Author Topic: Apple Software Restore: Post Actions  (Read 541 times)

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
Apple Software Restore: Post Actions
« on: April 03, 2024, 04:57:02 PM »
Hello, I'm trying to execute a program after ASR finishes a restore - a Post-Action.

From the "ASR How to", it seems simple: place any programs inside a 'Post' folder inside an 'Actions' folder, that itself is inside the 'Configurations' folder on the volume containing ASR (in my case a CD).

Unfortunately, this hasn't worked for me. The restore finishes, but programs placed in the folder are not launched. This is on ASR 2.2.5d3c2, but the same behaviour is seen with ASR 2.2.4.

I've tried a few different programs, such as the ones provided with ASR, and also tried them as Pre-actions to see if they could open.
I have looked at some strings of the ASR program in ResEdit, but I haven't got any further.

This is for the Mac mini CD, where I need to run a Post Action to determine the model of the Mac, then install machine specific drivers to the newly restored volume (this is while the minis have different compatibilities with different sets of drivers)
My program functions fine from the CD, I just can't get it to launch automatically.

Perhaps there's a better way of doing this; but'd be good to get Post-Actions working anyway.
Anyone know what's up?

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
Re: Apple Software Restore: Post Actions
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2024, 06:04:41 PM »
Don't rush, RossDarker. Wait until I finish testing all combinations of my Minis and available displays.
I already have some results, but haven't published them yet.
What driver to use not only depend on machine type, but also on what interface - DVI or VGA is going to be used.
And, so far, ROM file from v9 installer seems to be, lets say, less than ideal.  :(

By the way, can your script or whatever read machine IDs early in the process to differentiate between 10,1 and 10,2 ?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 06:15:50 PM by ssp3 »
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 03:35:05 AM »
Of course, though I’d like Startup Disk to launch automatically post-restore too. Currently users are instructed to launch it from the Apple Menu themselves to select the correct drive before restarting. If anyone objects to that change, do say.

I think MacTron had a good knowledge of ASR. Any thoughts on Post-Actions not working as expected?

Regarding detection of the model; the program runs from the booted system so I’m not detecting 10,1 or 10,2 currently, just VRAM. Sounds doable though.

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2024, 03:47:23 AM »
You can't trigger everything using an AppleScript? The thing you're trying to do sounds exactly what AppleScript is designed to solve.
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2024, 04:01:25 AM »
Absolutely, I'm using AppleScript for my program, I just can't get ASR to launch it or any programs post-restore.
Of course, the user can just launch Startup Disk or a script manually, but ASR should support this.

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1680.0;attach=954