Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: just got my compact flash > IDE adapters...  (Read 4662 times)

supernova777

just got my compact flash > IDE adapters...
« on: April 30, 2015, 10:31:28 AM »

havent benchmarked any of them yet because i have some crappy old lame compact flash
the kind that came with the camera with a reall low mb size.. 512mb + 1gb is all i have at the moment.. but..

without benchmarkng.. i just installed dos + window 3.1 for kicks on the 512mb compact flash and it was very much faster then using a hard drive.. which is already fast.. thats to say it was almost bloody instant. lol

so i think its a serious win for old os.. ie: mac os 8.6 on a small compact flash..
heck even os 9 on a 2gb-4gb compact flash will probably do just fine..
i will be testing further!! hopefully with some different better rating compact flash
but right now im thinking its a huge WIN  + i reccommend anyone here go buy these
adapters.. they were like 1.99$ each with free shipping.. basically free

supernova777

Re: just got my compact flash > IDE adapters...
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 10:57:13 AM »

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=11_1216_173&item_id=050012

this one looks slow.. compared to the others but the 40-45mb/s realy doesnt take into account how much faster the seek time is (nonexistant) to
begin to read the data - which is the primary reason for delay/slowness when using a real mechanical drive..

will be interesting to see the difference in speed between the different ratings of compact flash quality

266x - 400x - 600x - 800x - 1000x

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=11_1216_173&item_id=060854

heres 16gb 1000x for 50$

Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 11:00:54 AM »

Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

supernova777

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 12:31:07 PM »

i bought this cheap one .
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=11_1216_173&item_id=050012

24$

im about to test . ;D

"ultimate" 266x lol
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 12:43:12 PM by chrisNova777 »

supernova777

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 12:47:59 PM »

if put into the ATA-66 port on an MDD it just *BARELY* fits to close the case.. as long as u remove the drive cage under the cd drives....  8)

as this thing has only female connection and has to sit right in the ide port itself without a cable (cables are all female-female so unless u can find a male-female cable then it wont work and those cables probably dont exist)

16gb compact flash shows up as 14.49gb when formatted to mac os extended..

now for some atto expresstool benchmark!

ok for this card my results are:
49MB/S READ
19MB/S WRITE

so maybe not so good for recording audio..
but great for the system drive!

ok this is strange.. thers a check ox that says "System disk cache"
and when i select that i get a different result..
now it says 67MB/s READ & 105MB/S write
i think thats using the drive in combination with my 7200 RPM 200gb drive thats currently my system drive.

changed some settings .. testing with 8MB size file
50MB/s READ & 28MB/s WRITE
so its clearly faster reading then writing

it is connected to the ATA66 bus.. not sure if thats decreasing its performance..

regardless of the numbers.. im hoping the real world boot time in actual experience will be an improvement over the mechanical drive at least

« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 01:07:39 PM by chrisNova777 »

supernova777

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 01:12:00 PM »

well i didnt notice my boot time.. coz it went too fast lol

but pro tools free loads up like instant now!! theres definately a speed improvement going on here;)

so i have to say I HIGHLY RECCOMMEND THIS!!
it working fast.. i think on the other non mdd g4 putting the card directly into an IDE bus will be easier even.. but i have to figure out a way to attach it to a cable so that it doesnt take up the whole port when u could attach 2 drives to an ide port..

launching photoshop 7 i can see a big improvement aswell
so its a success.. ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent Topics