Author Topic: The maximum possible hardware configurationfor a g3 blue and white Mac with os9  (Read 841 times)

Offline Sphere478

• Newcomer
Hey all,

I have this fun tower I found and the nostalgia of mac os is flooding back to me playing with this.

My goals for this tower are to go absolutely nutty with the upgrades.

The only thing sacred will be the motherboard os 9.2 (or 9.3?) and the case. Past that, I want maximum hardware specs! the fastest, nuttiest upgrades I can give it!

Stock specs are
6gb hdd
Cd drive
No super drive
300 mhz g3 (the kind in the square socket with 2.54mm spacing pins .017” pin dia ,kinda like a 486 socket)
Os 8 or something rather
64mb of ram

What I have done so far, (and none of this has to be final)

I upgraded the hdd to 1 64gb DOM I’m thinking I will change that out to a sata m.2 over a pci sata card but I want help figuring out which one to use?

I upgraded the memory to 1gb

I bought a sound blaster live for it. (Is this the best card that will work?) I don’t yet have it working.

I bought a 6 port usb card

I have a radeon 9250 256mb that I would like to get working but haven’t got working yet. I did the resistor mod but am still a little unclear what to do on the flashing side of things.

I overclocked the cpu to 350mhz but ultimately want to upgrade to a ghz g4 (help me find one?)

Anyway, I am mostly a PC nerd so this mac stuff is kinda new to me, despite my first computer being a lc-550 so this is a learning curve. Could really use some guidance from the macsperts here :-)

If any of you are asking why I want to do this? Because it is there. And it is fun. :-)

I think it would be cool to also dual boot osx and os9 btw and get this thing fast enough to play halo pc and other later games. But os9 is definitely high on priority here for the mac os legacy games and feel and playing with that.