Mac OS 9 Discussion > Emulation

NoSTalgia 0.65 - ATARI ST emulation in MacOs9 with OMS support

(1/8) > >>

Irisman:
Hi,

I read: <<The freeware ST emulator NoSTalgia is a complete emulation (...). The older Version 0.65 worked best for me on Mac OS 9.x. It was good to communicate over MIDI with my old Casio CZ-1.>>   source:  http://members.optusnet.com.au/toxicoh/emulate.htm

It´s, maybe, an easy way to use Atari ST MIDI apps like KMP, or YAMAHA V50 synth editor, or another Atari MIDI apps insideMacOs9, using OMS in the MacOs 9.2.2 environment :)

I did not find the NoSTalgia 0.65 software anywhere, so I decided to write to the developer :)

Philippe Gérin, NoSTalgia developer, kindly gave me the link to get the 0.65 version por PPC, with OMS support. I was also authorized to give copies to friends.

Further version 1.1, available at the macintoshgarden site, has the OMS disabled. After reading some info available about versions, it´s written that this function was disabled since 0.7 version.

So, I attach here the NoSTalgia 0.65 version .sit file, to make you curious.

Enjoy!

Cleffhyena:
Awesome! Is it stable enough on a G3?

macStuff:
greetings Irisman!

thank you for sharing this information!
this is very interesting as there are literally tons of ATARI ST applications, some of which were never ported to another platform

is this a new or old development??
are u certain that the program is able to properly route MIDI to an OMS device?

from what i read on the page you linked it seemed to be saying that it doesnt interface with actual real hardware well at all. and that it was better to use to interface virtually with quicktime?

curious as to why the developer would choose to disable OMS? perhaps it was a decision based upon the limitations of the app's ability to interact with real hardware so he purposely disabled?

i look forward to hearing from anyone testing this software!

Irisman:

--- Quote from: Cleffhyena on September 05, 2017, 08:51:31 AM ---Awesome! Is it stable enough on a G3?

--- End quote ---

I tried It on a Power Book G3 PDQ and It ran  👍

I could not use Cubasis . Cubase neither. On G3 or G4.

Irisman:

--- Quote from: macStuff on September 05, 2017, 02:23:53 PM ---greetings Irisman!

thank you for sharing this information!
this is very interesting as there are literally tons of ATARI ST applications, some of which were never ported to another platform

is this a new or old development??
curious as to what the point would be to disable OMS?

--- End quote ---

Hi, nice to read you. 👍

It is early software, not new development. It runs MIDI correctly on very interesting experimental tools for composing like algorythm generators, random note generators or so, what opens new MIDI compostional tools to the absolute awesome and stable DieHards Instant DAW.
For more complex software like sequencers/editors dont run so good. For these purpose I found that the best option for Atari emulator is clearly the Steem 3.2. It works flawlessly on Windows 7 platform. (HP Elitebook 8440p) that I have synchronized ( slave ) to the Power Mac G4 running MacOs9 .

Better get a real Atari if you want the best Atari MIDI experience. For accesory use, emulator  NoSTalgia 0.65 is nice and ready to use and do its job if capable to.

Greetings,
Irisman

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version