Author Topic: Mac mini G4 MIDI Interface  (Read 4359 times)

Offline Sargie

Mac mini G4 MIDI Interface
« on: August 29, 2023, 11:04:40 AM »
Hello!

I've recently got a G4 Mac mini and thanks to the good people on this forum is running OS9.

I want to use this machine as a Sounddiver box. I don't need audio in particular (if I do, I can just use the adaptor "trick") but I do need MIDI.

I have an M-Audio Firewire 410. I've done some exploring on here and have read the horror stories of people having issues getting this interface to work with audio with OS 9... but I can't seem to get it to work with MIDI.

I've installed OMS and the drivers for the Firewire 410... OMS "detects" the Firewire 410 but I cannot seem to get MIDI data in or out of the thing.

I've tested the Firewire 410 on OSX and it works fine.

I'm going to have another play tonight but I am not hopeful based on the other threads. If anyone has any ideas, I am all ears!

Can someone recommnend either a MIDI interface which will work with my configuration OR an audio interface with MIDI that will work please?

Many thanks in advance.

Sarge

Offline Sargie

Re: Mac mini G4 MIDI Interface
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2023, 12:01:10 PM »
For example: Would one of these likely work?

EDIROL - USA Audio Capture 24 bit 96 kHz UA-25

Thanks!

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 12:37:49 PM »
these should work:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,280.0.html
and
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,280.0.html
and
Yamaha mLAN8P (if you find original driver CD-ROM (if you find then tell me))
but
M-audio firewire 410 doesn't work if it has connected OSX10.6 or newer (updates firmware to be not compatible with MacOS9 without asking)
Presonus Firestation doesn't work if you have updated firmware

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2023, 01:10:47 PM »
For example: Would one of these likely work?

EDIROL - USA Audio Capture 24 bit 96 kHz UA-25

Thanks!

That's a "no go" in OS9

For MIDI in OS9, just buy a fastlane USB

Read this... the jury is still out on whether we can make a Mac mini multi-tracking DAW...

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,6746

and this...from ssp3

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,6825

Offline Sargie

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2023, 01:22:54 PM »
Thanks for the replies... It is very much appreciated!

It makes sense about the Firmware... I've had that experience with other interfaces in versions of Mac OSX so it rings true to me.

I think I am going to give up banging my head on the wheel of getting the M-Audio to work :)

I don't really need a fully working DAW for my needs. I just need MIDI to work and it would be nice to get sound out of the box if possible.

I found an Edirol audio interface with MIDI locally for a reasonable price which I can use for other things if necessary so I've taken a plunge... and hope I can get MIDI to work at least. if it does not work I'll look for a MIDI only solution.

I'll keep you posted with anything interesting I discover....

Offline Sargie

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2023, 10:59:56 PM »
So, the Edirol UA 25 arrived and I am pleased to say the MIDI works and I can use the G4 Mac mini as a Sound-diver machine.

I am experimenting to see if I can use the machine to run a DAW.

Unfortunately, both Cubase 24 and 32 crash on the logo screen when starting... the mouse will not move, I can't force quit. After a minute or so, the fan begins to run really loudly and I have to push the power button to kill the machine,

If anyone has any ideas how to fix this, I will try and test to see how the audio works.

Best,

Sarge

Offline Sargie

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2023, 11:11:22 PM »
If you set the "advanced" button on the back of the Edirol to "off", then certain apps will play sound through he device.

For example, Rebirth works great.

The "system" sounds, like sound effects, do not play though...

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2023, 04:22:06 AM »
If you set the "advanced" button on the back of the Edirol to "off", then certain apps will play sound through he device.

For example, Rebirth works great.

The "system" sounds, like sound effects, do not play though...

I read fast the manual that I found from net: System sound playing (Sound Manager) is not supported.
It is quite normal that system sounds doesn't work with semi-professional or professional audio-interfaces.
I think there was some program to route system sounds to ASIO driver, I don't remember name.

It seems that UA-25 has two ASIO drivers ASIO1.0 and ASIO2.0.
ASIO1.0 is for advanced off and ASIO2.0 is for advanced on.
ASIO1.0 should work every application.
I afraid that UA-25 ASIO2.0 driver only works both directions (in and out) at max 24bit/48khz, like M-Audio Transit.

But from manual: "If you want to playback at 96 kHz, you must set the 96 kHz REC/PLAY switch to 96 kHz PLAY (playback)."
So I am interested in does it support 24bit/96khz at output only mode like M-Audio Transit?
I am interested in although I know that it is quite normal analog side of these devises has residual noise and frequency response comparable to somewhere 17bit/45khz quality (everything else is in noise floor) (what is not bad, it is better than analog side of some modern devices)

Remember you can use UA-25 as MIDI interface only and do not use audio side at all (don't put ASIO driver to Cubase ASIO folder).

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2023, 11:43:26 AM »
many devices support "ASIO Soundmanager" though, the main issue remains that the mini hardware does not like OS9.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2023, 11:47:37 AM »
and I can use the G4 Mac mini as a Sound-diver machine.

almost ideal use case for a 9-mini.

the mouse will not move, I can't force quit.

here are about 5 threads about the mac mini mouse issue and at least 2 different attempts how to fix it.

one of them was to set usb overdrive to a speed other than 1.0, because otherwise it does not do its job and replaces the system mous data.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2023, 02:19:47 PM »
OK... so I google the wrong interface, and yes, I stand totally corrected, OS 9 is a go, and ASIO drivers should work without issue if you...

1) Make sure the switch is in "Advanced Mode"

2) Before launching the app., move all exsiting ASIO drivers out of the apps ASIO subfolder and then copy the single US-25 ASIO driver into the folder, Cubase may be crashing because you left the default system ASIO in the folder, if you create another folder "ASIO (Unused)" and move all other ASIO drivers, it will be force to used the UA-25 out of the gate if it is the only driver in the main ASIO folder :)
This is the operating mode when the rear panel ADVANCE (mode select)
switch is ON.
You can use the native driver included on the UA-25 Driver CD-
ROM to record, play, and edit audio with high quality and stable timing. In
Advanced mode, audio signals are transferred between the UA-25 and the
computer at a bit depth of 24 bits and a sample rate of 44.1/48/96 kHz. Choose
Advanced mode
if you are using software that supports 24-bit audio, such as
the Cakewalk series or Cool Edit; or ASIO-compatible software
that can
record, play, and edit high-quality audio, such as Cubase VST or Logic Audio.
Normally, you should use Advanced mode

Lastly, from Teroyk:

I am not sure where you read that, it may not be correct, I believe using any ASIO needs the switch on

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2023, 04:13:10 AM »
Lastly, from Teroyk:

I am not sure where you read that, it may not be correct, I believe using any ASIO needs the switch on

I put together some information (manual page 14 and 43) too fast and I made mistake and also forget that MIDI only works in Advanced On. But checked information and when Advanced Off the device goes to 16bit/44.1khz only mode what is usable with ASIO1.0 or ASIO2.0 16bit driver only. So it is better keep Advanced On (or is there software that crash with 24-bit ASIO 1.0 driver?, Cakewalk Metro crash with ASIO 2.0 drivers (or at least with devices made by RME))
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 04:42:24 AM by teroyk »

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2023, 04:49:00 AM »
many devices support "ASIO Soundmanager" though, the main issue remains that the mini hardware does not like OS9.

Yes, but how about do opposite and route systems sounds to ASIO device with Spig (I remembered name at last).

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2023, 08:16:25 AM »
many devices support "ASIO Soundmanager" though

From my tests that always crashes the mini, no matter the interface, so I am guessing it looks at the incompatible on-board sound and tries to load :(

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2023, 06:55:51 PM »
Yes, but how about do opposite and route systems sounds to ASIO device with Spig (I remembered name at last).

to do that, all you need is an ASIO app of your choice.

unless the involved programs offer something better, like direct connect, a dedicated VST plug-in or rewire.

giving the finder (or actually the system?) itself native ASIO support will be more than a hack from my understanding.

Offline Sargie

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2023, 08:12:26 PM »
Sorry... my schedule has been crazy and I am traveling... So I haven't had too much time to try things.

However:

I followed DieHards advice and Cubase is now running!

I am not an expert with Cubase... but is there anything you'd like me to test to see how well this interface performs with the Mini from a DAW perspective?

I've got VST's playing via Midi and it seems to work just fine so far.

Best,

Sarge