Author Topic: computing within limits  (Read 2019 times)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
computing within limits
« on: June 13, 2023, 05:56:26 PM »
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: computing within limits
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2023, 03:38:45 PM »
Dat's deep, man.

A lot of 4, 5 and even 6-syllable words there.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2023, 06:23:12 PM »
the approach is not to be confused with "vintage", which is a completely different perspective.

Offline ivanshpak

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2023, 03:23:11 PM »
Yes, something is completely wrong with this digital culture, and the conscious refusal to follow the routes of this culture is an interesting point of view and methodology

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2023, 12:52:10 AM »
I trying computing within limits, but I couldn't download pdf, because page needs too new browser, not even Firefox 45 (last for OSX 10.6) enough.

But even abstract is interesting...

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2023, 01:38:01 AM »
There you go.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2023, 05:30:12 AM »
"i always need the latest because it is better" and "i dont always need the lastest because that´s consumism" are both ideology based.

"vintage" can be a concept for a single artwork, but is not a generic approach how to choose tools for creative work (which is not limited to arts)

the suggested variant here to just look at a tool and ask "what can do with it? ah, it is a tool for xxx. ok, then let´s do it!" - instead of evaluating its megahertz, core number, max RAM limit, additional features, its social meaning, and its relative price against possible alternatives.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 11:31:48 AM by IIO »

Offline rvense

• Veteran Member
  • Lombard & son
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2023, 09:22:57 AM »
A computer that still boots will still do what it did when it was new. Computers don't get slower, they don't lose their memories, software doesn't rot.

You can write a novel on a 512K Mac same as you could when it was new. You can make music on a G4 same as you could when it was new. You might need some extras to interact with newer machines, but the computer itself doesn't change. Of course, most people have spent their lives upgrading to follow shifting requirements, and mostly use their computers for communication (in the broadest sense), so they get the idea that old computers aren't useful anymore. But it's just wrong.

(Of course, app stores and online activation of software changes this somewhat - a 2023 iPad likely won't be resurrectable in 20 years, unfortunately.)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2023, 11:32:29 AM »
i shall change the nonsense i posted on lines last night for the 3 sentences above.