Author Topic: Uneven backlight on PowerBook 12  (Read 762 times)

Offline DrNo7

• Enthusiast Member
Uneven backlight on PowerBook 12
« on: October 31, 2023, 11:40:31 PM »
Hi everybody,

My trusty old Powerbook 12 (1.5GHz) is still kicking bytes butts but I noticed when powering it up few days ago a slightly darker area mid-bottom that felt like the backlight was uneven (I will try to take a pic to illustrate).
Is there any known symptoms like these? And if yes, how bad of a surgery would it mean (as these baby are not the simplest to take apart)?

Thanks in advance for your insight :)
Ti 1 GHz / 1 GB / FW SSD / Airport Extreme PCMCIA (triple boot)
Alu 12 1.5GHz / 1.5 GB / 256 GB mSata SSD (dual boot for now)

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
Re: Uneven backlight on PowerBook 12
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 01:34:38 AM »
Those CCFL backlight tubes fade sooner or later. That's in their nature. I have several PB G4s with dark-ish/uneven/colored displays.

Here's someone replacing CCFL tube in TiBook:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/my-titanium-powerbook-g4-repairs-continued.2283655/post-29604820

But, I would rather look for complete display assembly from PB with failed GPU chip than try to disassemble it.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline DrNo7

• Enthusiast Member
Re: Uneven backlight on PowerBook 12
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2023, 10:38:09 PM »
Thank you very much for the link ssp3 !

Definitely, the surgery down to and then inside the display assembly is a bit much for my taste (at least while it is mostly a cosmetic issue). And changing the display assembly is slightly "simpler" but will be prone to the same result.

Surprisingly, the post you linked mentions the exact situation I describe:
17. There is a dark spot in the center of the panel... At this stage I dismantled things again to reseat the backlight channel. When I pulled it out I could see a portion of the reflective material inside the channel was folded over itself, so I was able to gently pry it back out.

But if it is, I cannot explain what could have warped the reflective material (and again it is a long way inside to straighten it out). I will hope it stabilizes like this for the foreseeable future and will prepare myself for the (literal) dark times ahead :p
Ti 1 GHz / 1 GB / FW SSD / Airport Extreme PCMCIA (triple boot)
Alu 12 1.5GHz / 1.5 GB / 256 GB mSata SSD (dual boot for now)