Author Topic: 733 MHz Quicksilver network problem  (Read 1209 times)

Offline StarExplorer

• Be kind to each other
733 MHz Quicksilver network problem
« on: February 27, 2024, 06:23:04 PM »
I'm trying to get my 733 MHz Quicksilver online. The built-in gigabit ethernet interface has never worked as long as I've had this, so I've always just used a PCI ethernet card. Well last night I got it back out, and reinstalled a fresh copy of Mac OS 9.2.2 on it, and I'm getting a 169.254 address.

This network card has always worked before, but I was going to try to install the driver manually and see if that helped, but I quickly realized I couldn't find the manufacturer of it.

If any of you have one of these cards, what brand is this PCI ethernet card, so I can find the driver for it?

Thanks in advance!  :D

Offline StarExplorer

• Be kind to each other
Re: 733 MHz Quicksilver network problem
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2024, 06:36:09 PM »
I just found out that the arrows can be clicked to show more information in Apple System Profiler under the Devices and Volumes tab. I might have known about it before, but it's been a long time since I last used Mac OS 9.

Anyway, I found the vendor ID is 10EC, which is Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Now I can try to find the driver for it.

Offline StarExplorer

• Be kind to each other
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2024, 03:30:05 PM »
I downloaded and installed the driver for it, although it said the newest Mac OS it supported was 8.6. I'm still getting the 169.254.x.x address, and the network is still not working on it. Does anybody have any suggestions to try?

Thanks

Offline StarExplorer

• Be kind to each other
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2024, 08:17:01 PM »
I was able to confirm that the ethernet card works, by booting into an Ubuntu live CD, but when I boot into Mac OS 9.2.2, it doesn't work.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2024, 09:59:34 PM »
That's probably a self-assigned IP address. You may be getting some snark from your ISP where they want TLS compatibility. I don't know how long you had it put away but it may have been long enough for your ISP to expect an upgrade.
Can you work around it? Maybe, but then you're right back up against the servers who want it as HTTPS.
OR…… you may be having an argument with your router (if you have one and doesn't everybody?). Generally, your interface gets an IP assigned by the ISP and then it assigns variants of that (xxx.xxx.xxx.1, .2, .3………) to the devices in its LAN.

Personally, I'm not the designated expert about this stuff but I do know that it gets harder to use OS9 on the internet every day.
I have enough trouble just keeping all of the damn acronyms straight…

Online IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2024, 01:13:53 AM »
can you explain what you mean "it gets that adress"?

the PC should get its adress either from the router - or by you, when you choose to set manually an adress of your choice.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline StarExplorer

• Be kind to each other
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2024, 03:09:06 AM »
Thanks for your replies. What I mean is that is the only address it ever shows, both under Apple System Profiler and the TCP/IP control panel.

When I go into the TCP/IP control panel, and I click on Connect via, the only ethernet option is the built-in one, which doesn't work. There are AppleTalk (MacIP), Ethernet built-in, and PPP.

When I go into Apple System Profiler, and when I click on Devices and Volumes, and then click on the PCI slot the network card is in, it shows something there. The info it gives there is:

PCI Slot
Card type: Not available
Card name: pci10ec,8139
Card model: -1
Card ROM #: Not available
Card revision: 16
Card vendor ID: 10EC

I looked up the vendor ID and 8139 and it is RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ Ethernet Controller manufactured by Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. I found the driver for Mac OS, but it was for Mac OS 8. The extension is listed under Extensions in Apple System Profiler, and it says it's enabled.

Under TCP/IP, if I set the Ethernet built-in to Auto DHCP, it always shows the 169.254 address. I have it connected to the physical ethernet 4-port switch on my wireless router. I can't ping it from my other computer that is working on the LAN.

I have no idea how to make it use the network card in the PCI slot instead of trying to keep using the bad built-in ethernet adapter.

Offline V.Yakob

• Enthusiast Member
  • Mac User
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2024, 03:21:32 AM »
Try to configure the network interface manually.
I've encountered a problem on old Macs like the Power Macintosh G3 Minitower. If you start Mac OS 8/8.5.1/8.6-- the built-in 10 Mbps interface for some reason does not receive an IP Address from the DHCP server on an Intel-based Mac. At the same time, any version of Mac OS 9 receives the address. As a result, I have to configure the address manually to use the network on this machine.

Card type: Not available -- Strangely, in the idea, the type of device should be defined as Ethernet.
PPC — PM 8100/80, PM 9600/300, PM G3 Minitower (Rev. C), PM G3 B&W (Rev. B), PM G4 Quicksilver (2002), PM G4 MDD (2003), PM G5 (Late 2005).
Intel — Mac mini (mid 2010), iMac 5k (2017), Mac mini (2018).
AppleSilicon — Mac mini (2020), Mac Studio M2 Max + Apple Studio Display.

Online IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2024, 06:59:28 AM »
ok, i was suspecting that the adress you see there would be a fake adress (aka some default value) of the non working built-in.

my knowledge about this is zero, but i, my experience that "not available" does not automatically mea it is  related to a problem; the powercore and some graphics cards also give this while operating fine.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline StarExplorer

• Be kind to each other
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2024, 04:02:16 PM »
Try to configure the network interface manually.
I've encountered a problem on old Macs like the Power Macintosh G3 Minitower. If you start Mac OS 8/8.5.1/8.6-- the built-in 10 Mbps interface for some reason does not receive an IP Address from the DHCP server on an Intel-based Mac. At the same time, any version of Mac OS 9 receives the address. As a result, I have to configure the address manually to use the network on this machine.

Card type: Not available -- Strangely, in the idea, the type of device should be defined as Ethernet.

It doesn't work if I try to set it manually. In the TCP/IP control panel it only gives one ethernet option, which is the built-in ethernet adapter. Is there a way to make it show the PCI ethernet card as an option to select in the TCP/IP control panel?

I've been able to manually configure ethernet cards under Linux, but Mac OS 9 seems to be very limited as far as being able to configure the network cards. Maybe I'll try to look for some kind of networking utility on Macintosh Garden.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2024, 05:57:04 PM »
I downloaded and installed the driver for it, although it said the newest Mac OS it supported was 8.6. I'm still getting the 169.254.x.x address, and the network is still not working on it. Does anybody have any suggestions to try?
This really looks like the driver ain't driving. You say "it worked before" and they say it's good up to OS8.6.
Is that what you were running then? Did you use the "8.6" driver then?

Offline StarExplorer

• Be kind to each other
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2024, 06:59:39 PM »
Yeah I forget where I downloaded the driver, but I downloaded the driver again, this time from Macintosh Garden here.

https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/realtek-ethernet-pci-card-drivers-rtl8100blrtl8100clrtl8101lrtl8139cl-rtl8139clrtl8139dlrtl8100

I drug the driver program into the extensions folder in the system folder, restarted, and now the PCI ethernet card shows up in the TCP/IP control panel, along with the correct MAC address, but it still won't get an IP address from the router. It still has the 169.254 address. I've tried DHCP and BOOTP, and the 802.3 check box is checked so that it uses the proper ethernet standards.

The lights on the back of the PCI ethernet card light up when I plug the cat5 cable in, so that looks good. It's also showing more info now in Apple System Profiler, saying Ethernet adapter.

*** UPDATE:

I tried UNchecking the 802.3 check box, while DHCP was selected, and that did it! I was able to use IE to get to a webpage.

So I guess the 802.3 standards were messing it up, which I don't get. But it's working now! :D

I really appreciate everyone trying to help :D
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 07:10:06 PM by StarExplorer »