11:32:56 AM »
Hi there!

Looking for some help here. I'm currently looking for a PCI expansion chassis for a Pro Tools 24 system (pre MIX era) including a Power Macintosh G3 Minitower 300 (which only offers 3 PCI slots) a d24 card, 3 farm cards and a Samplecell II card. I was recently offered a Digidesign MAGMA PCI-7 PXB which was being used to run a Pro Tools 24 MIX system (at least I was told so) so I'd like to know if it would work in my setup without problem. I checked a digicompat file but didn't find any info about this one on the Pro Tools 24 section (but it doesn't also appears on the PT24 MIX section and apparently works in that environment).

What do you guys think? Thank you all in advance.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #117 on: March 07, 2023, 08:48:39 AM »
I'd like to know if it would work in my setup without problem.

Has that ever happened?? Haha!

I have a few of those chassis but use in mix systems so not sure about your rig... just make sure you have the interface cards for the computer, the chassis and the connecting cable if you're gonna give it a try.

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #118 on: March 07, 2023, 03:56:48 PM »
Hi there!

Looking for some help here. I'm currently looking for a PCI expansion chassis for a Pro Tools 24 system (pre MIX era) including a Power Macintosh G3 Minitower 300 (which only offers 3 PCI slots) a d24 card, 3 farm cards and a Samplecell II card. I was recently offered a Digidesign MAGMA PCI-7 PXB which was being used to run a Pro Tools 24 MIX system (at least I was told so) so I'd like to know if it would work in my setup without problem. I checked a digicompat file but didn't find any info about this one on the Pro Tools 24 section (but it doesn't also appears on the PT24 MIX section and apparently works in that environment).

What do you guys think? Thank you all in advance.

read the digidesign expanded system guides of the corresponding pro tools version of your choice

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #119 on: March 08, 2023, 03:31:50 PM »

read the digidesign expanded system guides of the corresponding pro tools version of your choice

http://akarchive.digidesign.com/support/docs/Expanded_Systems_Guide.pdf

There is a brand called Bit-3 that later became SBS (?)

They became Abaco systems

I have a partial system that I want to complete.

It is a SBS bit 3 very old 7 slots. I have the guest card and need to find the host card plus the cable

« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 07:22:52 PM by Protools5LEGuy »
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4