Author Topic: We're hiring (and have some ideas)!  (Read 3388 times)

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
Re: We're hiring (and have some ideas)!
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2024, 01:14:50 AM »
- display calibration

LOL. I think I'm the only one here who does it on a regular basis.
(…)
All the tutorials will be "für die Katz".
I have an Quato/X-rite around (selected to be able to calibrate all Mac OS 9/10.4.11/Linux computers I have contact with). Sadly I never found time to get into this entire calibration/colour management field. But the Eizo FlexScan SX2461W and especially my LaCie Electron 22 Blue IV are waiting for a calibrated future that will come one day. So be sure I highly appreciate your postings and nothing is "für die Katz"! ;)

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2024, 02:37:32 AM »
I have a feeling that all the newcomer user base is mostly interested in getting cheap G3/G4, slapping OS9 onto it, playing a retro game or two and then putting the machine back in the corner.

Well to be fair, os9 as daily driver in 2024 isnt really an option

We would profit if we enter a mindset where its just a hobby rather
Than for professional use

Some disagree, but in my case, I don't just disagree: I think the opposite is true.

I think in 2024+, any (near any) Intel/AMD/ARM machine is not only not an option, but also a detriment when used, thanks to various famous hardware-level backdoors (IME, AMD PSP etc.), on top of various purposeful flaws that only get worse with time (soldered SSD and soldered RAM, for example). The most important things we daily do in life don't require a computer at all (and if they do, then something is wrong), but for the few things that a computer really helps us with, you will want decent hardware (PPC, 68k etc.). All versions of Mac OS (not Mac OS X) can run only on such hardware.

There is nothing I want to do that requires me to have any other system, not even the TLS issue @Mat alluded to. GNU/Linux also has a lot of issues, and is far more compromised than is commonly acknowledged, especially in the past 15+ years. All OSes are imperfect at best, of course, but I get all I want or need from an OS with Mac OS 9, be it today or tomorrow. Simply.

For "modern" systems, I think they are (sort of) fine if strictly forever used as an airgap device (no peripherals connected to it connect anywhere else, also obviously no Ethernet, WiFi, BlueTooth etc.). This is actually true for any computerized device to be perfectly honest, but is especially applicable to "modern" stuff, all of which are 100% unacceptable in every regard. Although I think almost no one using "modern" systems (or old systems that were compromised by design, such as any version of Windows starting at least with 95 OSR) is doing that.

In short: I refuse to endorse in any capacity any hardware or software that is flawed by design. Simultaneously, Mac OS 9 is one incredibly useful OS that runs properly on such great devices.

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2024, 11:41:55 AM »
There is nothing I want to do that requires me to have any other system, not even the TLS issue @Mat alluded to.

May I highjack the thread even a little bit more, and ask how you handle the Email usage?

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2024, 12:18:01 PM »
May I highjack the thread even a little bit more, and ask how you handle the Email usage?

STunnel running on a Linux or OSX machine working as a TLS middle man is what solves it :)
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2024, 12:41:29 PM »

Some disagree, but in my case, I don't just disagree: I think the opposite is true.

what a phantom discussion. :)

he might be right about the majority of humans and their current practice, and even about the majority of random visitors and what they do, and obviously about his own approach.

but what counts here is what the active members do - and many in this group use at least one OS9 workstation for whatever professional / ambitious task.

those who do the work decide what and how it is done - old, unavoidable rule in any group i know, from political parties and companies to lose online groups.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2024, 12:48:57 PM »
Well, I wanted to get enlightened about especially this conflicting facts:

running on a Linux or OSX machine
vs.
There is nothing (…) that requires me to have any other system, not even the TLS issue

;)

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2024, 01:08:37 PM »
what a phantom discussion. :)

exactly!

(continues clean his newly acquired SE  -afro-)
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline Greystash

• Gold Member
  • Tinkerer
    • Mac-Classic.com
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2024, 03:36:18 PM »

vs.
There is nothing (…) that requires me to have any other system, not even the TLS issue

;)

Mat I have done this before using SMTP2Go which works nicely, and was relatively easy to set up. It just requires you to purchase a domain name

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2024, 12:07:07 AM »

vs.

They are two solutions. Jubadub is talking about using Cameron Kaisers Crypto Ancienne library with it's built in HTTPS to HTTP proxy application carl on MachTen on Mac OS 9.2.2 instead of running it on a separate Linux or Unix machine. I'm talking about STunnel for "bridging" TLS/SSL mail servers to email clients with no TLS/SSL support (like anything other than the Classilla email client on Mac OS 9). I have never tried to build STunnel on MachTen, so I don't know if it will run in that environment.

So not conflicting, but two separate things ;)
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2024, 06:22:45 AM »
Speaking of tutorials.. Here's another one that describes trick not mentioned anywhere else on the web:

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=6742
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2024, 07:57:06 AM »
Speaking of tutorials.. Here's another one that describes trick not mentioned anywhere else on the web:

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=6742

Good one! :D

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2024, 05:21:23 AM »
So, does anyone feel like writing some condensed articles based on the threads posted here? Would greatly appreciate the help! :)

Offline hoovers@dawn

• Valued Member
« Reply #32 on: Yesterday at 09:30:51 PM »
I like the new Layout of the page....

as someone who has been in the branding game for over 20years can we keep with the apple branding? It'll look pretty clean...

G4 MDD dual 1.25ghz TDM Protools Rack mix++++++ 3x888/24, running Os9.22 Emagic Logic Pro 6.5.0.... Sounddiver 3.1 & plenty of outboard hardware.....

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: Yesterday at 11:17:09 PM »
I like the new Layout of the page....

as someone who has been in the branding game for over 20years can we keep with the apple branding? It'll look pretty clean...

This is so beautiful and professional, thank you for making this! :)

Is it fine if I voice a few nitpicks, though? I think the "Lives" bit aesthetically looks great, but also it is a "fading away" grey color, as if the "lives" bit is actually "dying out", and no emphasis on it, although it should be an exclamation, like the expression "It's alive!!! It LIVES!!!". Is it just me? Maybe some other hue, or color, or pattern of colors, would work better?

Would it also be possible to add a space between "Mac" and "OS"? Apple themselves stylize it that way.

But wow, seeing a pro of this field at work, it's really another level of polish entirely. :) I generally have no eyes for this level of work.

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #34 on: Today at 02:05:48 AM »
Nice one! Is it alright if I borrow it and put it on the page? :)
As I mentioned above, the current logo for the new theme is a work in progress and focus has shifted somewhat.