Author Topic: Two-button Mouse Software for OS 9.1  (Read 1222 times)

Offline keithiepoo

• Valued Member
Two-button Mouse Software for OS 9.1
« on: February 18, 2024, 03:00:01 PM »
Hey guys, I know this has been discussed before, but I cannot find the entry(ies). Perhaps no one cares about this anymore? But, I would like to get a MacAlly 2-button mouse working with my Rev A iMac running OS 9.1. (Both buttons function as the left one does.)

I installed the MacAlly software, but I get this error message: "MacAlly USB device driver cannot be loaded. Please refer to user's manual for more information."

I downloaded something more generic called "Point Device" or something like that, written in 1997. That just succeeded in crashing the system hard.

Any suggestions?
“You're giving me the ‘it's not you, it's me’ routine? I invented ‘it's not you, it's me.’ Nobody tells me it's them not me; if it's anybody, it's me.”  ~ George Costanza

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Two-button Mouse Software for OS 9.1
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2024, 03:24:06 PM »
some work with their driver, some work withouth their custom driver installed, others (like all recent) dot not have OS9 support but just work with the mouse control panel, and others dont.

what works with 99% of the devices is USB Overdrive, which you want to install right now.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2024, 07:28:53 AM »
what works with 99% of the devices is USB Overdrive

No, it might be something like 60%, possibly less. I go over it with data from multiple tests in the Garden (look for Jatoba's last post in there).

But yes, it is still definitely the go-to solution that we try first before all others. And if that causes issues, then Logitech MouseWare for OS 8 & 9 is very much worth a shot (wish I had tested all my incompatible mice with that, as well!)
But if that ALSO fails, then at the very least you should be able to use TheMouse2B as a (scrolling-wheel-less IIRC) replacement, very famous among those using SheepShaver (yuck).

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2024, 11:20:43 AM »
interesting, what would be the reason? shouldn´t mouse data always be within  the HID class? i´ve used a bunch of different logitech, both with and without usboverdrive.

Offline keithiepoo

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2024, 08:06:42 PM »
Thank you for that thorough list of options. I really appreciate it. I'll give those a shot.
“You're giving me the ‘it's not you, it's me’ routine? I invented ‘it's not you, it's me.’ Nobody tells me it's them not me; if it's anybody, it's me.”  ~ George Costanza

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2024, 07:55:50 AM »
interesting, what would be the reason? shouldn´t mouse data always be within  the HID class? i´ve used a bunch of different logitech, both with and without usboverdrive.

Good question, but I'm completely clueless as to why. If I still had those mice, I would investigate further, but I shifted my location and had to leave almost everything behind, so I'm unable to retry.

Nonetheless, it's good for people to know of alternatives to USB Overdrive, in case their mice are also affected. And if they are, maybe they can try looking into the device tree etc. and see if they can figure out why only some are affected.

Thank you for that thorough list of options. I really appreciate it. I'll give those a shot.

We are glad to help!

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2024, 11:46:06 AM »
until 1152p monitors with system7-8 i have used the apple mouse because i thought it was superior.

and it is in fact super exact and easily lets you choose single pixels in programming enviroments or image editors.

then around 1998 i have bought one of the first wheelmouses available, and after a few days it was clear that you can never go back once you used that.

with one button, the left hand is permanently busy with alt and apple keys. with a three button mouse the left hand is free for a midi controller or the numpad.

Offline keithiepoo

• Valued Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2024, 06:12:57 PM »
USB Overdrive did it! Thanks guys.