Author Topic: Hard Drives Setup  (Read 7985 times)

Offline reader50

• Enthusiast Member
Re: Hard Drives Setup
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2018, 02:25:33 PM »
All of this of course, IF you can get OS X Tiger or Panther to install at all.
I don't see why he could not, it just needs sorting out the drives so they're all writable. And perhaps burning a fresh copy of install disc #2.

My Sawtooth, using a SATA drive, is partitioned: (OS 9) / (10.2 + classic) / (10.3 + classic) / (10.4 + classic) / (10.5) -- all work.

I didn't bother with 10.0 or 10.1 because I never used those versions. I restored my Sawtooth (in theory) to regain access to some older games. Since I began using X with Jaguar, I don't have anything that needs the earlier versions.

Of course, now that it's fixed up, I'm still not playing the games. Add them to my pile of Steam + Humble Bundles that are waiting for attention. We need more hours in the day, or longer weekends.

macStuff

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2018, 03:38:18 PM »
For any additional drives would I use the OS9 utility to erase and format it with Mac OS Extended and the OS9 Drivers?

its called "Drive Setup" in os9
same shit as "Disk utility" in osx

Offline Smack2k

• Valued Member
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2018, 04:51:46 PM »
Excellent news.....I am picking up a Dual Proc QuickSilver tomorrow that happens to come with The Install DVDs for Tiger and OS 9....

I plan on setting them both up as I am not quitting on this Sawtooth...Hopefully the Tiger DVD will work....I am going to install OS 9 and Tiger on a 32 GB CF Card in the Sawtooth and then see if the SATA Card I have that is flashed will work in the Quicksilver.  If it doesnt, I have another IDE - CF Adapter and a 64 GB Card I can put in there...

Hopefully, it all finally starts to pan out, I am so tired of seeing Disc 2 fail on the Tiger installs.  I have even downloaded and tried the Mac Gardens Tiger, with similar issues.  The last attempt to install saw Disc 1 install fine, but on Reboot, it just sits at the Apple logo.....but this Sawtooth will not beat me, I will have the OS's installed in there one way or another!!

Offline Smack2k

• Valued Member
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2018, 04:52:41 PM »
Installed OS 9 to a CF Card with no Issues, the only issues seems to be coming from OS X 10.4 installs......

Gotta find another CD Set I guess

https://www.macintoshrepository.org/12343-mac-os-x-10-4-tiger-for-ppc

this will work if u have a DVD drive installed and burn it with a DVD-R
if not u are gonna have to find it on CD format

Thanks for this as well....I completely missed it in the thread earlier.....I am trying this one tonight...

Also, from another post above, I have my CF Adapters set for Master and Slave, not Cable Select, and Tiger keeps giving the Please reboot your system error when it boots with both CF Adapters hooked up.

macStuff

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2018, 05:54:44 AM »
are u using a single CF Adapter with dual (two) slots for 2 compact flash cards?

or are u using multiple (single) cf adapters (that have no master/slave jumpers) with IDE cable connecting them?

photos!
im only curious because i dont remember this osx Tiger "please reboot your system" error..
dont recall such an error .. but i do recall master/slave issues setting me back more than twice

Offline Smack2k

• Valued Member
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2018, 09:33:10 AM »
I can get some photos from it this weekend....

I am using two different IDE-CF Card Adapters in the system, with the Jumpers on one set to Master and the other to Slave.  The IDE Cable is setup the same, master and slave.

As soon as I take the slave CF Card Adapter out or just remove power from it, Tiger will boot to install...but now it Installs Disc 1, then reboots, but finds nothing on reboot and goes back into the initial install....on two different CF Cards....

Meanwhile, my OS 9.22 install on the other CF Card went without a hitch and it works great....

I am getting new discs tonight for Tiger and 9.2 so I will give it a shot with that, but if that fails,  I may run OS 9.22 on my Sawtooth and OS X Tiger on the Quicksilver and go from there

macStuff

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2018, 11:55:57 AM »
sounds like their master/slave implementation is not compatible
id be curious to experiment with some other adapters from different manufacturers

also,
what size (GB) are the cards?
are they both UDMA capable?
read/write speed? (266x etc)

Offline Smack2k

• Valued Member
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2018, 03:54:05 PM »
sounds like their master/slave implementation is not compatible
id be curious to experiment with some other adapters from different manufacturers

also,
what size (GB) are the cards?
are they both UDMA capable?
read/write speed? (266x etc)

16 GB Each - Same manufacturer
Not sure if UDMA capable, but either will install OS 9.22 with no issues.  Neiher will do Tiger, not will a 32 GB Sandisk...
Would have to check on Speed.....