Author Topic: Modding the 9200 OS9 driver for a 9600 (is it possible?)  (Read 974 times)

Offline Manjaruntu

• Newcomer
  • Three frags left.
Modding the 9200 OS9 driver for a 9600 (is it possible?)
« on: October 26, 2023, 01:21:50 PM »
Hi, I'm wondering if it's possible to mod the 9200 driver for OS 9 to allow a 9600 (like the one on the 1.42 GHz eMac) to get full HW acceleration?
I've been looking at either reverse engineering the OS 9 driver for the former, as well as the OS X drivers for both the former and latter, check any differences between the two OS X drivers, or do the same but with the Linux/BSD radeon driver source code for both GPUs.
Thanks.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Modding the 9200 OS9 driver for a 9600 (is it possible?)
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2023, 02:54:26 PM »
Hi, I'm wondering if it's possible to mod the 9200 driver for OS 9 to allow a 9600 (like the one on the 1.42 GHz eMac) to get full HW acceleration?

Possible... well, anything is possible, many thought the Mac mini could never run OS 9 and now it does, but to stay on topic, many here have tried without success to create working drivers for the various ATI 9xxx that support acceleration.  New minds that want to attack such a challenge are always welcome; all I can say is that you are better off searching and reading the forum as opposed to asking since we have been at this topic for over 10 years.

The more I think about it, the "gift" that Darthnvader gave us for the ATI 9200 has definitely single-handedly expanded the gaming community on Mac OS 9.

Offline Manjaruntu

• Newcomer
  • Three frags left.
Re: Modding the 9200 OS9 driver for a 9600 (is it possible?)
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2023, 04:24:55 PM »
The more I think about it, the "gift" that Darthnvader gave us for the ATI 9200 has definitely single-handedly expanded the gaming community on Mac OS 9.
I'm hoping that the eMac gets more love from the OS 9 crowd. I'm hoping that someone like me could make ATI 9600 machines like the 1.42 GHz model a really good gaming machine.
All I can say is that you are better off searching and reading the forum as opposed to asking since we have been at this topic for over 10 years.
Alright. I'll make sure to scour the forum for info, hoping that I can at least try to add another machine to the formerly unsupported list.