Author Topic: finder crash on startup due to pci sata (sil3112)  (Read 424 times)

Offline chrisNova777

• Veteran Member
finder crash on startup due to pci sata (sil3112)
« on: April 05, 2024, 01:57:37 PM »
hey just trying to get an old g4 sawtooth mac up + running for a friend

everytime i boot up finder crashes and i have to force quit finder and have it relaunch
sometimes it bombs out.. and ihave to reboot yet again.. other times it works after force quitting but my friend is not gonna be able to deal with this
is there anyway to avoid the finder crash at start ? (using os 9.22)

i thought this was caused by my PCI Sata card, so the solution should be to put it on the main IDE controller with an IDE-SATA adapter....
im trying this now but having some problems as its been awhile since i messed with a G4...

Offline robespierre

• Veteran Member
  • malfrat des logiciels
Re: finder crash on startup due to pci sata (sil3112)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2024, 03:20:27 PM »
I don't think the Finder has any interaction with a SATA adaptor. Maybe the problem is just corrupt data on your drive?

Offline chrisNova777

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2024, 06:43:57 PM »
it seems to start up normally but just takes some time needs to be left alone for a few minutes if you try to be fast the finder is unresponsive.. trying to get to the bottom of what causes this if anyone has any information to offer please do

Offline aBc

• Veteran Member
  • FdB•FBz•aBc
Sawtooth Not Fun
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2024, 08:54:20 PM »
i thought this was caused by my PCI Sata card, so the solution should be to put it on the main IDE controller with an IDE-SATA adapter....
im trying this now but having some problems as its been awhile since i messed with a G4...

it seems to start up normally but just takes some time needs to be left alone for a few minutes if you try to be fast the finder is unresponsive.

So you have now completely removed the SiL3112 card and instead, placed the drive on the main IDE controller with an adapter AND it now needs to be left alone for a few minutes before fully operational?

Which IDE-SATA adapter and which SSD, mSATA, etc. “drive” are you using?
(Sorry no AHT for the Sawtooth.) Disable all unnecessary extensions & CPs too.

Think I’d be most inclined to reformat and clean install OS 9.2.2 again with drive + adapter on main IDE controller.
And of course, remove any multiprocessor files and any other unnecessary video extensions.
Seems that tonight's special here is the PMU reset too with any new hardware changes. ;)

Offline peeperpc

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2024, 09:05:03 AM »
Maybe it is the data that was damaged from when you used the PCI card. My experience with PCI SATA cards is that they are prone to have problems about data cable and power cable connections.

BTW, I don't know how your PCI SATA card was used. But I wouldn't connect two drives (which both or one of them is Seagate) to a 3112 card (2 cards, each with one drive is OK). Because although this configuration seems to work fine in OS 9. It will hang when copying files between the two drives in OS X. Which may corrupt the data and cause problems in OS 9 afterward. Modern drives from different brands act very differently with old hardware.

Offline chrisNova777

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2024, 04:08:57 PM »
its a sawtooth G4 450mhz - says its got boot rom 4.2.8f1
powermac3,1

ive got the SSD on the ATA interface now, using a sata/ide adapter instead of the pci sata card
investigating a bit further trying to find out the real reason for the finder crash...

the pci sata cards i was using, i used a few different ones, an ACARD 6890m, the other two are SIL3112 cards that had their roms replaced to properly fit the firmware of the Seritek 1S2 that required a certain type + size of chip to fit. made for me by a friend from 68kMLA forum.

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2024, 04:29:32 PM »
try and find the sonnet ones, they work plug and play.
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts