Author Topic: "Your Login has been disabled. Please contact your administrator  (Read 2074 times)

Offline Catalina

• Newcomer
Hi, running 2 G4s on OS  9.2.2 ( both running fine) and want to link them together.
Started up with ethernet cable joining them, made sure file sharing was on in both but no image appeared of the either computer. Tried "Multiple users"  and then a reboot on each computer.

Second computer opens but then runs "Your login has been disabled. Please contact your administrator" and has to be shut down at the tower.

As the 2 computers are not connected to the internet and used only at home I don't run any passwords, and the administrator as far as I know is me!  Can anyone help me with overcoming this problem please?  ...I have used up my limited knowledge and desperately need to get them connected and back to work. Fingers crossed!

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: "Your Login has been disabled. Please contact your administrator
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2023, 11:15:25 PM »
do you have a reason to use users?

it is just a name and pretends be "users". you dont need it in OS9, you can just deinstall the controlpanel.

you can simply bypass it when you start in safe boot mode (hold shift), then move the controlpanel into the "disabled" folder, or outside the system folder. if it does not work from the system in question, it will from CD.

insert arbitrary signature here

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2023, 01:53:20 AM »
Sorry, but I don't understand what you are trying to achieve.
What do you mean by 'no image appeared'.
Please provide your exact steps and then we can troubleshoot more effectively.

One reason to use Multiple Users is to offer some level of unauthorised use protection. If you have no passwords, it seems superfluous.

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2023, 02:14:19 AM »
A silly question - did you use the crossover cable?
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline Catalina

• Newcomer
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2023, 03:14:03 AM »
Thanks for the quick response everyone.

IIO  - I clicked Multiple Users out of frustration at no sign of User in file sharing appearing to work. My bad. I will try the safe boot suggestion and see if that gets some action and if not back to the boot CD.

ovalking  - the image I was looking for: last time I connected the two an icon of each machine appeared on the respective screens

ssp3  - have bought a cross-over cable to try when I get the computer back online - was using a straight ethernet cable.

Hopefully all of the above will get me going again. Thank you all for your input I will post the outcomes on the morrow. Cheers

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2023, 04:05:45 AM »
Just connecting the 2 machines will not produce any icons.
You must connect through the Chooser and Appleshare, choose the machine, enter your credentials and choose the required drive.
Only then will the icon appear.

A crossover cable is not required if you have gigabit ethernet machines.

Offline refinery

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2023, 03:38:45 PM »
Just connecting the 2 machines will not produce any icons.
You must connect through the Chooser and Appleshare, choose the machine, enter your credentials and choose the required drive.
Only then will the icon appear.

A crossover cable is not required if you have gigabit ethernet machines.

You might also have to enter the IP of the other machine if you are connecting them directly as they will have self-assigned IP addresses
got my mind on my scsi and my scsi on my mind

Offline Catalina

• Newcomer
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2023, 06:45:56 AM »
Hi All, The cross-over cable worked (fancy that I said to myself) and now they talk to each other M/Users is gone and also gone is the message regarding Logins being disabled.

Sadly now neither computer will recognise the Printer. System Profile shows it connected, Chooser shows the printer icon and when clicked shows the printer name in the window, but as soon as I attempt to open page set up (in any program, even desktop the message comes "Cannot open the printer (64)".

I tried different USB cables from the printer to the computer; turned off and on, restarted multiple times and ditched all references/files for the printer and reloaded the printer software, but the same problem arises. All plugs have been triple checked, different USB ports tried and still no luck.

I suspect it will be something I have missed and probably obvious and at worse case it may be the printer (Brother HL-5040). God forbid.

Any ideas, will be gratefully welcome... my neighbour has already suggested an axe! But what would he know he is a Windows freak. lol