Digital Audio Workstation & MIDI > Audio & MIDI Hardware

Connecting a G4 quicksilver & a Powerbook 520c to an Akai dd1000 simultaneously

(1/3) > >>

blaylok:
Hi there,

I want to Connect my G4 quicksilver & my Powerbook 520c to an Akai dd1000 simultaneously on the same scsi bus.

The Powerbook (running system 7.6.1) runs the akai dd1000 control software and the G4 running akai mesa to retrieve and import my recordings taken on the dd1000 into mesa and then into recycle etc.

The akai dd1000 has 2 x c50 scsi connection sockets but I am wondering if I am going to get scsi id conflicts because both computers will be on scsi id7? Can the internal Id of either machine be changed?

The G4 is running an adaptec 2930cu mac version scsi card.

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience or advice on this please?

Thank you,

blaylok

refinery:

--- Quote --- I am wondering if I am going to get scsi id conflicts because both computers will be on scsi id7? Can the internal Id of either machine be changed?
--- End quote ---
1. Yes
2. No, not with that SCSI card. Only card I know of that lets you change the Mac scsi ID are adaptec 39160 cards.

DieHard:

--- Quote ---The akai dd1000 has 2 x c50 scsi connection sockets but I am wondering if I am going to get scsi id conflicts because both computers will be on scsi id7? Can the internal Id of either machine be changed?
--- End quote ---

I don't have the manual, but normally (2) Ext SCSI connectors would mean 2 separate SCSI busses that terminate at the port and the last device in the external chain; but perhaps both ports simply ribbon-ed internally to the same spot on the logic board... which really makes 0 sense.

Mr Google says...
http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/akai-dd1000/806

--- Quote ---The rear panel has analogue inputs and outputs (balanced XLR) and MIDI sockets along with two SCSI ports (for the DL1000 remote control unit and an external optical drive respectively),
--- End quote ---

So I am wondering if only 1 port is a true SCSI port (the one for the optical drive), and the other is a proprietary 50 pin interface for the remote unit.  Just cause it's 50-pin does NOT mean it's SCSI.

Lastly, I would avoid hooking (2) Computer SCSI controllers to a single SCSI port without massive research.  Both controllers may be sending term power down the SCSI chain, which can give some undesired results, like SCSI ID reflections, device overshooting, etc.

This may help or hinder:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=1712.msg7846#msg7846

As a caveat, I may be 100% wrong in the situation :)

refinery:

--- Quote from: DieHard on June 05, 2024, 09:19:53 AM ---
--- Quote ---The akai dd1000 has 2 x c50 scsi connection sockets but I am wondering if I am going to get scsi id conflicts because both computers will be on scsi id7? Can the internal Id of either machine be changed?
--- End quote ---

I don't have the manual, but normally (2) Ext SCSI connectors would mean 2 separate SCSI busses that terminate at the port and the last device in the external chain; but perhaps both ports simply ribbon-ed internally to the same spot on the logic board... which really makes 0 sense.
 :)

--- End quote ---

This was pretty common with rack mount samplers... All Kurzweil rack samplers have two SCSI ports, whereas rack mount Emu Ultras typically had the cheaper option which was just an internal cable with a cn50 at the end connected to one of the expansion ports.
The idea was to provide flexibility with external drives, zip drives, and other devices where having the sampler at the very end was not always convenient.

refinery:
Oh wow the plot thickens.
Looked up a picture of this thing and it actually has *three* SCSI connectors on back.
So my guess here is the "bottom" one is for computer interface and the other is probably for attaching other drives exclusively for the DD1000.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version