Author Topic: Connecting to the Internet via Ethernet on a LAN  (Read 4100 times)

Offline jamunroe

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
Connecting to the Internet via Ethernet on a LAN
« on: April 12, 2016, 05:47:55 AM »
Hi There! My first question to this community so I apologize for any bloopers.

I have a G3 PowerBook Pismo and basically just use it for Super Wing Commander. I'd like to run other programs on it but can't seem to connect to the Internet in spite of having a LAN at work with several other computers connected. Also I have tried moving files using USB sticks but getting them to communicate from my El Capitan iMac has been hard. Does anyone have resources or hints on how to get me up to speed? My PB doesn't have a WiFi card. Thanks!

Offline davorin

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Connecting to the Internet via Ethernet on a LAN
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 01:44:24 PM »
Hello

Let me get this straight....so you can't connect to the internet with your ethernet port....but does your TCP/IP control panel shows any acquired IP address?

When you're talking about your LAN at work...is there a HTTP(S) proxy in place for security reason?

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 05:48:41 AM »
We need to establish whether your problem is because of something special about your work LAN, or whether you just need general help setting up the TCP/IP Control Panel.

When you say you can't connect to the internet, do you really mean that, or do you mean the WWW?

If it just WWW that is the problem, then as Davorin suggests, you may need to enter a proxy into your web browser prefs.
If there is no internet at all then your TCP/IP settings may need adjusting to suit the LAN (e.g. DHCP or static, Gateway address, Subnet mask)

Your LAN administrator should be able to provide this information.

If you don't know what to do with the info they provide, we can help.

Offline jamunroe

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 02:46:42 AM »
Gosh now I realize I had forgotten how to connect. Now I'm online and have a new problem: can't seem to download a browser (other than Internet Explorer, which works for a time) or find download links for abandonware that work. Wish those old "floppy" (3.5 inch disks weren't exactly floppy) disks I had in shelf after shelf back in the day. Thanks for your helpful input! I will try to do my homework before posting in future.